Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Ukraine

6 minutes ago, MPH said:

it’s the most obvious fabricated justification for doing what they wanted to do all along.

Just hope their people will start to get sick of it, and don't rally behind the anti west narrative. Also fingers crossed as much long range arms will get to them as we're able to do.

3 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

Lavrov always plays the victim card. The press conference in venezuela where they we’re announcing a close in ties. Lactic blamed the western media and western countries for the way Russia was coming across and how it was wrong that we sensored their media. Well, yes we did, but look closer to home. Who stopped all independent media? Who could put you in jail for 10yrs for saying it’s a war and anything against the government? Who’s opposition leaders suddenly disappear?

Also, blaming the West for further movement into Ukraine. “Oh no, look we destroyed cities, livelihoods and civilian people all because of everyone else. It’s a very dangerous way to think. 

You see this from the entire russian establishment. They like to breed a mentality of Whataboutism and victimhood to justify everything. It's also what they ask their online troll farms to do, which the internet is crawling with. It's very obvious because some videos on YouTube etc about the war will be full of pro Russia comments with many (bot) upvotes, for no apparent reason. It appears to be ones they have targeted. Of course there are real people supporting them too (Latin America hates the US and has some ties to Russia  so will take Russia's side) and they comment on every Spanish speaking outlet out there, BBC mundo for example, and frequently laugh react stories of dead civilians with the narrative that the western media is so biased. The impression I get from many of from them is a severe inferiority complex, and not to mention that their own governments rank so high on the list of most corrupt nations. 

8 hours ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

Just hope their people will start to get sick of it, and don't rally behind the anti west narrative. Also fingers crossed as much long range arms will get to them as we're able to do.

You see this from the entire russian establishment. They like to breed a mentality of Whataboutism and victimhood to justify everything. It's also what they ask their online troll farms to do, which the internet is crawling with. It's very obvious because some videos on YouTube etc about the war will be full of pro Russia comments with many (bot) upvotes, for no apparent reason. It appears to be ones they have targeted. Of course there are real people supporting them too (Latin America hates the US and has some ties to Russia  so will take Russia's side) and they comment on every Spanish speaking outlet out there, BBC mundo for example, and frequently laugh react stories of dead civilians with the narrative that the western media is so biased. The impression I get from many of from them is a severe inferiority complex, and not to mention that their own governments rank so high on the list of most corrupt nations. 

As does quite a few parts of Africa, so Russia are getting some backing from there, too.

It's almost like having your three-letter agencies interfere in the democratic process of a nation for decades in the interest of hindering the "dirty commies" then turns those nations against you.

That's not to say that the Russians and their Chinese friends haven't got such political interference down to a fine art too, as you say. But what I'm saying is perhaps there's a reason for the hate.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

As does quite a few parts of Africa, so Russia are getting some backing from there, too.

It's almost like having your three-letter agencies interfere in the democratic process of a nation for decades in the interest of hindering the "dirty commies" then turns those nations against you.

That's not to say that the Russians and their Chinese friends haven't got such political interference down to a fine art too, as you say. But what I'm saying is perhaps there's a reason for the hate.

I don't see how supporting Russia in invading a country because the US used to interfere in your domestic politics - usually with the support of one of your political parties / leaders - makes any sense at all.  There is way to much of the boo West did bad things and this justifies some **** over here doing bad things too.

5 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I don't see how supporting Russia in invading a country because the US used to interfere in your domestic politics - usually with the support of one of your political parties / leaders - makes any sense at all.  There is way to much of the boo West did bad things and this justifies some **** over here doing bad things too.

It's realpolitik, apparently. Gotta pick a side.

I think it's incredibly shortsighted thinking too, but some people apparently know how to carry a grudge. I do hope that one day the major powers will actually stop using such places as pawns in some perverse great game, but that's idealistic to the point of being naive, sadly.

Edit: Just to clarify my own position on the matter, I said that those places have a reason for their hate. I don't agree that it's a good one, just that it exists and that they believe it is enough for them to do what they do.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

It's realpolitik, apparently. Gotta pick a side.

I think it's incredibly shortsighted thinking too, but some people apparently know how to carry a grudge. I do hope that one day the major powers will actually stop using such places as pawns in some perverse great game, but that's idealistic to the point of being naive, sadly.

Edit: Just to clarify my own position on the matter, I said that those places have a reason for their hate. I don't agree that it's a good one, just that it exists and that they believe it is enough for them to do what they do.

China is busy building influence in Solomon Islands and other pacific Islands as well of course.  I'm not sure how exactly Au/US counter China's willingness to chick bribes at political leaders...

2 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

China is busy building influence in Solomon Islands and other pacific Islands as well of course.  I'm not sure how exactly Au/US counter China's willingness to chick bribes at political leaders...

Infrastructure projects? That's how China are getting a foothold in Africa, after all.

Pledging to stop engaging in behaviour that will see those pacific islands underwater in short order? Aus needs to back away from the coal lobby.

30 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Can’t see this coming off. Not that I really know the details, but the Russians are just too untrustworthy & generally like to troll.

They have been shelling the port at Odessa today.

7 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Can’t see this coming off. Not that I really know the details, but the Russians are just too untrustworthy & generally like to troll.

7 hours ago, kenny said:

They have been shelling the port at Odessa today.

Yeah, so I saw.

The deal is still going ahead apparently, but you do wonder what the point is of going for this agreement and then looking to renege on it pretty much right away.

It doesn't really suit any military objective from what I can tell.

6 hours ago, taupe said:

People not fighting fair, in a war, who'da thought.

I'm finding it difficult to get my head around a trade deal between warring factions.

It’s not in Russia’s interest for some African countries, many of which are allies, to be denied grain that they desperately need. 
im sure that this was in Russia’s calculations when they invaded and they expected to be in control of these shipments months ago. 
they’ve been forced to the table to get this sorted 

but they won’t make things easy for ukraine and will make them use fighting resources in order to get shipments out. 

One interesting observation… it seems Russia has committed so many forces to capture the Donbas  region that Ukraine seem to be making some advances in the South.. reportedly have circled over 1,000 Russian troops and are about to cut off their Supply route into Kherson. 

I can see how the European Union and NATO might want to see this play out.. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/07/2022 at 17:21, MPH said:

Russia moves to shut Jewish Agency in Ukraine rift https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62254595

you couldn’t make it up. And it’s the Ukraine they said needs ‘ de-nazification’?

Religious tolerance in Russia is totally not a thing.

The Orthodox Church is now split because the Ukrainian Church declared self-rule (autocephalus) a few years ago because they did not want to be dictated to by Moscow and the autocratic Patriarch Kirill (a long term associate of Putin and regarded by many as a KGB agent).

In the occupied territories of Donbas they have closed down Baptist churches and arrested the pastors. 

The economic impact of the war in Ukraine is tough on its allies, the country's first lady has told the BBC, but as Britons "count pennies", Ukrainians "count casualties".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62766917

It`s nice that she found time to come out of her bunker to do this interview.

I did like her Vogue Magazine photo shoot a few weeks ago, stunning and brave...

Netizens split over Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky and his wife's  Vogue photo shoot - Lifestyle News

Portrait of Bravery: Ukraine's First Lady, Olena Zelenska ...

18 minutes ago, I am Rod Hull said:

The economic impact of the war in Ukraine is tough on its allies, the country's first lady has told the BBC, but as Britons "count pennies", Ukrainians "count casualties".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62766917

It`s nice that she found time to come out of her bunker to do this interview.

I did like her Vogue Magazine photo shoot a few weeks ago, stunning and brave...

Netizens split over Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky and his wife's  Vogue photo shoot - Lifestyle News

Portrait of Bravery: Ukraine's First Lady, Olena Zelenska ...

Both are remarkable people and are never going to shy away from what is needed to free their country from the Russian invasion.

The other remarkable thing is the number of bullet holes in whatever that is behind her in pic 2.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Both are remarkable people and are never going to shy away from what is needed to free their country from the Russian invasion.

The other remarkable thing is the number of bullet holes in whatever that is behind her in pic 2.

The "whatever that is behind her" was the Antonov 225. It was destroyed by Russian missiles, no bullet holes at all pal.

Edited by I am Rod Hull

3 minutes ago, kenny said:

RDT_20220906_2142472557517018315055749.thumb.jpg.49209d4dee7688548fb9068bf87a6127.jpg

Bit of a milestone today. A claimed 50k Russian deaths in the Ukraine. Official NATO figures will be lower of course but it's still a huge figure.

It’s hard to work out which side is telling the truth because of all the propaganda, but with Russia purchasing drones (failing) from Iran and now buying weapons from North Korea, they’re certainly depleting their own stocks. Whether that’s to do with western sanctions on things like microchips and controllers which is preventing them from renewing their own stocks, we’ll have to wait and see.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

It’s hard to work out which side is telling the truth because of all the propaganda, but with Russia purchasing drones (failing) from Iran and now buying weapons from North Korea, they’re certainly depleting their own stocks. Whether that’s to do with western sanctions on things like microchips and controllers which is preventing them from renewing their own stocks, we’ll have to wait and see.

NATO said 20k in July. So it's probably 30-40k plus casualties.

There is no doubt it's cranking up since the counter offensive.