Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Ukraine

Initial reaction is good news. Makes Putin look weak, causes turmoil in the Russian state, possibly (please) Wagner troops trying to cause mayhem in Russia. Another precarious piece taken out of Putin’s Jenga tower of a country. 

Edited by LCFCCHRIS

If this is indeed hitting the fan in Russia,  ( early days yet to make that declaration) then surely it would be hard for a Russia to justify having troops in Ukraine when they might be needed in Moscow..:

I guess when you have soldiers serving you whose primary loyalty is to the highest bidder, sometimes the risk is that they'll want a bigger slice of the pie and look to get it either by going elsewhere, or causing an almighty fuss.

5 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Mental! What’s even more mental is that, didn’t Putin say that nuclear weapons would be used if a direct attack was made on Russia! What’s he going to do? Use them in russia!

I’m hoping this is sarcasm 🤣

4 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Interesting developments.

Either this is a ploy and ukraine is about to get bombed like nuts or shits going to get real between wagner and putins buddies.

People always look for a conspiracy in Russian stuff but this is absolutely genuine. 

Prighozin yesterday sewed the seeds that the whole war was built upon lies. If he’s flipping soldiers this easily then it’s pretty clear that that feeling is rife in the military. The more who flip, the more momentum will be gained. Rather than a coup it’s more likely to be a mutiny with army figures now feeling empowered to stand up against the ‘system’.

Early into the invasion, we saw rhetoric from a Russian TV presenter saying 'Why do we need a world if Russia isn't in it?'

I do wonder how prevalent that extreme view is inside Russia, however fringe it may be. And, what do Putin and the people currently in charge of this autocratic (under the guise of democracy) regime consider what 'Russia' is?

If things do go considerably south and Putin considers his leadership seriously under threat, is he going to try to escape, surrender, fight to the death, commit suicide, or is he going to press the button on his own people and those who he sees helped bring this situation about (Ukraine, the West, even China and India for not providing direct help)? That's providing that his people will even listen to him at that hypothetical point.

This is all conjecture, of course, and very extreme escalations from the current situation. But I do wonder what might happen in the long term because of this.

7 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Early into the invasion, we saw rhetoric from a Russian TV presenter saying 'Why do we need a world if Russia isn't in it?'

I do wonder how prevalent that extreme view is inside Russia, however fringe it may be. And, what do Putin and the people currently in charge of this autocratic (under the guise of democracy) regime consider what 'Russia' is?

If things do go considerably south and Putin considers his leadership seriously under threat, is he going to try to escape, surrender, fight to the death, commit suicide, or is he going to press the button on his own people and those who he sees helped bring this situation about (Ukraine, the West, even China and India for not providing direct help)? That's providing that his people will even listen to him at that hypothetical point.

This is all conjecture, of course, and very extreme escalations from the current situation. But I do wonder what might happen in the long term because of this.

Well, he's been on record as saying nuclear release would only be allowed if "the survival of the state is threatened". Of course, what exactly defines that is very much open to question, so goodness only knows.

Ideally, the best way to neutralise the man would be either to eliminate him in a way that he doesn't see coming, or offer him a "retirement" plan that allows him to save face and retain some nominal power in exchange for considerable concessions regarding Ukraine. That doesn't mean that the next guy will be any better, however.

4 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

I must be the only one who is worried about a terror attack on UK soil by Russia again at some point..

Have the Russians deliberately targeted British civilians on UK soil at any point directly before (as opposed to assassination operations against Russian nationals living in the UK)?

Just that "terror attack" tends to mean an attack designed to deliberately hurt or kill national civilians of the country it is carried out in IMO.