Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Ukraine

7 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63072113

Always going to happen I guess

Seems he is all about calling the West's bluff

Unfortunately, yes. Was always going to happen, but how they can claim such a high percentage when they don’t control all of it is quite frankly laughable. They want to escalate it from all their actions and they claim self defence!!  The whole thing is ridiculous

As Pearson said once…Delusion of grandeur.

18 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

Unfortunately, yes. Was always going to happen, but how they can claim such a high percentage when they don’t control all of it is quite frankly laughable. They want to escalate it from all their actions and they claim self defence!!  The whole thing is ridiculous

As Pearson said once…Delusion of grandeur.

The high percentage feels like a secondary slap in the face, as clearly Putin realises nobody believes it. 

7 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1574078065143353344.html

Someone sent me this and it was interesting. Essentially the sham elections are sort of like a form of discipline towards the local population rather than anything like an election in western democracies.  

Scary stuff. :(

I think it’s a very clever move by putin given the situation he’s now in 

countries like China can hardly criticise a sham vote when they dont allow their citizens to vote ….

evidently the big chat on Chinese SM is who was responsible for the nordstream pipes being damaged - and they believe the country with most to gain is the USA 

again, a very clever move by putin. If Chinese public opinion is skewed to see Russia as becoming the victim here then China can extract a high price from Moscow for more tangible support and become completely non neutral. 

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I think it’s a very clever move by putin given the situation he’s now in 

countries like China can hardly criticise a sham vote when they dont allow their citizens to vote ….

evidently the big chat on Chinese SM is who was responsible for the nordstream pipes being damaged - and they believe the country with most to gain is the USA 

again, a very clever move by putin. If Chinese public opinion is skewed to see Russia as becoming the victim here then China can extract a high price from Moscow for more tangible support and become completely non neutral. 

Not really.Perhaps Chinese social media is adding 2 and 2 and getting 4.

1 hour ago, chapero82 said:

Clearly China are in on it too, if they are hanging out with Russian ships. Surely it’s time we stopped relying on these countries for imports?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/china-russia-warships-alaska-coast-guard-b2177066.html

I think that particular genie escaped the bottle a considerable time ago 

could probably get it back into it over a ten/fifteen year period ……which would be more expensive aswell ……and in fifteen years you better hope that the areas of the world you are then relying on are all jolly nice people …..

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I think that particular genie escaped the bottle a considerable time ago 

could probably get it back into it over a ten/fifteen year period ……which would be more expensive aswell ……and in fifteen years you better hope that the areas of the world you are then relying on are all jolly nice people …..

We should go back to relying on ourselves rather  than selling our souls for cheap labor

5 hours ago, casablancas said:

Lyman about to be regained 🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦

After Putin has announced the formal annexation of Donetsk Region. Was reading on some of the pro Russian reporters on telegram, who claimed the 2-3k of Russian troops in Lyman have missed the window to safely withdraw and now almost fully encircled, as they were ordered to hold on to delay the city falling before todays annexation ceremony. 

Just now, turlo said:

After Putin has announced the formal annexation of Donetsk Region. Was reading on some of the pro Russian reporters on telegram, who claimed the 2-3k of Russian troops in Lyman have missed the window to safely withdraw and now almost fully encircled, as they were ordered to hold on to delay the city falling before todays annexation ceremony. 

Yeah. They be fertiliser for the sun flowers by tonight. Unless they come out with the white flag. Btw … Fcuk you Putin. 

• Like 1

Well, all this was predictable. Ignore international law, hold referendums almost at gun point and get soldiers and children to vote. Yay they all want to be Russian! 

and we have Liz Truss!!!!!

honestly, it feels like a live version of the game Sid meier‘s civilisation…just need to find the quit and not to save the changes!! 

Edited by fox_favourite

You know what… Putin is ‘annexing’ masses of land that the Russians don’t even have control over. Did anyone see his speech when he  announced he was annexing the land..? not a single smile or show of enthusiasm  from the masses that HE wanted there. Just a forced clap.  I reckon he’s in trouble.. he’s going to back himself into a corner where he MIGHT order localized nuclear weapons but they won’t follow the order. He’s not being backed at all.. his  days are numbered…

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

This sounds ominous 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/02/us-russia-putin-ukraine-war-david-petraeus

Nato has to respond if Putin were to use nukes, but I can’t see how it all stops escalating.

Putin has to understand that if they are going to face significant losses against   A weakened neighbor , they surely stand absolutely no chance against a NATO military alliance  led by  the technology  that the U.S brings to the table. 

I have a relative who was a contractor to the U.S government and all he would tell me  is that the general public has no clue how advanced the technology the  U.S Army  possesses  is, And it would scare them if they did. 

1 hour ago, MPH said:

Putin has to understand that if they are going to face significant losses against   A weakened neighbor , they surely stand absolutely no chance against a NATO military alliance  led by  the technology  that the U.S brings to the table. 

I have a relative who was a contractor to the U.S government and all he would tell me  is that the general public has no clue how advanced the technology the  U.S Army  possesses  is, And it would scare them if they did. 

No ones got a clue what sort of stuff they’ve got floating round the earth, whatever they say or deny.

21 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

No ones got a clue what sort of stuff they’ve got floating round the earth, whatever they say or deny.

well obviously someone’s got a clue..  I mean, it’s not being made with A4 paper in a pentagon office..

2 hours ago, MPH said:

I don't think that anyone should have any doubt that technologically the US military is streets ahead of practically all comers and therefore a conventional conflict against Russia with NATO backed by that tech would almost certainly result in a conclusive victory for NATO.

However, the fact remains that Putin has, at any time, the option to declare such a conflict null and void, flip the table (as it were), and end the "game". So I'm not sure how much such a conventional advantage means in the overall strategic sense.

9 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I don't think that anyone should have any doubt that technologically the US military is streets ahead of practically all comers and therefore a conventional conflict against Russia with NATO backed by that tech would almost certainly result in a conclusive victory for NATO.

However, the fact remains that Putin has, at any time, the option to declare such a conflict null and void, flip the table (as it were), and end the "game". So I'm not sure how much such a conventional advantage means in the overall strategic sense.

I know we are going round in circles here but that would go completely against all his aims- the furthering of the Russian ‘Union’. It also  has to be said that his grip on totalitarian rule seems to be slipping ever so slightly so there’s no guarantee any more that if this order was to come through that it would be acted upon…

20 minutes ago, MPH said:

I know we are going round in circles here but that would go completely against all his aims- the furthering of the Russian ‘Union’. It also  has to be said that his grip on totalitarian rule seems to be slipping ever so slightly so there’s no guarantee any more that if this order was to come through that it would be acted upon…

No, you're absolutely right - it doesn't get him what he wants. If, however, NATO did beat him so thoroughly that he thought the only choice was between that, a prison cell or six feet of dirt...

WRT chain of command in such a situation, whether or not the folks on the ground (as it were) would be willing to turn the keys and signal the end of human civilisation even under orders has been a mystery for the ages in every military that has such power (look at the movie WarGames and that's almost 40 years old). Let's hope we never have to find out.