Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Ukraine

9 hours ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62817560

Heading for a Cold War bipolar world at just the time unity is most needed. May the powers that govern the universe help us all, because we sure as shit don't seem to be able to help ourselves.

Russia wouldn't be moaning about sanctions unless it was really hitting them much harder than they are letting on. That's good news. 

Also, "he said Russia was coping with the West's economic "aggression". " 

Isn't it ironic how a man responsible for the displacement, death, and pillage of hundreds of thousands if not millions of people calls sanctions aggressive. 

Fingers crossed for the day Putin and his crones mysteriously fall out of a hospital window. I include his cronies  because his inner circle could be even worse than him at the helm, if that's possible. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

Russia wouldn't be moaning about sanctions unless it was really hitting them much harder than they are letting on. That's good news. 

Isn't it ironic how a man responsible for the displacement, death, and pillage of hundreds of thousands if not millions of people calls sanctions aggressive. 

Fingers crossed for the day Putin and his crones mysteriously fall out of a hospital window. I include his cronies  because his inner circle could be even worse than him at the helm, if that's possible. 

As I've said many times before, I despair of finding adults in international relations - outside of a few remarkable exceptions.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

https://www.ft.com/content/1e20467a-5b53-42b7-ad89-49808f7e1780

Trying to make sense of this. Are we in Europe just indirectly buying gas via China that originally came from Russia? Heard a few pro russia people talking about it.

Hope I'm just interpreting it wrong.

Nah. China sells theirs to Europe at high market rates then buys russian gas to use themselves.

Everyone wins.

1 hour ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

Hope they're getting a bargain on that russian gas then.

Russia’s still quids in.The rate is so high.Plus China will pay in Rubles.And yes it will make it’s way into Europe.I’ve heard enough about the energy crisis.I’m more concerned with the resulting job losses.That’s the next stage.Not really up for losing the ability to feed my family just to keep Uncle Joe happy

8 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

Russia’s still quids in.The rate is so high.Plus China will pay in Rubles.And yes it will make it’s way into Europe.I’ve heard enough about the energy crisis.I’m more concerned with the resulting job losses.That’s the next stage.Not really up for losing the ability to feed my family just to keep Uncle Joe happy

Good point about the roubles hadn't thought of that. 

Definitely wouldn't want to lose my job and ability to run a household either but I am more than willing to pay more for energy / some sacrifices for Ukraine's sovereignty... Long run will work out better. If Russia keeps large parts of Ukraine , they keep all of their natural resources driving up their power over grain and fuel.

• Like 1

Good to see Ukraine has forced Russia into admitting they've made significant movements in the east. It might not look like much but it shows that, ahead of winter, this isn't going to be all over by Christmas.

On one hand, it does indicate this will rumble on and on but it also means that Ukraine has the resolve to repel Russia. There will come a tipping point where Russia has to make a decision.

As above, we don't want Russia having access to all of the grain resources unchallenged. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, martyn said:

The news has been lost given circumstances here, but it seems like this Ukraine counter attack in the East has gone better than anyone's wildest expectations, with Russia in full retreat from some areas.

Respectable people think this might be the beginning of the end of this war. Putin has nowhere to go, he can’t escalate as he simply doesn’t have the manpower to see it through and from his recent left appearances, he has little intention of escalating. His only realistic option is to broker for peace at the stage of pre Feb 24th borders. It’s all a PR exercise for Russian government now. It’s really quite something. 

On 07/09/2022 at 23:13, LCFCCHRIS said:

Who the hell this twat think he's playing

Volabulary& games with I have no idea,plus any other  Russian wanna-be despot or Macho..

He's murdered 10,000 of women & children going through their normal lifes-routine & shit scared the Rest...

If China,India,S.Africa,other Eastern-European Neanderthals believe they still have the right to pull the Sickel-yoke jibe on the rest of the World...

Give me a gullable everyday yank

Anytime..All the time...!!

Murder they neighbour is not common

Practice...No matter how much I despise USA-politics,English,Western-European,Canadian,Australian neither..

Crazy maybe, however with the world leaders gathered in London on the 19th, tactically an escalation to nukes would cause chaos internationally. 

Is he bonkers enough to do something like that, considering he’s most likely losing this war? 

Edited by Sly

9 minutes ago, Sly said:

Crazy maybe, however with the world leaders gathered in London on the 19th, tactically an escalation to nukes would cause chaos internationally. 

Is he bonkers enough to do something like that, considering he’s most likely losing this war? 

One would hope not and consider logically that doing such a thing wouldn't get him what he wants anyhow...but that's assuming there is still something approaching logical progression going on over there.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

One would hope not and consider logically that doing such a thing wouldn't get him what he wants anyhow...but that's assuming there is still something approaching logical progression going on over there.

That is the concern. Tactically they’ve misjudged this invasion it would seem. 

With winter approaching, the conditions will begin to hamper them too. 

3 hours ago, Sly said:

No he’s not that bonkers. Even if he was that bonkers he has enough of a stranglehold in Russia to ‘spin’ any defeat. 

But your post is pure fantasy. 

Brilliant. This completely caught the Russian military off-guard then - who were digging in a strengthening along the southern front. Apparently, this is the first time since World War Two that entire Russian units have been lost. Russian generals are afraid to make mistakes, this then leads to a crisis of command and the centralisation of decision-making, in an attempt to try to push decisions as much upwards as possible to avoid responsibility. That kills their agility, response and ability to deal with multidirectional approaches.

The loss of the two key logistical hubs in the east - the railway cities of Izyum and Kupiansk is a huge military setback and a humiliation for President Putin whilst being hugely cathartic to the Ukrainian offensive and people. Saying that, their supply lines may be overstretched, in addition to the fact that it would always be a mistake to underestimate the Russian army’s capabilities.

the situation at the Russian-held Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant in Ukraine is "increasingly precarious". Shelling from both sides has disabled power in the nearby city of Enerhodar which fed the plant, with no likelihood that it will be restored. This would make the plant totally reliant on emergency diesel generators to prevent a nuclear accident. The plant reportedly only has diesel fuel for 10 days. The six-reactor plant was unplugged from the grid last week by its operators Energoatum and was placed in “island mode” for several days, generating electricity for crucial cooling systems from its only remaining reactor in operation. Reports I read this morning would suggest that it too is now also in a state of cold shut down. I think this is one of the ten biggest nuclear stations in the world? @Zear0 A demilitarisation zone needs to be enforced around the region so that the IAEA can continue work post inspection last week. Zelenskyy himself has been calling for this. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

Brilliant. This completely caught the Russian military off-guard then - who were digging in a strengthening along the southern front. Apparently, this is the first time since World War Two that entire Russian units have been lost. Russian generals are afraid to make mistakes, this then leads to a crisis of command and the centralisation of decision-making, in an attempt to try to push decisions as much upwards as possible to avoid responsibility. That kills their agility, response and ability to deal with multidirectional approaches.

The loss of the two key logistical hubs in the east - the railway cities of Izyum and Kupiansk is a huge military setback and a humiliation for President Putin whilst being hugely cathartic to the Ukrainian offensive and people. Saying that, their supply lines may be overstretched, in addition to the fact that it would always be a mistake to underestimate the Russian army’s capabilities.

the situation at the Russian-held Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant in Ukraine is "increasingly precarious". Shelling from both sides has disabled power in the nearby city of Enerhodar which fed the plant, with no likelihood that it will be restored. This would make the plant totally reliant on emergency diesel generators to prevent a nuclear accident. The plant reportedly only has diesel fuel for 10 days. The six-reactor plant was unplugged from the grid last week by its operators Energoatum and was placed in “island mode” for several days, generating electricity for crucial cooling systems from its only remaining reactor in operation. Reports I read this morning would suggest that it too is now also in a state of cold shut down. I think this is one of the ten biggest nuclear stations in the world? @Zear0 A demilitarisation zone needs to be enforced around the region so that the IAEA can continue work post inspection last week. Zelenskyy himself has been calling for this. 

Can't help think the IAEA have, rightly, pressured them to shutdown the plants.  For context, the presence of Xenon-135, generated through normal operation, is an absolute pig for shutdown operations.  If you shut down rapidly, which is a risk for that plant, you could potentially never be able to start it up again due to, what I suspect, the age of the core.  Fast SCRAMs are a safety necessity, but an operation that can potentially require them to refuel which in the current circumstances is definitely not happening.  The time between IAEA's arrival and this notice of cold shutdown is about the time you'd expect for a "proper" cold shutdown so good on them for getting them to safely shut those things down.  Not looked at a full report, but let's hope it's a proper cold shutdown and they've not just pumped it with boronated water.  Given the isolation from the grid, this place was a horrendous accident waiting to happen but seems proper engineering safeguarding is actually, finally, happening.  Hopefully they can get to a state where the decay heat from the core is such they can tolerate loss of coolant so if, worse case (nearly worse case), they lose cooling, it won't matter.  It's all baby steps but it reduces the risk with each activity. There's still the elephant in the room of a core getting hit by munitions which at any stage is bad bad bad.

• Thanks 1