Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Ukraine

1 hour ago, MPH said:

if the Russians are indeed now focusing on the Donbas region then that can only be considered. MAJOR victory for the Ukrainians. However I don’t think they’ll sit back and start the repairing… I think they’ll continue chasing them even into the Donbas area.. which I think might be a bit foolish but, it’s Ukrainian territory so I guess that’s there choice..

Unless they’re are pulling back to make way for something more devestating.

Fundamentally without stating so, it would appear that Putin is winding down the war. Focusing on parts that could be legitimate (his opinion) targets.

I would hope that the primary target for all posters on this thread has been avoid nuclear Holocaust. 
Maybe we won’t see the ceasefire that I predicted, but we’ll see a war that is far less threatening to us.

Nonetheless, it has awoken the west to this war criminal who committed atrocities in 2014 and we can play the long game with the dictator.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Every thing that Russian authorities say should be taken with a pinch of salt. Putin is as trustworthy as Trump or Johnson. 

32 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

It’s possible. They could be cutting back so they are not in the way of any of those mini nuclear weapons they are talking about…

but they are claiming that they are focusing on the Donbas region now..

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

Russia of all nations should understand the implications of radioactive fall out so close to their own border.

Even if Putin was deranged enough to wait for a westerly wind, his generals might have some sense of self preservation.

Still, I will be allright, spent my toddler years and up learning how to react to the four minute warning.

Just hope those generals arent so blase with their nuclear shelters as I am with the under the stairs option

54 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

...having possibly the most reviled person in Western current affairs (a reminder that that's not all of the world) agreeing that you made good points must be a mite awkward for Ms Rowling.

Hitler was a vegetarian teetotaller who was apparently very kind to animals. Does that make things awkward for all veggies, non-drinkers and animal lovers?

14 minutes ago, marbles said:

I actually laughed for 5 minutes after reading the first paragraph 

https://news.yahoo.com/russian-troops-attack-own-commanding-192031366.html

Friendly fire - isn't.

13 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Hitler was a vegetarian teetotaller who was apparently very kind to animals. Does that make things awkward for all veggies, non-drinkers and animal lovers?

Depends. Were they directly referenced by name by the aforementioned genocidal maniac?

I just find the whole thing darkly amusing due to my own take on Ms Rowling's stance towards an incredibly marginalised community, tbh.

Anyhow, on topic, looks like the Russians have moved very much into US Vietnam-style "saving face" mode given their latest announcement.

9 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Something appears to be happening,  possible withdrawal to concentrate on the Donbas region. I think the real threat is from this nutter.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2022/mar/25/kim-jong-un-stars-in-film-of-missile-launch-on-north-korean-tv-video

Nah South Korea and the US could take out his capability in about 15 minutes.  The risk in NK is the large ground forces who would pour over the border when they did leading to a bloodbath.

17 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Nah South Korea and the US could take out his capability in about 15 minutes.  The risk in NK is the large ground forces who would pour over the border when they did leading to a bloodbath.

Additionally, they have other WMD than the nuclear devices. A chemical strike on a population centre would be devastating.

But yes, the NK's know they don't win any conflict with the South - the best they could hope for is the destruction of both countries, which is not their objective.

21 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Ridiculous the world we live in. Japan considering getting Nukes and going against their post-WWII pacifism. 

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Well the Ukrainians now wish they hadn’t given up theirs three decades ago ……

It's a darkly interesting thing to consider how this might have played out if the Ukrainians had retained their nuclear arsenal.

Would they have used it if they felt they were on the edge of loss? And as Russia would no doubt have responded in kind, would such an exchange have remained limited to those two countries? Probably so tbh, similar to India and Pakistan. It wouldn't have been pretty, though.

Edited by leicsmac

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

It's a darkly interesting thing to consider how this might have played out if the Ukrainians had retained their nuclear arsenal.

Would they have used it if they felt they were on the edge of loss? And as Russia would no doubt have responded in kind, would such an exchange have remained limited to those two countries? Probably so tbh, similar to India and Pakistan. It wouldn't have been pretty, though.

Or it wouldn’t have happened in the first place outside of the Donbas/crimea  ……

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Japan won’t get nukes; it’s just an emotional response to the situation. If anything Ukraine have proved you can defend your country without nukes. Who seriously is going to attack Japan anyway?

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Or it wouldn’t have happened in the first place outside of the Donbas/crimea  ……

Yep, that is true.

How ridiculous is the state of humanity when it seems more logical to rely on such horrific weapons to ensure we're not bastards to each other?

2 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Japan won’t get nukes; it’s just an emotional response to the situation. If anything Ukraine have proved you can defend your country without nukes. Who seriously is going to attack Japan anyway?

I would agree.

I wonder if the southern half of Korea might go on to have their own arsenal though.

7 hours ago, leicsmac said:

...having possibly the most reviled person in Western current affairs (a reminder that that's not all of the world) agreeing that you made good points must be a mite awkward for Ms Rowling.

Why?