Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Ukraine

So I’m assuming Belarus is getting sanctioned for its role in all this? Not hearing much about all that..

but that triggers another point… can you imagine how badly this invasion would be going if Russia didn’t have the support  of the Belarusians?  I mean it’s somewhat botched as it is but it would be so much worse without their support

WRT Biden calling Putin a "war criminal":

"Russia has angrily condemned the "unacceptable and unforgivable rhetoric", with officials in Moscow accusing the Americans of having killed "hundreds of thousands of people around the world"."

I mean, it's a typical whataboutery response but that last part is technically correct: look at the Middle East and Latin America. Oh, and some of SE Asia too.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

WRT Biden calling Putin a "war criminal":

"Russia has angrily condemned the "unacceptable and unforgivable rhetoric", with officials in Moscow accusing the Americans of having killed "hundreds of thousands of people around the world"."

I mean, it's a typical whataboutery response but that last part is technically correct: look at the Middle East and Latin America. Oh, and some of SE Asia too.

biden just about squeezes out of this one for me on the basis that he didn’t orchestrate any of that.

we all know that Putin  is in charge right now in Russia and everything is on him….

1 minute ago, MPH said:

biden just about squeezes out of this one for me on the basis that he didn’t orchestrate any of that.

we all know that Putin  is in charge right now in Russia and everything is on him….

That's a fair point.

26 minutes ago, MPH said:

Biden has been around US politics for a long time, he has to take some accountability imo.  Still as a response it is pretty hilarious "takes one to know one"|

3 hours ago, MPH said:

Absolutely not. POTUS is an office, an elected position (indirectly) and it carries around all past victories and offences, the US isn’t a despotic regime!

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Col city fan said:

It makes me wonder what will happen to Putin when this terrible mess reaches some sort of conclusion. 
‘I’d honestly not be surprised if the cvnt gets off scot-free for fear of ‘inciting another war’ or something along those lines

I have absolutely no doubt he will. Nobody can touch him. He'll never be held accountable for anything unfortunately. 

5 hours ago, MPH said:

So I’m assuming Belarus is getting sanctioned for its role in all this? Not hearing much about all that..

but that triggers another point… can you imagine how badly this invasion would be going if Russia didn’t have the support  of the Belarusians?  I mean it’s somewhat botched as it is but it would be so much worse without their support

I imagine they'd have gone for a much slower approach or just attempted to take the regions they were initially citing as reasons to invade.

Are the two Leicester fans who’ve driven to help out at the Ukraine/Poland border on here? Absolutely amazing effort!

They’re featured in the Guardian Football Weekly podcast from yesterday. Skip to about 11 mins from the end.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/audio/2022/mar/16/manchester-united-bow-out-and-chelsea-statement-saga-football-weekly-podcast

2 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

I have absolutely no doubt he will. Nobody can touch him. He'll never be held accountable for anything unfortunately. 

He has his own  SS style palace guard - internal security service some 400k strong to ensure that .

if the Russian people decide they’ve had enough of this vampire and the kleptomaniacs who back him they could do a lot worse than try to persuade the fantastically courageous , dignified ( and beautiful) t v editor who held up that sign to stand for president 

8 hours ago, MPH said:

you could probably buy Belarus with money found down the back of the sofa so there's not much mileage in it - but your point is valid- it might result in their glove puppet Lukashenko  getting the Ceaucescu treatment 

15 minutes ago, surrifox said:

you could probably buy Belarus with money found down the back of the sofa so there's not much mileage in it - but your point is valid- it might result in their glove puppet Lukashenko  getting the Ceaucescu treatment 

Working with folks in Belarus for many years, I do not imagine there would be days of mourning, thats for sure....

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

I’m sure his face is getting fatter as the weeks go by …… perhaps he is on steroids …..

Yes McDonald's did shut up shop but where did all there frozen burgers go.

Think that puzzles been solved.

2 hours ago, surrifox said:

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Working with folks in Belarus for many years, I do not imagine there would be days of mourning, thats for sure....

they protested vehemently after the last election was rigged but sadly the russian and Belarusian  security services and police were quite draconian with their treatment of protesters 

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, bovril said:

Big exodus of rich Russians to Dubai apparently last night. It all seems to be building towards something extremely bad.

Very surprised many of them have gotten out the country. Still no martial law, yet. 

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Big exodus of rich Russians to Dubai apparently last night. It all seems to be building towards something extremely bad.

Perhaps the v wealthy ones are nervous of putin losing control and a modern day version of the Bolshevik revolution! 

Edited by st albans fox

3 minutes ago, blabyboy said:

Would the law really apply to them though???

Some of them most certainly, likely to be seen as too Western and will be targets for propaganda. I see much of Putins rhetoric yesterday as preparation for post-war Russia. I think he plans to get on with domestic agenda like nothing has happened, getting rid of those with Western links, likely to be linked to wealth, is one way to support this.

Edited by westernpark
Unclear