Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Ukraine

On 30/03/2022 at 00:47, Jon the Hat said:

I suspect China will have looked very carefully at how hard it is to win territory against even a smaller force which is lightly equipped.  China could no doubt defeat Taiwan eventually, but at what price?  If they destroy the Taiwan manufacturing base in the process then they have won little.

you have to remember that the Ukrainianswere battle hardened from 2014 so had recent combat experienced and also appear to have been very well trained since then by the British Armed forces.

China will start with a naval blockade to almost completely cut the Island off they’ll make sure they see lots of photos of the devestation in. The Ukraine and I think it will be over a lot quicker than the Ukraine situation will be.

fortunately there are many oil and gas suppliers around the world which is helping with the Sanctions in place against Russia but there isn’t a Single western country that  isn’t HEAVILY dependent on Chinese goods. 

it seems that you can burn  a country down and people might get upset but if you try and take away their novelty salt & pepper shakers, things could turn nasty..

28 minutes ago, MPH said:

you have to remember that the Ukrainianswere battle hardened from 2014 so had recent combat experienced and also appear to have been very well trained since then by the British Armed forces.

China will start with a naval blockade to almost completely cut the Island off they’ll make sure they see lots of photos of the devestation in. The Ukraine and I think it will be over a lot quicker than the Ukraine situation will be.

fortunately there are many oil and gas suppliers around the world which is helping with the Sanctions in place against Russia but there isn’t a Single western country that  isn’t HEAVILY dependent on Chinese goods. 

it seems that you can burn  a country down and people might get upset but if you try and take away their novelty salt & pepper shakers, things could turn nasty..

An additional factor here is that the US military policy towards Taiwan is deliberately opaque.

One wonders what they would really do if the PRC did decide to roll in. And how far it would go.

19 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

An additional factor here is that the US military policy towards Taiwan is deliberately opaque.

One wonders what they would really do if the PRC did decide to roll in. And how far it would go.

F.A would be my guess.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

F.A would be my guess.

"Make a fuss, make more of a fuss, and then agree", as Khrushchev might have said?

It's possible. Let's hope we never have to find out.

27 minutes ago, SkidsFox said:

Given the power of modern day missile systems, I don't see how China can get enough boats close enough to invade Taiwan, and as for flying in airborne troops, no way. 

They would need both air supremacy and to use that supremacy to destroy that missile capability before invading, yes, unless they were just looking to force a surrender by starvation.

No idea if they have the direct capability for it, though.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

i think we’ll share some harsh words and some Token  sanctions and expect  Japan and South Korea to do the ‘negotiating’

38 minutes ago, Sly said:

What’s the actual impact to Putin cutting off the gas then? More of an issue for Germany? 

He got himself in a bit of a pickle, because Russia earns £365m a day from gas so if he cuts off supplies they are no other buyers. The main gas pipelines go to Germany and Italy.

5 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Might be a load of bull, i've just read russian troops that were stationed at chernobyl are suffering radiation sickness and are being withdrawn. Bless em.

Russian troops leaving Chernobyl nuclear site 'have acute radiation sickness'

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/breaking-retreating-russian-troops-starting-26596437#ICID=Android_TMNewsApp_AppShare

3 hours ago, MPH said:

It's not just junk that we import from China. 

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/imports/china

1 hour ago, MPH said:

i think we’ll share some harsh words and some Token  sanctions and expect  Japan and South Korea to do the ‘negotiating’

No chance of Japan doing any negotiations re China, given the animosity felt towards them by the Chinese following historical occupation and genocide. 

58 minutes ago, enmac said:

No chance of Japan doing any negotiations re China, given the animosity felt towards them by the Chinese following historical occupation and genocide. 

that was kind of my point.  Admittedly I was being flippant in my explanations, but we simply rely on them too much for us to be serious in trying to negotiate with the Chinese  and they know it.

at least with  trying to get their local neighbors involved and a few carefully planned sanctions we can  say “ well, we tried”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, enmac said:

It's not just junk that we import from China. 

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/imports/china

Maybe not, the problem with chinese goods is the certification and quality control, as in... it's made up.. they just print out what you need. The company i work for uses a lot of titanium and occasionally we've had to source chinese material due to demand, which is ok for non structural things such as a camera mount, but even with the certification etc, most companies we deal with refuse to accept anything made from chinese titanium as there has been so many failures due imperfections in the material that can only be picked up with x-ray or failure in the field. Now, this is kinda ok on a racing car, my industry, because it's not going to fall out the sky with 300 people on board, but aircraft manufacturers are running such a fine line with what they're getting away with and i've heard loads of stories about dodgy materials being used but because the neccesary certs are in place, there isn't a problem.   

2 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Maybe not, the problem with chinese goods is the certification and quality control, as in... it's made up.. they just print out what you need. The company i work for uses a lot of titanium and occasionally we've had to source chinese material due to demand, which is ok for non structural things such as a camera mount, but even with the certification etc, most companies we deal with refuse to accept anything made from chinese titanium as there has been so many failures due imperfections in the material that can only be picked up with x-ray or failure in the field. Now, this is kinda ok on a racing car, my industry, because it's not going to fall out the sky with 300 people on board, but aircraft manufacturers are running such a fine line with what they're getting away with and i've heard loads of stories about dodgy materials being used but because the neccesary certs are in place, there isn't a problem.   

Didn't know that. Sort of proves that common minimum regulated standards are vital. 

5 minutes ago, marbles said:

I know this would never happen, but just thinking how funny it would be if after Ukraine fought off Russia, they decided to invade Russia

What would be kinda ironic is if they managed to push Russian troops out of Ukraine, lined up a couple of hundred  ballistic missiles, if they had them (who knows?) and fired them at Moscow. Putin wouldn’t be able to keep that quiet would he

• Like 1