Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Ukraine

14 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 13.58.58.png

i can’t help but feel like they are trying to bring to light things they think MIGHT happen just to put a spotlight on it and say to Russia “ don’t even think about it” I mean, wasn’t it the SSU who warned us that Russia were about  to bomb the Nuclear power plant? Of course it never happened 

Either way, it’s a legitimate tactic to be used by the SSU, here…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MPH said:

i can’t help but feel like they are trying to bring to light things they think MIGHT happen just to put a spotlight on it and say to Russia “ don’t even think about it” I mean, wasn’t it the SSU who warned us that Russia were about  to bomb the Nuclear power plant? Of course it never happened 

Either way, it’s a legitimate tactic to be used by the SSU, here…

I agree but the fact it is being highlighted means it is a possibility ..  although highly unlikely.    For now ..  

46 minutes ago, MPH said:

id be interested to hear other peoples’ opinions on the significance of this….

The Chinese are many things, stupid or naive in matters of realpolitik is not one of them.

They'll play all sides depending on the current dynamic of the situation.

• Like 2

apparently according to Russian  propaganda when there was a food shortage in Britain, some restaurants started serving squirrel because we’d given so much money to Zelensky we couldn’t afford ‘normal’ food…

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, MPH said:

apparently according to Russian  propaganda when there was a food shortage in Britain, some restaurants started serving squirrel because we’d given so much money to Zelensky we couldn’t afford ‘normal’ food…

I love me a roasted squirrel.  Not one of those grey ones mind, a nice plump red squirrel.  Lovely.  Slava Ukraine!

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 08/08/2023 at 15:16, MPH said:

So in other words a complete spin on twist of what was reality…

I suppose  you can expect this kind of  thing as propaganda during a war…

These propaganda figureheads are clutching at British squirrels for a reason... They have to convince the viewers, who probably can read their bills and maybe notice the weakening ruble (not to mention the war getting closer to their homes now, with drone strikes/factories being blown up on Russian soil) that somehow people in the West have it worse. Any kind of fake news from abroad is worth spinning, as long as it makes the regular viewers think superior about themselves and how fuched the non-Russians are in comparison to them.

I remember the headline from Komsomolskaya Pravda, one of the major propaganda outlets, from last October, back when they were trying to fed people the narrative that without the Russian oil/gas/coal the whole of Europe will freeze during winter. The headline said  "Trees in famous Berlin park chopped down to get firewood: When winter comes, Europe might be left without any forests"... And under that "According to Bloomberg (...)". And if you were curious enough to check what Bloomberg really wrote, you would learn that the trees indeed were chopped in that famous Berlin park, only it had happened... after the end of Second World War.   (here's a Newsweek article debunking that Russian story https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-did-fuel-crisis-force-berliners-chop-trees-tiergarten-1752443)

We may laugh, but there are some people who watch and read these tall tales about squirrel eating Brits and Germans chopping their parks so they won't freeze and they actually believe it... They've been brainwashed for too long and after last year's full scale invasion there's no major alternative news outlets left in Russia to compete with the state tv and this kind of tabloids :(

Edited by Chester Dontlie
  • Like 1

Are the western sanctions and costs of the war finally having an effect? The consequences of waging war need to to become apparent to ordinary Russians for it to end. Perhaps higher inflation, etc will finally bring the chickens home to roost. Not holding my breath though.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/aug/14/rouble-falls-to-16-month-low-dollar-russian-exports-collapse-war-ukraine-russia-economy

https://x.com/justin_br0nk/status/1692945983527666061?s=61&t=ww1scXM6XHavc7jSgJtFfg

the above link is some massive news that has been overlooked…. The gripen fighter is already being tested by Ukranian pilots. Whilst F16s now appear to have a loose time frame before being handed over to The Ukrainians, it can be argued that the Gripen is a superior fighter Jet to the F16. But of course not close to the 5th gen fighters. But then again, nothing is..

(The Gripen is a 4th gen fighter made by Saab of Sweden)

here’s a comparison between the Gripen and the F16

https://sofrep.com/fightersweep/dogfight-f-16v-viper-versus-j-39e-gripen/

Edited by MPH
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, MPH said:

https://x.com/justin_br0nk/status/1692945983527666061?s=61&t=ww1scXM6XHavc7jSgJtFfg

the above link is some massive news that has been overlooked…. The gripen fighter is already being tested by Ukranian pilots. Whilst F16s now appear to have a loose time frame before being handed over to The Ukrainians, it can be argued that the Gripen is a superior fighter Jet to the F16. But of course not close to the 5th gen fighters. But then again, nothing is..

(The Gripen is a 4th gen fighter made by Saab of Sweden)

here’s a comparison between the Gripen and the F16

https://sofrep.com/fightersweep/dogfight-f-16v-viper-versus-j-39e-gripen/

Interesting ..  

(wonder how our typhoon compares to these)  ..  

How exactly would f-16’s help? The Russian air force aren’t even going close to the border and all missile strikes are done from the sea. Would it just be hitting Russian targets in occupied territory. 

Ukraine’s best weapon has been the drones even from a psychological perspective. 

4 hours ago, Lionator said:

How exactly would f-16’s help? The Russian air force aren’t even going close to the border and all missile strikes are done from the sea. Would it just be hitting Russian targets in occupied territory. 

Ukraine’s best weapon has been the drones even from a psychological perspective. 

I think I read somewhere that some of those long range missiles are far more accurate/effective when air launched.  And as they are vastly superior to what they have at the moment they can get closer to the action on the ground to give more assistance ..  for example they could take out some of the Russian attack helicopters. 

13 hours ago, Lionator said:

also having air support from distance during an offensive would take out any and all artillery positions that would hamper their progress. It’s the distance that would be the game changer.. it wouldn’t be about taking on the Russian Air Force, it would be about air support for a ground offensive..

However I do see a few major issues with F16s.. any and every airport/ airfield  housing F16s would be an immediate target for Russian ballistic and hypersonic missiles. Also having the F16s is one thing but having the maintenance crews and mechanics trained and capable to maintain them will be a massive logistical nightmare… If NATO is true to its word about having no troops on the ground then I don’t think there is such a thing as civilian teams of F16 mechanics as it’s a military weapon it’s most likely military crews maintaining them.  Outside of NATO, I doubt very much Turkey, Egypt or Israel will donate any crew That leaves Taiwan who I am almost sure would NOT want to risk any involvement that could risk angering China let alone risking any of their own mechanics who they’ll want to be maintaining their own planes in readiness for any of their own conflicts…. That really only leaves South Korea as big owners of F16s who might have the capacity to maintain them… @leicsmac might be better placed to offer  a thought on their potential willingness to get involved with that..

Note that I mentioned the Gripen fighter a couple of days ago - all supplied and owned by Sweden who are of course not NATO members and therefore not bound by the no troops on the ground pledge, even if it’s just military maintenance crews..

Edited by MPH

5 hours ago, MPH said:

also having air support from distance during an offensive would take out any and all artillery positions that would hamper their progress. It’s the distance that would be the game changer.. it wouldn’t be about taking on the Russian Air Force, it would be about air support for a ground offensive..

However I do see a few major issues with F16s.. any and every airport/ airfield  housing F16s would be an immediate target for Russian ballistic and hypersonic missiles. Also having the F16s is one thing but having the maintenance crews and mechanics trained and capable to maintain them will be a massive logistical nightmare… If NATO is true to its word about having no troops on the ground then I don’t think there is such a thing as civilian teams of F16 mechanics as it’s a military weapon it’s most likely military crews maintaining them.  Outside of NATO, I doubt very much Turkey, Egypt or Israel will donate any crew That leaves Taiwan who I am almost sure would NOT want to risk any involvement that could risk angering China let alone risking any of their own mechanics who they’ll want to be maintaining their own planes in readiness for any of their own conflicts…. That really only leaves South Korea as big owners of F16s who might have the capacity to maintain them… @leicsmac might be better placed to offer  a thought on their potential willingness to get involved with that..

Note that I mentioned the Gripen fighter a couple of days ago - all supplied and owned by Sweden who are of course not NATO members and therefore not bound by the no troops on the ground pledge, even if it’s just military maintenance crews..

The general sentiment over here can be summed up as "good luck Ukraine, but we can't get massively involved".