Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Ukraine

Just catching up on this. 

I don’t know why, but when I watch the reports, I’m still shocked at some of the things I see.

Innocent people are dying and we’re sat here watching it happen.

It’s not right, it’s really, really not right and if we won’t move against them I fear of the crazy Willy puller pressing the nukes, we can only sanction them to the point they’re isolated for generations. Again though, that isn’t fair on the members of the public that would oppose this. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Sly said:

Just catching up on this. 

I don’t know why, but when I watch the reports, I’m still shocked at some of the things I see.

Innocent people are dying and we’re sat here watching it happen.

It’s not right, it’s really, really not right and if we won’t move against them I fear of the crazy Willy puller pressing the nukes, we can only sanction them to the point they’re isolated for generations. Again though, that isn’t fair on the members of the public that would oppose this. 

Any kind of direct NATO action would without doubt involve many many more deaths than the current limited Ukraine war.  So yes we are not going in, but the Ukrainian ability to defend themselves has been successful in no small part due to the NATO supplied weapons and intelligence.  I have no doubt Ukrainian forces have near perfect imagery of exactly what the Russians are doing.  Ukraine will still be a mostly independent country at the end of this horror because of this support.

15 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Any kind of direct NATO action would without doubt involve many many more deaths than the current limited Ukraine war.  So yes we are not going in, but the Ukrainian ability to defend themselves has been successful in no small part due to the NATO supplied weapons and intelligence.  I have no doubt Ukrainian forces have near perfect imagery of exactly what the Russians are doing.  Ukraine will still be a mostly independent country at the end of this horror because of this support.

what exactly is a ‘ mostly’ independent country?

surely you are either independent or you’re not?

6 minutes ago, MPH said:

what exactly is a ‘ mostly’ independent country?

surely you are either independent or you’re not?

Putin is demanding the recognition of Crimea and the Donbass regions.  Suspect Ukraine will have to agree to the first and some kind of referendum for the second which they will lose.  Also likely to have to commit by treaty not to join NATO.  SO mostly what they had control of a few weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Putin is demanding the recognition of Crimea and the Donbass regions.  Suspect Ukraine will have to agree to the first and some kind of referendum for the second which they will lose.  Also likely to have to commit by treaty not to join NATO.  SO mostly what they had control of a few weeks ago.

Crimea was recognized by Russia  as being part of Ukraine in 1954.. the Ukrainians will just remind Russia of this. I highly doubt Zelensky  will ever sign any agreement that goes to the contrary. First Crimea, then the Donbas, what next? Putin has already gone on record recently  saying that Ukraine has no historical right to exist as a sovereign nation. Putin is breaking the 1954 agreement, the Minsk agreement over the Donbas so why should they trust any agreement Putin makes anyway?

9 minutes ago, MPH said:

Crimea was recognized by Russia  as being part of Ukraine in 1954.. the Ukrainians will just remind Russia of this. I highly doubt Zelensky  will ever sign any agreement that goes to the contrary. First Crimea, then the Donbas, what next? Putin has already gone on record recently  saying that Ukraine has no historical right to exist as a sovereign nation. Putin is breaking the 1954 agreement, the Minsk agreement over the Donbas so why should they trust any agreement Putin makes anyway?

...assuming this is all true and will be stuck to as a point of fact, then it would imply that negotiations are pretty much meaningless.

What then?

9 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

...assuming this is all true and will be stuck to as a point of fact, then it would imply that negotiations are pretty much meaningless.

What then?

well Zelensky  has already conceded that Ukraine will not Join NATO. That was a huge key demand for Putin. Any other tidbits of concessions Putin can get ( like a  symbolic commitment to fight naziism ) will all be about  saving face for  Russia,  considering how botched this invasion has become. ANYTHING Putin can grab hold of to turn this into a victory, he will take.

Edited by MPH

3 minutes ago, MPH said:

well Zelensky  has already conceded that Ukraine will not Join NATO. That was a huge key demand for Putin. Any other tidbits of concessions Putin can get ( like a  symbolic commitment to fight naziism ) will all be about  saving face for  Russia,  considering how botched this invasion has become. ANYTHING Putin can grab hold of to turn this into a victory, he will take.

Well, yes.

I'm just wondering how an agreement would be reached if a deal for Crimea/Donbass is off the table entirely. I can't see Russia/Putin sticking around for any agreement that doesn't include something on those in there.

17 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Well, yes.

I'm just wondering how an agreement would be reached if a deal for Crimea/Donbass is off the table entirely. I can't see Russia/Putin sticking around for any agreement that doesn't include something on those in there.

I totally get what you’re saying, and there may be something in any final deal that includes the Donbas somehow, but I don’t think Putin is holding as many cards as he once thought he did. A monumental defensive effort that has stalled the Russian advance on many fronts, unprecedented sanctions that even the Germans appear to finally be on board with  and large support both financially and with military equipment seems to have emboldened the Ukrainian stance.

9 minutes ago, MPH said:

I totally get what you’re saying, and there may be something in any final deal that includes the Donbas somehow, but I don’t think Putin is holding as many cards as he once thought he did. A monumental defensive effort that has stalled the Russian advance on many fronts, unprecedented sanctions that even the Germans appear to finally be on board with  and large support both financially and with military equipment seems to have emboldened the Ukrainian stance.

That's true. However, Putin knows if he backs away with only the NATO obligation from all of this he's pretty much finished (tbh he may well be anyway but that's another discussion), so I'm thinking if at least Crimea isn't involved in future discussion he'll keep on just for the purposes of spite/Sunk Cost Fallacy.

35 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

That's true. However, Putin knows if he backs away with only the NATO obligation from all of this he's pretty much finished (tbh he may well be anyway but that's another discussion), so I'm thinking if at least Crimea isn't involved in future discussion he'll keep on just for the purposes of spite/Sunk Cost Fallacy.

Yes, which is exactly why the Crimea will be on the table.  I suspect the Donbass they can agree a ceasefire and some kind of longer term agreement on a quasi independent status.  The commitment to take on the far right groups is also something they will be willing to agree I think.  

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Like 1

I’m not keen on the Ukraine not being allowed to join NATO bit of i’m honest. 

It’s no different to bullying and someone stating “don’t be friends with them, otherwise I’ll hit you”.

This entire not want NATO on his doorstep of bonkers. He’s a tyrant and a Dictator. The sooner he’s gone, the better ultimately. Not just for the sake of Eastern Europe, but Russia and the rest of the world. 

Our stance on this does make a mockery of the invasion of Iraq though. We went in because we believed they have weapons of mass destruction. Let’s be honest here, the only reason we’ve not hit Russia is because we know he’ll potentially be trigger happy with the launch buttons should NATO get involved. It would be his only exit plan.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sly said:

I’m not keen on the Ukraine not being allowed to join NATO bit of i’m honest. 

It’s no different to bullying and someone stating “don’t be friends with them, otherwise I’ll hit you”.

This entire not want NATO on his doorstep of bonkers. He’s a tyrant and a Dictator. The sooner he’s gone, the better ultimately. Not just for the sake of Eastern Europe, but Russia and the rest of the world. 

Our stance on this does make a mockery of the invasion of Iraq though. We went in because we believed they have weapons of mass destruction. Let’s be honest here, the only reason we’ve not hit Russia is because we know he’ll potentially be trigger happy with the launch buttons should NATO get involved. It would be his only exit plan.  

It is a pretty good reason no? He is an old man, he wont be around for ever.

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Yes, which is exactly why the Crimea will be on the table.  I suspect the Donbass they can agree a ceasefire and some kind of longer term agreement on a quasi independent status.  The commitment to take on the far right groups is also something they will be willing to agree I think.  

Azov battalion have fought like ****ing lions in the south east though and continue to do so every day, how do they not end up being seen as national heroes when this war ends?

2 hours ago, z-layrex said:

Azov battalion have fought like ****ing lions in the south east though and continue to do so every day, how do they not end up being seen as national heroes when this war ends?

Because they're legitimately full of nazi's? Although that problem can be dealt with once this war is over.

Edited by Lionator

2 hours ago, z-layrex said:

Not to be the stereotypical Brit banging on about "The War", but the Russians took an absolute pounding in '41 around the Sea of Azov so they've got form.

Listening to the UK defence minister talking this morning threw up a few interesting points ...   he talked about the Russians stalling saying that driving forward through the countryside was the easier part and that taking a city was the hard part.  Figures suggest that for every one defender killed 5 attacking soldiers are killed.  If the civilian population is 100% behind the defenders that moves to 14 to 1.  Quite eye opening statistics !   He also mentioned about the more sticky points they had to agree to during the peace talks , obviously NATO membership was a prerequisite (and I'm convinced that is not as big a problem as it would appear and have mentioned why earlier) but also brought up the de-Nazification issue which apparently relates to some far right groups in the population .... I just thought this was one of Putins rants with no real foundation ...   maybe not ...   but again not a real stumbling block and easy to agree to.

Just thinking that Ukraine should play the Russians at their own game.

Agree not to join NATO, agree to recognise Crimea and the Donbas regions as Russian,

wait for the Russians to go home then say, actually we’ve changed our minds.

• Like 1