Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Ukraine

46 minutes ago, westernpark said:

There has been some good news today, within all the obvious glum. Ukrainian negotiators praising(not right word) but effectively the case, for Russia beginning to be more constructive in talks. They even said they expect some good results in the next few days. Info is on the guardian live section(free of charge). 

Missed this, and I hope something comes of it… thanks for sharing 

7 hours ago, Izzy said:

I had a JW knock at the front door a few weeks ago. To his surprise, I offered him in for a cup of tea.

We sat down and I said “Right then, what happens now?”

He replied “I’ve no idea, I’ve never got this far before’

:D

That’s brilliant. I’m trying this next time 

The 'Homes for Ukraine' is a great scheme and fair play to anyone who offers to take people in.

If i was in a position to, i would certainly consider it.

The thing is, Its nice of the government to offer £350 per month for doing it, but the cost of living is rising by the day. Things like fuel & Gas / Electric are rising at an eye watering, and quite frankly un affordable rate. £350 p/m won't even cover the increase in my fuel and gas / electric let alone another person under my roof.

The government need to look after the crisis of their own people before they expect people to be financially safe enough to help others.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

The 'Homes for Ukraine' is a great scheme and fair play to anyone who offers to take people in.

The thing is, Its nice of the government to offer £350 per month for doing it, but the cost of living is rising by the day. Things like fuel & Gas / Electric are rising at an eye watering, and quite frankly un affordable rate. £350 p/m won't even cover the increase in my fuel and gas / electric let alone another person under my roof.

The government need to look after the crisis of their own people before they expect people to be financially safe enough to help others.

Your gas/electric has gone up by over 4,000 quid a year?

On 09/03/2022 at 17:32, String fellow said:

China is tacitly supporting Russia. Someone on here only yesterday referred to a reference that 'China is Russia's iron-clad ally', or words to that effect. If the West were to ban all trade with China, that would to stop Beijing's tacit support for Russia. Remember that Taiwan is China's goal, so support for Russia now is their way of getting the favour returned in the future. 

Ban all trade with China? There'd be nothing left to buy unless you were very rich. 

It’s going to take some skullduggery and false flag behavior on our own behalf before NATO get involved, it seems.  I’m not suggesting we do it, btw, but some ‘ rogue Russian’ brigade fireing into Poland ( *cough* Ukrainians *cough*)  to ‘ cut off a supply route and NATO will have no choice but to intervene..:

Edited by MPH

2 hours ago, adejo92 said:

Do you have to pay income tax on this? 

8 hours ago, Sly said:

With how poorly the Ukraine invasion has  gone, does Russia have the army and arsenal to push further into Europe?  

Depends on how mad Putin his, if the rumours are true about him having cancer then for him he's got nothing to lose. But lets face world war three would be a war with no winners, the world would be wiped out with nuclear missiles hitting each side. The one thing I could say, Ukraine have defended so heroically they have certainly put a lot of Russia military equipment out of action. Costing the war more money and Russia troops lives for Putin. After this conflict it's going to take a while for Russia to be able to recoup their army loses.       

9 hours ago, Sly said:

With how poorly the Ukraine invasion has  gone, does Russia have the army and arsenal to push further into Europe?  

Depends on the Country. There’s a chance he could blind side  us all and veer off into Moldova but he has very little to gain  from being there, I think, other than more of a presence on the peninsula.  It’s a very poor country and other than  more ocean access I wouldn’t know of a benefit. Got the makings of a good port down into the Black Sea  but if he’s already got crimea I don’t see the point? They are constitutionally neutral and don’t allow any foreign troops on their land so they’d be easy pickings..

In a video address he said: "If you don't close our sky, it is only a matter of time before Russian rockets fall on your territory, on Nato territory."

this is the sort of thing I meant earlier- some captured Russian rockets getting fired into a trade route into Poland… 

I know it’s far fetched…  but NATO would have no option but to ‘ defend’ Poland..

Edited by MPH

Managed to get contact with someone I know from Russia. For obvious reasons they darent even go into detail about what Russia is like now (first port of call is to check your phone if you are ever arrested) but given this is a person whose been raised in Putin’s era, they are utterly aghast at what’s occurring. 

A lot of the creative industries are getting ‘squashed’. So friends of there’s are either escaping or being told you must absolutely toe the party line. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

8 hours ago, MPH said:

Depends on the Country. There’s a chance he could blind side  us all and veer off into Moldova but he has very little to gain  from being there, I think, other than more of a presence on the peninsula.  It’s a very poor country and other than  more ocean access I wouldn’t know of a benefit. Got the makings of a good port down into the Black Sea  but if he’s already got crimea I don’t see the point? They are constitutionally neutral and don’t allow any foreign troops on their land so they’d be easy pickings..

there is a separatist Russian speaking area in Moldova - transinistria

1 hour ago, Sly said:

Russia reaching out to China for aid, albeit to get around sanctions or for weapons, medical care or support on the ground further escalated this. 

I can’t believe Russia needs arms at this stage - assume this is a strategy to stop the west arming ukraine by gerrymandering an agreement that neither side are allowed any assistance but humanitarian.  Russia can bring in lots of stuff under the cover of being arms shipments via China aswell. Basically it’s a way around the sanctions. 

• Like 2

I see that India is happy to negotiate to take discounted Russian crude oil from Russia 

we cannot stop countries doing this but we also need to let them understand that there will be diplomatic and economic consequences

fortunately this Isn’t just our battle so the USA and Europe will be able to carry some clout - we have little ! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I see that India is happy to negotiate to take discounted Russian crude oil from Russia 

we cannot stop countries doing this but we also need to let them understand that there will be diplomatic and economic consequences

fortunately this Isn’t just our battle so the USA and Europe will be able to carry some clout - we have little ! 

Modi has no shame

15 hours ago, adejo92 said:

the bit i enjoyed in the article that I read, is that it costs them £200 per day for hotel accommodation, so this is a cheaper alternative. 

• Haha 1

I would imagine that all thought of Russia invading the Baltic states, Poland and Moldova have disappeared into thin air, given the appalling mess their military has made in Ukraine. They're having to turn to Syrian and Chechen pro-government forces to stiffen their forces resolve (by shooting them), and they are having to turn to China for drones (according to US intelligence, who have got everything right in the current conflict, thanks to friends in the Russian intelligence service who don't support the invasion). It's not the best way to run a war. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thursday_next said:

I would imagine that all thought of Russia invading the Baltic states, Poland and Moldova have disappeared into thin air, given the appalling mess their military has made in Ukraine. They're having to turn to Syrian and Chechen pro-government forces to stiffen their forces resolve (by shooting them), and they are having to turn to China for drones (according to US intelligence, who have got everything right in the current conflict, thanks to friends in the Russian intelligence service who don't support the invasion). It's not the best way to run a war. 

Demonstrates why we must do everything to not escalate this. Russia doesn’t have the intentions now, if ever, to go much further. If a missile was fired onto NATO territory, I still believe we’d see people round a table first then firing one back. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

the bit i enjoyed in the article that I read, is that it costs them £200 per day for hotel accommodation, so this is a cheaper alternative. 

Makes sense though, because the £200 per day means every taxpayer is paying over the odds. The £350 per month incentive for households isn't really going to earn anyone a huge profit but it will cover the costs for those doing good whilst also limiting further economical problems for the rest of the country

Oil down 5% this morning, considerably on last week. Despite this pump prices still going up daily. We all know of the rocket & feather effect, but surely if oil stabilises they will have to make pretty swift reductions at the pumps. Or are they profiteering?!

1 minute ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Oil down 5% this morning, considerably on last week. Despite this pump prices still going up daily. We all know of the rocket & feather effect, but surely if oil stabilises they will have to make pretty swift reductions at the pumps. Or are they profiteering?!

Course they're profiteering, the petrol we buy at the pumps started out as oil 4 weeks ago. The forecourts would have ordered  it 8 weeks ago so in theory we should see a price increase in a couple of weeks, the bit in the middle is profiteering.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

47 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Course they're profiteering, the petrol we buy at the pumps started out as oil 4 weeks ago. The forecourts would have ordered  it 8 weeks ago so in theory we should see a price increase in a couple of weeks, the bit in the middle is profiteering.

It’s v easy to put prices up in a crisis …….. and the slower you reduce the price the higher the profit you retain.  As a seller, you generally lose on the way up and make on the way down. Because rises are at a sharper rate than falls, you rarely lose over the entire cycle. 

• Like 1