Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Ukraine

20 hours ago, marbles said:

I know this would never happen, but just thinking how funny it would be if after Ukraine fought off Russia, they decided to invade Russia

Don’t  be silly! Ukraine would never be so bold as to start attacking Russia itself!

:ph34r:

Alleged Ukrainian air strikes on Russian territory would be a first

38dcfd4b-f4c6-493b-bdd9-fd429b3b1a1c.jpg

Jonathan Beale

BBC defence correspondent in Odesa

As we've been reporting, Russian authorities have accused Ukraine of carrying out an air attack on an oil depot in Russian territory.

If confirmed - and Ukraine is yet to claim responsibility for the attack in Belgorod, near the Ukraine border - it would be the first known time Ukrainian aircraft have flown into Russian airspace to strike a target, bringing the war home to Russia.

Ukrainian helicopter pilots have plenty of experience of flying low and fast to avoid being detected by military radar and air defence systems. They’ve been doing exactly that in the Donbas region in eastern Ukraine for years. I experienced and witnessed the extraordinary skills of the Ukrainian military pilots in 2018 – flying barely metres above the tree line and telegraph poles.

But if these reports are correct - flying at night, well into Russian territory, to launch an attack on an enemy fuel depot would have required extraordinary bravery - as well as finely-honed flying skills. 

Low-flying helicopters are still vulnerable to short-range air defence systems. Flying at night would have lessened that risk, but heightened the danger of hitting an object near the ground.

This alleged attack alone will not dramatically alter the battle. But it could show Ukraine has managed to keep its air force functioning, and give a huge boost to the morale of Ukraine's military.

Edited by MPH
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, MPH said:

Sony  be silly! Ukraine would never be so bold as to start attacking Russia itself!

:ph34r:

Alleged Ukrainian air strikes on Russian territory would be a first

38dcfd4b-f4c6-493b-bdd9-fd429b3b1a1c.jpg

Jonathan Beale

BBC defence correspondent in Odesa

As we've been reporting, Russian authorities have accused Ukraine of carrying out an air attack on an oil depot in Russian territory.

If confirmed - and Ukraine is yet to claim responsibility for the attack in Belgorod, near the Ukraine border - it would be the first known time Ukrainian aircraft have flown into Russian airspace to strike a target, bringing the war home to Russia.

Ukrainian helicopter pilots have plenty of experience of flying low and fast to avoid being detected by military radar and air defence systems. They’ve been doing exactly that in the Donbas region in eastern Ukraine for years. I experienced and witnessed the extraordinary skills of the Ukrainian military pilots in 2018 – flying barely metres above the tree line and telegraph poles.

But if these reports are correct - flying at night, well into Russian territory, to launch an attack on an enemy fuel depot would have required extraordinary bravery - as well as finely-honed flying skills. 

Low-flying helicopters are still vulnerable to short-range air defence systems. Flying at night would have lessened that risk, but heightened the danger of hitting an object near the ground.

This alleged attack alone will not dramatically alter the battle. But it could show Ukraine has managed to keep its air force functioning, and give a huge boost to the morale of Ukraine's military.

Get in !!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, String fellow said:

The Swedes should have shot them down imo. Russian aggression will only stop when other countries surrounding it show a willingness to face down their attempts at intimidation. 

Yep ..  the Russians would certainly be happy to shoot an aircraft down ..  especially if it was a passenger jet .. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, marbles said:

I know this would never happen, but just thinking how funny it would be if after Ukraine fought off Russia, they decided to invade Russia

Fun fact: But after the UK, US and USSR defeated the Germans in WW2, Churchill for a while actually mooted the UK and US breaking their alliance with the Soviet Union and to then turn round and invade the Soviets and push them back from Berlin. It was called “Operation Unthinkable”.

Roosevelt said it would never happen though as no one wanted more years of war.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, String fellow said:

The Swedes should have shot them down imo. Russian aggression will only stop when other countries surrounding it show a willingness to face down their attempts at intimidation. 

I think a lot of countries will happily stand up to them now. Been shown to be no where near the unstoppable force everyone thought they were.

Absolute trade fair army, a tiny handful of modern stuff everyone obsesses over, the rest of the stuff from the 70s. Now they'll struggle to replace the massive material loses they've suffered, it'll be interesting to see where their doctrine goes from here. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I think a lot of countries will happily stand up to them now. Been shown to be no where near the unstoppable force everyone thought they were.

Absolute trade fair army, a tiny handful of modern stuff everyone obsesses over, the rest of the stuff from the 70s. Now they'll struggle to replace the massive material loses they've suffered, it'll be interesting to see where their doctrine goes from here. 

That said, I presume a shitload of US hardware has fallen into Russian hands.....so they'll have a technological leap at some point

3 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

That said, I presume a shitload of US hardware has fallen into Russian hands.....so they'll have a technological leap at some point

they seem to have heavily invested both time, money and manpower into advancing their mid to long range technology - in other words their focus has been NATO and the U.S . Clearly we can see they have neglected their short game and they are paying the price for it.

they’ve been bluffing about being a super power all along! Fair play to Putin on his poker face though..

Edited by MPH
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Stinky said:

The images/videos from the town of Bucha are horrifying 

Another name of an obscure European town we will unfortunately now all know.

I'll be honest and admit that until recently I thought Ukraine should ptiotitise peace even if it meant concessions. I was wrong. This is more like genocide

• Like 1

Baier then asked what Zelenskyy is "willing to agree to" in order to secure a peace deal and specifically brought up the possibility of ceding Ukrainian territory to Russia. “We do not trade our territory," Zelenskyy responded. "The question of territorial integrity and sovereignty is out of discussion."

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

Feels like the early 90s and the Yugoslav wars all over again. 

Unfortunately, in this conflict, it's unlikely that anyone will be answerable to the war crimes currently being committed. 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Up until a couple of days ago I was watching the footage of Russian stuff getting obliterated with interest, but mindful that I was watching people being killed. Now after Bucha I'm watching it without a sliver of remorse or mindfulness. 

And there's the issue with war itself.

It dehumanises practically everyone it touches.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

War I can compute, war crimes not so much. 

One inevitably leads to the other. There's never been a war in which a war crime/atrocity has not taken place.

(Other than, perhaps, the British Empire-Kingdom of Zanizbar affair that lasted all of 45 minutes, or the Australian Emu War.)

On 01/04/2022 at 09:32, Lionator said:

I believe the planes were nuclear capable, they weren’t carrying actual nuclear weapons. 

Carrying actual nuclear weapons or not, in a situation where Russia is at war with another European country this is a major diplomatic incident and Sweden is entitled to an explanation. If they got fobbed off by the Russian ambassador in Stockholm, then get on to the Kremlin. Russia is always using its submarines to snoop on our space and there have been increasing numbers of incidents in our waters, particularly after the retirement of Nimrod in 2010.

21 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

One inevitably leads to the other. There's never been a war in which a war crime/atrocity has not taken place.

(Other than, perhaps, the British Empire-Kingdom of Zanizbar affair that lasted all of 45 minutes, or the Australian Emu War.)

So what?

Putting it another way, please explain why you feel the need to mention that this isn’t the first time war crimes have been committed.

9 minutes ago, Blarmy said:

So what?

Putting it another way, please explain why you feel the need to mention that this isn’t the first time war crimes have been committed.

...because the OP seemed to infer that war and war crimes were two rather differing spheres and that it was shocking to see the events of recent times and that it caused them to feel a dehumanising effect.

My point, as before, is that this war isn't really unique in terms of dehumanising both the people involved and the people viewing it, the latter especially as access to the atrocities visited during war is so much easier in this day and age.

"War is shit. Anyone who tells you otherwise has never been in one."

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

...because the OP seemed to infer that war and war crimes were two rather differing spheres and that it was shocking to see the events of recent times and that it caused them to feel a dehumanising effect.

My point, as before, is that this war isn't really unique in terms of dehumanising both the people involved and the people viewing it, the latter especially as access to the atrocities visited during war is so much easier in this day and age.

"War is shit. Anyone who tells you otherwise has never been in one."

Again, so what? Does something have to be unique to be shocking?

Do you console people mourning at funerals, or just point out that lots of other people have died?

• Like 1