Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Ukraine

23 minutes ago, Solihullfox said:

A very interesting programme and get the impression that he is worried about where this war will end and how far the Russians may be prepared to go with ambition and weapons

Was this on tv or YouTube? I’d be interested to watch. Was he worried about the Russians taking this to another level? Take on NATO? Or just how far/long it’ll go on for Ukraine and how it will shape things? 

Edited by fox_favourite

On 18/04/2022 at 23:57, fuchsntf said:

I am stopping my cancer Therapie, and telling my Kids ,it ain’t worth hanging on, I am off to kick our creators and grim reapers arse. 

I hadn't picked up on your condition and the treatment you're undertaking. I trust it's effective and keeping you 'on an even keel'. 

I've always appreciated your intelligent and balanced comments. You never waste your words.

2 hours ago, gerblod said:

I hadn't picked up on your condition and the treatment you're undertaking. I trust it's effective and keeping you 'on an even keel'. 

I've always appreciated your intelligent and balanced comments. You never waste your words.

My keel,broke off years ago thankfully, now I can bob along the waves & lose my tak…makes my crazy leaway more acceptable & fun..:celebrate:

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

Was he worried about the Russians taking this to another level? Take on NATO? Or just how far/long it’ll go on for Ukraine and how it will shape things? 

There were a few wise words from an ex-senior British Army officer on ITV yesterday. The C-in-C for the Ukrainian Army in this coming Donbas  campaign is American trained. The contrast in strategic awareness between the two armies will be hugely in favour of Ukraine. Their army is fighting a defensive war, meaning the Russians have to advance into the teeth of highly motivated and clearly more professional troops, who are being supplied with NATO standard weaponry.

I suspect that, rather as it was in Stalin's time, orders will be and have been given based on the maxim of 'get it done or else'. Senior officers rarely die in battle yet they've been falling like flies at the front line - in attempts to make progress to satisfy a dictator's whims rather than planned strategy. This is what happens when 'yes men' surround you. Then, when the inevitable happens, the reality isn't reported - it's downplayed, softened for the hearer. 

The guy also said that a spring campaign in this region will be affected by thawing ground conditions - mud will inevitably result and affect supply lines and forward movement for the Russians. 

The best result to hope for is a Russian army so badly depleted that it's forced to withdraw or mutiny. A lot of their troops are recruited from the rural provinces, so they have little political awareness and they're brutalised in training and sacrificed in battle. 

Squeezing Russia with ever more onerous sanctions and supplying Ukraine is the best strategy. I only wish NATO could play it as dirty as Russia is doing.

2 hours ago, gerblod said:

Agreed - Fuchsy definitely adds value to the forum, in part through his individual communication style but more so by  his content 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

Was this on tv or YouTube? I’d be interested to watch. Was he worried about the Russians taking this to another level? Take on NATO? Or just how far/long it’ll go on for Ukraine and how it will shape things? 

It was on Sky News, pretty sure it was from 7 to 8pm last night

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Semi conspiracy theory ….

has putin been given duff advice by those who might be aligned to a group that seeks to replace him ?? 

More likely he’s getting duff advice cus they’re scared of telling him the truth ..

• Like 1

And whilst I’m on this thread ..  if Putin does well and gets the Donbas he may think,  I’m on a roll now ..  let’s go for the whole country ..  and thousands more will perish, suffer injury, or be displaced ..  and if he doesn’t get the Donbas,  he might start using some very nasty weapons ..  including tactical nukes ..  and thousands more will perish,  suffer injury, or be displaced ..  :unsure:

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Semi conspiracy theory ….

has putin been given duff advice by those who might be aligned to a group that seeks to replace him ?? 

2 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

More likely he’s getting duff advice cus they’re scared of telling him the truth ..

Could be both at the same time tbh.

I think it's fair to expect that the corridors of the Kremlin are a world of fear,  but perhaps there are parties within looking to exploit that for their own ambition.

You do also wonder, as this drags on, how long, even in a locked down autocracy like Russia, Putin can keep this going without some serious challenge to his power.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

You do also wonder, as this drags on, how long, even in a locked down autocracy like Russia, Putin can keep this going without some serious challenge to his power.

I think the Korean with the football shaped head has shown that this can go on indefinitely ..  even through generations !

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

And whilst I’m on this thread ..  if Putin does well and gets the Donbas he may think,  I’m on a roll now ..  let’s go for the whole country ..  and thousands more will perish, suffer injury, or be displaced ..  and if he doesn’t get the Donbas,  he might start using some very nasty weapons ..  including tactical nukes ..  and thousands more will perish,  suffer injury, or be displaced ..  :unsure:

Would he really get what he wants through the use of any kind of nuclear weapon? Being a pariah in todays interconnected world (at best) wouldn't be fun.

Still, that's looking at it from a rational point of view,  which if it comes down to him perhaps losing his power, rationality may well go out the window.

3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

I think the Korean with the football shaped head has shown that this can go on indefinitely ..  even through generations !

Point taken, but NK is much smaller in pretty much every sense than Russia is.

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Would he really get what he wants through the use of any kind of nuclear weapon? Being a pariah in todays interconnected world (at best) wouldn't be fun.

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that US intelligence has said the chance of this happening is ‘very’ possible .. 

2 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that US intelligence has said the chance of this happening is ‘very’ possible .. 

Oh, I have no doubt that it is possible and a matter of consideration...I just don't think it gets him either Ukraine or the international prestige he wants, considering that the international response would be at best withering and at worst utterly apocalyptic.

Unless the man really does intend to turn his country into an insular pariah state ala NK in perpetuity, which I don't really see the reason in.

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Oh, I have no doubt that it is possible and a matter of consideration...I just don't think it gets him either Ukraine or the international prestige he wants, considering that the international response would be at best withering and at worst utterly apocalyptic.

Unless the man really does intend to turn his country into an insular pariah state ala NK in perpetuity, which I don't really see the reason in.

He’s fookin mad Mac and couldn’t give a sh1t what the world thinks of him ..  only what his ‘devoted people’ think ..  

Doing a spot of satellite channel searching today, I found RT News transmitting Russia's ludicrous propaganda in English, French, German and Spanish. The satellite is Express AM8, owned by Romantis Satellite Communications, whose headquarters are in Germany. Not too sure why it is that Putin's lies can be freely transmitted across Europe in this way, apparently with German assistance.

11 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

He’s fookin mad Mac and couldn’t give a sh1t what the world thinks of him ..  only what his ‘devoted people’ think ..  

Nah, just writing it off as him being "mad" is cheap and underestimating the person.

It's certainly possible that he cares very little for international opinion (why, then, the courting of countries outside NATO?) and of course he relies on a thoroughly cowed populace who think he's the best thing since sliced bread...but when it comes to stuff like this it's really not a good idea to assume that the opposing "side" is less smart or less rational than you are - even if there may be evidence of so. Mistakes are made that way.

Do the West need to give Russia an exit route a ‘golden bridge’ to stop this madness?! It just seems from my point of view getting out of control and needs to be stopped? 

Stop talking about weapons and start mentioning more diplomatic routes?

I suppose the problem is, if you give him an inch he’ll take a mile. It’s a balancing act, but one that needs to be explored. 

Edited by fox_favourite

41 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Bloody insane innit..!!

If the despot had been clever & actually support his WWide productive neighbour & worked with Ukraine, he would have had a massive buffer state, 

Who would of kept from NATO..

This trash about Nazification ,and suppresion of Russians in Crimea & Donesk regions, has now put neighbours in defense & hatefull mood,towards them & the Belarus-state that will last through the next 100years...

China,Russia were that accepted balance & difference to the big guys in the West..

This Despot & cronies by committing this genocide towards Russia's Neighbour has blown all platforms of building of any trust .Economic,financial,social..They are dead in the Water..

There was no threat, refererendums would of sorted the split regions.even if it had taken generations..

You don't have to wipe out a very productive Neighbour, you use diplomacy, especially if you would have potential sharing and creating a solid Eastern European competitive block.& Will Cover your backs in this world of globalisation...Russian themselves will now be stamped for generations as insympthetic breed of women,children,civilisation murderers.

I mean  something quite basic, even if you believe you are rescuing freedom-fighters,you don't need to obliterate the whole civilisation & infrastructure of a growing neighbour..

They the Russian people & no other country, at the end ,if there is one should be forced to reimburse and pay for Ukraine's total rebuild....

The west have got to find a way to eliminate Putin & the group of tosspots,even if the status-quo of Russian identity & character stays strong & indifferent to Western ways..

I also can't understand how with all these hackers official/unofficial world wide why we can't break into Russian media platforms,so the Ivans & Olga's on the street can see & decide the truth of what mayem & attrocities their government are committing in their name..

• Like 3

2 hours ago, String fellow said:

Doing a spot of satellite channel searching today, I found RT News transmitting Russia's ludicrous propaganda in English, French, German and Spanish. The satellite is Express AM8, owned by Romantis Satellite Communications, whose headquarters are in Germany. Not too sure why it is that Putin's lies can be freely transmitted across Europe in this way, apparently with German assistance.

i think that there is a fair bit of diplomatic frustration across the continent with the germans.  i heard yesterday about the us trained ukraine army general (ex georgian) who had been under house arrest in a german hotel until a few weeks ago following a request from the russians in december ..wasn't released until a few weeks after the invasion i think ......

• Like 1

im quite interested in seeing how China’s stance could change depending on how events unfold… there’s every chance that Russias economy is going to be severely effected for many years to come and that will suit China just fine. They’ll enjoy being the super power and having Russia as there lap dog as no doubt once this is over they’ll steam in with a financial package to prop up the Russian economy. Russian is wanting more of the Southern Coast of Ukraine for financial and military reasons - they want better access to the Black Sea . So I imagine China will be watching developments very closely as they won’t want Russian influence in the area to grow too much, bearing in mind Russia shares a border with China.

at the moment though it has to be said that China is playing a blinder- staying out of it enough by not supplying Russia with weapons or funds to dominate the situation yet a few well placed Vetoes to make sure Russia remains a thorn in ‘ the west’s’ side. It serves their purpose very well to have us all preoccupied with the headache that Russia has become.

Edited by MPH
  • Like 2