Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Ukraine

This conflict can’t end soon enough.

Similar to how people viewed and treated Germans after the 2nd world war, the Russian public will be demeaned for this in future generations unfortunately.  

28 minutes ago, Sly said:

This conflict can’t end soon enough.

Similar to how people viewed and treated Germans after the 2nd world war, the Russian public will be demeaned for this in future generations unfortunately.  

There is a lot of support for this war in the Russian population, obviously because of the state propaganda, but I also believe their government reflects the soul of the people to a degree. Forgive me if that's xenophobic, but it's how I feel now. I always found Russia so fascinating, we were due to visit Moscow and St Petersburg before covid hit, but now we will never go there.

I've enjoyed this Russian vloggers channel for a couple years now, she explains how there is sadly a lot of support for this invasion amongst normal Russian people:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, marbles said:

As serious as you wanting an explanation for why a couple of months ago 2 people dared post laughing emojis when you were prophesying about the war.

Firstly, that was absolutely not the thrust of my post - so don't assume to tell me what my intention was or what I was thinking and most importantly, attempt to put words into my mouth. Other than that, your initial interjection was so ridiculous that it is barely worthy of comment and I'd pretty much disregarded it, beyond the fact that in order to twist and warp it as you did says more about you and your agenda than it does me. Incidentally, I think you meant 'prophecising' - and my post in January was nothing of the sort. Rather, genuine concern over the implications of the Russian military build up and the fact that it received two laughing emojis puzzled me. I later naively reasoned that Moscow was not on a war footing and that this was the usual coercive diplomacy that we have come to expect from the Kremlin. Sadly, I was mistaken.

Secondly, at no stage have I "gloated" about the horrific loss of life associated with this invasion - and were it not for the fact that your allegation is so obviously absurd to any reasoned and rational person reading it, I'd respectfully ask you to retract it. My posts testify to my stance on this terrible conflict. I am appalled and saddened by not only the toll on innocent civilians, but the casualties inflicted on both sides - the futility of it all - and the acknowledgement, that both east and west are culpable. My question remains regarding this thread to the those two members that I directed it at (not you), that had expressed pro-Russian sentiment. I find it strange that they direct energy into discrediting Joe Biden and the Democrat party and yet post invasion, there is not one mention of Vladimir Putin or condemnation of the Kremlin's inept and barbaric military tactics in Ukraine. I have several times attempted to elicit their views on this - not as to why, as you incorrectly claim, they inserted laughing emojis under my post in January. Although I found it odd at the time, their subsequent posts amply indicated the reasons for this.

Edited by Line-X
Typos
  • Like 2

I do wonder about Russia's future. I think isolated and resentful is probably most likely unfortunately, potentially exploited by China as a source of cheap goods and labour. I suspect a lot of people in the west will go back to thinking it's the west's fault. 

• Like 2

Despite the strong rhetoric I’m really concerned that the West is not doing enough for Ukraine, both

with sanctions and weapons. We seem to be sending short range defensive weapons to Ukraine 

who is fighting an enemy equipped with short, medium and long range weapons.

1 hour ago, z-layrex said:

There is a lot of support for this war in the Russian population, obviously because of the state propaganda, but I also believe their government reflects the soul of the people to a degree. Forgive me if that's xenophobic, but it's how I feel now. I always found Russia so fascinating, we were due to visit Moscow and St Petersburg before covid hit, but now we will never go there.

I've enjoyed this Russian vloggers channel for a couple years now, she explains how there is sadly a lot of support for this invasion amongst normal Russian people:

It also helps to ‘sway public opinion’ when you imprison torture  and silence any dissenting voices. And poison them.

3 hours ago, Line-X said:

Firstly, that was absolutely not the thrust of my post - so don't assume to tell me what my intention was or what I was thinking and most importantly, attempt to put words into my mouth. Other than that, your initial interjection was so ridiculous that it is barely worthy of comment and I'd pretty much disregarded it, beyond the fact that in order to twist and warp it as you did says more about you and your agenda than it does me. Incidentally, I think you meant 'prophecising' - and my post in January was nothing of the sort. Rather, genuine concern over the implications of the Russian military build up and the fact that it received two laughing emojis puzzled me. I later naively reasoned that Moscow was not on a war footing and that this was the usual coercive diplomacy that we have come to expect from the Kremlin. Sadly, I was mistaken.

Secondly, at no stage have I "gloated" about the horrific loss of life associated with this invasion - and were it not for the fact that your allegation is so obviously absurd to any reasoned and rational person reading it, I'd respectfully ask you to retract it. My posts testify to my stance on this terrible conflict. I am appalled and saddened by not only the toll on innocent civilians, but the casualties inflicted on both sides - the futility of it all - and the acknowledgement, that both east and west are culpable. My question remains regarding this thread to the those two members that I directed it at (not you), that had expressed pro-Russian sentiment. I find it strange that they direct energy into discrediting Joe Biden and the Democrat party and yet post invasion, there is not one mention of Vladimir Putin or condemnation of the Kremlin's inept and barbaric military tactics in Ukraine. I have several times attempted to elicit their views on this - not as to why, as you incorrectly claim, they inserted laughing emojis under my post in January. Although I found it odd at the time, their subsequent posts amply indicated the reasons for this.

Brilliant response. I don't think @marbles will ever understand it, though

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, marbles said:

Always great to see someone gloat over the DEATHS of others. You truly are a piece of work.

I think you've quoted the wrong post :dunno: Not that I've seen anything like you've said from anyone, mind 

Edited by FoxesDeb

6 hours ago, Line-X said:

That particular post was about three miles long.How do you know which bit either of us thought worthy of the laughing emoji?Reading it back again,for me it was the Trump,Brexit Bots part.You made good points about the resulting sanctions.etc.

I didn’t expect Putin to go ahead and invade either.So hands up for that one.Turns out Ukraine did matter.We were warned.
SO1 hasn’t passed comment on anything (I don’t think)since the tanks rolled over.I believe he got a ban.A shame as I agree with a lot of what he says.I thank everyone who’s had the guts to stick their necks out during the last few weeks

I think you’ve only directly questioned me once.When the first horror’s started emerging.Is NATO still to blame? Didn’t answer at the time as back then the thread was fast moving and frankly I didn’t have time to give a detailed response.My short answer is yes.

Any of my recent posts on the subject have been about the sanctions.Shooting ourselves in the foot etc.Though I’m about as negative as you can get about Joe Biden.Vote Biden and it was beyond certain there would be a major conflict sometime somewhere within the next four years.

The situation is awful.The loser is Ukraine (obviously)Followed by the EU then the rest of the continent.I don’t think our leaders have a clue as to how to solve it.Hope that clears it up.

1 hour ago, Heathrow fox said:

Any of my recent posts on the subject have been about the sanctions.Shooting ourselves in the foot etc.Though I’m about as negative as you can get about Joe Biden.Vote Biden and it was beyond certain there would be a major conflict sometime somewhere within the next four years.

I’m no Joe Biden fan ( I didn’t vote for trump either) but to say there was bound to be a war in his 4 years is a little bit like waiting for a car crash and then saying you knew it was going to happen.

I would say this was is all about the Will of Putin. Other than ultra aggressive pre-emptive actions, I don’t see how this could have been prevented.  And even then It’s a bit like saying that you knew someone was going to punch you so you wanted to get the punch in first- you can’t claim any moral high ground acting like that-  it’s   A baseless accusation. In fact, isn’t that basically how Putin is justifying this? And look at the contempt  he’s getting for even trying to justify it.

Edited by MPH

8 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

SO1 hasn’t passed comment on anything (I don’t think)since the tanks rolled over.I believe he got a ban.A shame as I agree with a lot of what he says.I thank everyone who’s had the guts to stick their necks out during the last few weeks

He hasn't though. As you say, he ceased commenting the moment the tanks rolled in and the Russian army began indiscriminately shelling residential areas and slaughtering innocent civilians which is what they do. Prior to that, he was posting pro-Kremlin propaganda. He had a brief ban I believe for posting baseless American far right blogs and South Front which is one of the pillars of Russian disinformation. I doubt very much that you agree with that. Oh, hang on...

I think you’ve only directly questioned me once.When the first horror’s started emerging.Is NATO still to blame? Didn’t answer at the time as back then the thread was fast moving and frankly I didn’t have time to give a detailed response.My short answer is yes.

For bloodshed that one man ordered and the war crimes that are currently being committed? Interesting. 

Though I’m about as negative as you can get about Joe Biden.

You don't say.

Vote Biden and it was beyond certain there would be a major conflict sometime somewhere within the next four years.

It's like turning on Fox News by accident. You are seriously attempting to attribute a what is essentially an imperialistic and revanchist Holy War waged by a dictatorship, underpinned by theological and ideological subversion and one man's borderline fanatical historical revisionism to...Joe Biden? Righto.

And yet still no condemnation of Vladimir Putin. 

You live in a western democracy. You were able to exercise your right to vote for Donald Trump - and you did precisely that...and doubtless you will again in two year's time. 

Tell me, what became of Boris Nemtsov? Where is Alexi Navalny right now? 

The situation is awful.

Agree

The loser is Ukraine (obviously)Followed by the EU then the rest of the continent.

The loser alongside Russia itself - for which this invasion has been ruinous, is the entire world.

Hope that clears it up.

No it really doesn't - as I expected, some of your statements are utterly bewildering - but thanks for taking the time and having the conviction to reply nonetheless. 

45 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Big grain of salt needed before confirmation, but reports coming out that Ukraine has liberated Iprin, to the West of Kyiv.

I was reading earlier that they had retaken another place to the east of Kiev ...   I'm confident this is true. 

Roman Abramovich and Ukrainian peace negotiators ‘victims of suspected poisoning’

Roman Abramovich and Ukrainian peace negotiators suffered symptoms of suspected poisoning after a meeting in the capital, Kyiv, earlier this month, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.

Abramovich and at least two senior members of the Ukrainian delegation developed symptoms that included “red eyes, constant and painful tearing”, the paper cites sources familiar with the matter.

The paper said individuals familiar with the matter blamed the suspected attack on Moscow who they said wanted to sabotage talks to end the war. A person close to Abramovich said it wasn’t clear who had targeted the group, the WSJ said.

Abramovich and the members of the Ukrainian delegation have since improved, the people said. Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, who has met with Abramovich, was not affected, they said.