Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Ukraine

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It’s v easy to put prices up in a crisis …….. and the slower you reduce the price the higher the profit you retain.  As a seller, you generally lose on the way up and make on the way down. Because rises are at a sharper rate than falls, you rarely lose over the entire cycle. 

I just really hope that motorists are economising because once they see they can get away with 2 quid a litre, theres nothing to stop them keeping the prices at that price, Theres no protection for the consumer. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, nnfox said:

The Homes for Ukraine seems like a good idea and the humanitarian crisis is something that needs immediate attention but I am concerned that the speed by which it's implemented might lead to slack vetting checks on potential hosts.  There's an awful lot of vulnerable women and children looking for a safe place to stay and plenty of people ready to take advantage of that fact whilst getting paid for doing so.

I hope there is a thorough check as well. When we were in Iraq we had special forces who would work undercover planting gps receivers at strategic places so the missiles would be able to zero in on a target. Last thing we need is a bunch of Russian agents doing the same here.

4 hours ago, nnfox said:

The Homes for Ukraine seems like a good idea and the humanitarian crisis is something that needs immediate attention but I am concerned that the speed by which it's implemented might lead to slack vetting checks on potential hosts.  There's an awful lot of vulnerable women and children looking for a safe place to stay and plenty of people ready to take advantage of that fact whilst getting paid for doing so.

Ironically couple of pages back they were getting slated for dragging their feet

6 minutes ago, thursday_next said:

Oh, that poor woman who went on Russian TV with a placard protesting the war during their main bulletin. That's true courage. Apparently she'd been an employee for years on the station and she got fed up with broadcasting Kremlin propaganda. I hate to think of how they're treating her in prison. She is a genuine hero :(:(

For anyone who hasn't seen the video:

• Like 3

17 hours ago, westernpark said:

Demonstrates why we must do everything to not escalate this. Russia doesn’t have the intentions now, if ever, to go much further. If a missile was fired onto NATO territory, I still believe we’d see people round a table first then firing one back. 

You would hope so. Negotiation is the only way out. Agreements based upon those when the soviet union disappeared.. I don't believe Russia will fire on NATO though and I'd hope nato wouldn't respond.. 

20 hours ago, EnderbyFox said:

This reads like a parody headline lol what a strange timeline this is 

I don't find this funny to be honest people's lives are at stake an this buffoon is making a mockery of it. Also these so called self made billionaires or whatever must feel so entitled to the point that their names have to be in everything. 

Edited by NasPb
  • Like 2

It’s odd how some people are all of a sudden uncomfortable with things, now the onus is on them to do something.

Having said that, I think I heard something along the lines of 40k+ have registered firm interest. :appl:

Fair play to them.

39 minutes ago, Strokes said:

It’s odd how some people are all of a sudden uncomfortable with things, now the onus is on them to do something.

Having said that, I think I heard something along the lines of 40k+ have registered firm interest. :appl:

Fair play to them.

The government has launched its Homes for Ukraine site for those wanting to host a refugee, with 89,000 signing up within the first day.

From the BBC. Not bad at all.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NasPb said:

You would hope so. Negotiation is the only way out. Agreements based upon those when the soviet union disappeared.. I don't believe Russia will fire on NATO though and I'd hope nato wouldn't respond.. 

NATO has insisted that it is purely a defensive group of countries (apart from when requested to be aggressive by UN sc resolution)

if fired upon within a NATO country then it has to respond in some way but you would hope that it would be proportionate (and it would not have to be a military response ). To ignore a provocation of that nature would be a poor decision and send the wrong message to putin.

19 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

NATO has insisted that it is purely a defensive group of countries (apart from when requested to be aggressive by UN sc resolution)

if fired upon within a NATO country then it has to respond in some way but you would hope that it would be proportionate (and it would not have to be a military response ). To ignore a provocation of that nature would be a poor decision and send the wrong message to putin.

I understand the formalities and what in theory NATO is, but responding back to fire with gasoline could probably cause the death of millions. 

33 minutes ago, NasPb said:

I understand the formalities and what in theory NATO is, but responding back to fire with gasoline could probably cause the death of millions. 

Like I said, it depends what attack arrives on NATO territory 

if its a few shells or small missile strike away from people and property that could be construed as misplaced firing on western ukraine, then you would hope that the response would be proportional. If it’s ignored then that will encourage putin in the same way that the west’s inept response to the recognition of Donbas and Luhansk on the Tuesday gave putin what he thought was an effective green light to do what he wanted later that week with the invasion. 

30 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

I'm uncomfortable with the scheme, I'd absolutely expect this to be more government led. Honestly though, I'd like our government to have pre-planned how to deal with various crises including potential domestic ones. 

We have a housing shortage in the UK as it is. England has the highest population density in Europe.

As a country we can offer many things, an abundance of empty homes isn't one of them. As such, the only solution the government has is to invite people to open their doors. The issue is what will happen in 6 months, when it is realised that the Ukraine remains unstable and people aren't willing to return to their homes.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, kenny said:

We have a housing shortage in the UK as it is. England has the highest population density in Europe.

As a country we can offer many things, an abundance of empty homes isn't one of them. As such, the only solution the government has is to invite people to open their doors. The issue is what will happen in 6 months, when it is realised that the Ukraine remains unstable and people aren't willing to return to their homes.

... and the largest country on the planet by area, with an incredibly low population density, wants to annex the largest country by area entirely within Europe.

Let's hope that Putin meets the same fate as another infamous Russian - Ras-putin!

Edited by String fellow

1 hour ago, String fellow said:

... and the largest country on the planet by area, with an incredibly low population density, wants to annex the largest country by area entirely within Europe.

Let's hope that Putin meets the same fate as another infamous Russian - Ras-putin!

Rasputin gets a bad press, in my opinion. True, most people looked at him with terror and fear - but to Moscow chicks he was such a lovely dear.

A complex fellow.