Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Ukraine

54 minutes ago, MPH said:

Russian U-turn allows grain deal to resume https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63483133

definite case of saving face here by Russia. By “ allowing “ it to take place they believe they are reasserting their control over the situation for it to happen without their explicit permission they  appear very weakened  and it’s frankly embarrassing for them..

Let's face it, the last ten months has been frankly embarrassing for them. 

• Like 3

The Russians look like they’re abandoning Kherson. To me that is good and bad. The civilians have noticed check points have gone and the Russian flag gone off the government building. But officials think it could be a trap. For me, this could be a trap. Seems all too convenient to evacuate citizens to Russia, the ‘movement out’ of troops recently, the accusations of dirty bins or Ukrainians blowing up the dam. To me, something isn’t quite right. 

Edited by fox_favourite

6 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

The Russians look like they’re abandoning Kherson. To me that is good and bad. The civilians have noticed check points have gone and the Russian flag gone off the government building. But officials think it could be a trap. For me, this could be a trap. Seems all too convenient to evacuate citizens to Russia, the ‘movement out’ of troops recently, the accusations of dirty bins or Ukrainians blowing up the dam. To me, something isn’t quite right. 

Given I've read in the MoD daily brief that the Russians are also carrying on their Stalinist tradition of firing on their own retreating troops, it does seem unlikely they'd just leave Kherson. Fortunately the Ukrainians are extremely savvy and have great Intel so hopefully won't fall for anything like this. 

38 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Given I've read in the MoD daily brief that the Russians are also carrying on their Stalinist tradition of firing on their own retreating troops, it does seem unlikely they'd just leave Kherson. Fortunately the Ukrainians are extremely savvy and have great Intel so hopefully won't fall for anything like this. 

Could be that Russia is actually running out of ideas on how to actually occupy a huge area, it's not beyond the realms of possiblity that this mighty superpower might not be that super. Okay they've got a hugh nuclear arsenal, but what use are nuclear weapons that are designed to attack a country 10000 miles away at hyperspeeds when you're fighting an enemy a few hundred miles away from your capital that appears to have momentum and the belief that they can't lose because if they do their whole country is gone. Russia must be running short of short-medium range weaponry, else they wouldn't be using iranian drones and north korean missiles, we know that they're running out of troops else they wouldn't have conscripted 300,000 what look like a bunch of pissheads, if they are shooting troops that are retreating, that's not going to last very long and from what we're being fed in the media, most of these recent mobilized troops don't want to be there anyway because their families are not receiving the payments they were promised and the effects of the vodka are wearing off. Problem is, Russia has to win, but eventually the bullshit and propaganda will run out as you can only pacify a nation for so long. 

3 hours ago, Blarmy said:

🙄

Roll your eyes as you wish. We've done this dance before.

Garry Kasparov is right (and I hope one day he might rise to senior office in Russia of some sort)... and so am I.

NB. For the record, once again: viewing Russia's actions as similar to those of other antagonists in other wars (which they are) is not in any way downplaying how fvcking nasty they are, and if the remarks on it are being considered in that light, then that is in error.

Edited by leicsmac

7 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Roll your eyes as you wish. We've done this dance before.

Garry Kasparov is right (and I hope one day he might rise to senior office in Russia of some sort)... and so am I.

NB. For the record, once again: viewing Russia's actions as similar to those of other antagonists in other wars (which they are) is not in any way downplaying how fvcking nasty they are, and if the remarks on it are being considered in that light, then that is in error.

Oh, I know all that. It just gets tiresome after the 100th time. I think everyone knows that Russia invading Ukraine isn’t the only bad thing that’s ever happened, and I think everyone knows that Russia isn’t the only country that has ever done bad things. You seem to have some kind of compulsion to point this out and, as I have said before, I find it irritating. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blarmy said:

Oh, I know all that. It just gets tiresome after the 100th time. I think everyone knows that Russia invading Ukraine isn’t the only bad thing that’s ever happened, and I think everyone knows that Russia isn’t the only country that has ever done bad things. You seem to have some kind of compulsion to point this out and, as I have said before, I find it irritating. 

...as people pointing out that Russia are doing these bad things for the 100th time irritates me and likewise I find that tiresome.

So I guess we're united in irritation. Welcome to the weekend, huh? :D

I’m reading Rishi’s wife / or the family business (- is that infosys?) has taken dividends circa 11.5 million pounds and they are still operating in Russia and have a staffed office in Moscow? That’s not going to look great? 

2 hours ago, Nick said:

I’m reading Rishi’s wife / or the family business (- is that infosys?) has taken dividends circa 11.5 million pounds and they are still operating in Russia and have a staffed office in Moscow? That’s not going to look great? 

We're not allowed to talk about it...

According to an analyst on Radio 4 this morning, Ukraine are running perilously low on air defences - MPAD surface to air missiles in particular. The fear is, that Russia will now revert to its default tactic of reducing large civilian areas and electricity generation to rubble - as they did in Syria. With winter approaching this will be devastating. I anticipate that there will be large scale evacuations from the cities once more, in particular Kiev.

Satellite images have also detected a recently excavated huge mass grave just outside Mariupol. 

3 hours ago, Line-X said:

According to an analyst on Radio 4 this morning, Ukraine are running perilously low on air defences - MPAD surface to air missiles in particular. The fear is, that Russia will now revert to its default tactic of reducing large civilian areas and electricity generation to rubble - as they did in Syria. With winter approaching this will be devastating. I anticipate that there will be large scale evacuations from the cities once more, in particular Kiev.

Satellite images have also detected a recently excavated huge mass grave just outside Mariupol. 

Yep the evil b@stard is really going to make them suffer in the winter ...  now there is absolutely no pretence of not targeting civilians whatsoever.   He will be remembered in history as the evil monster that he is.

The only 'positive' to this (if there can be such a thing) is that the whilst he is chuckling at this it might placate and distract him enough to dismiss the use of nuclear weapons. 

12 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Yep the evil b@stard is really going to make them suffer in the winter ...  now there is absolutely no pretence of not targeting civilians whatsoever.   He will be remembered in history as the evil monster that he is.

The only 'positive' to this (if there can be such a thing) is that the whilst he is chuckling at this it might placate and distract him enough to dismiss the use of nuclear weapons. 

the only answer is to supply missiles capable of hitting moscow, russia will back off then and imo, that is going to be the end game anyway.

20 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

the only answer is to supply missiles capable of hitting moscow, russia will back off then and imo, that is going to be the end game anyway.

OMG, really this is what you are seriously suggesting?

Have you not read anything that's been written that Russia will consider such an incident as a direct threat to its country and will then use all means necessary in retaliation?

You do know the potential result, don't you?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Line-X said:

well at least they are not pretending that they are only there to de-nazify Ukraine any more…

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

or they will level Kyiv in retaliation.

9 hours ago, Parafox said:

OMG, really this is what you are seriously suggesting?

Have you not read anything that's been written that Russia will consider such an incident as a direct threat to its country and will then use all means necessary in retaliation?

You do know the potential result, don't you?

Course i do, but it's going to happen eventually, Ukraine will either acquire or build their own missiles capable of hitting targets 600km away, do you really think that once/if  a peace is ever established that will be the end of it? They are going to do everything they can to prevent another invasion in 5-10 years time.

The only way out of this is to overthrow Putin. That will need the Russian people to finally wake up to his tyranny. If Ukraine or anyone else starts bombing Moscow or any other city it is just going to reinforce Putin's support. I don't know if polling happens in Russia and if it did how accurate it would be, but I would love to know the genuine approval rating for Putin right now.

51 minutes ago, Captain... said:

The only way out of this is to overthrow Putin. That will need the Russian people to finally wake up to his tyranny. If Ukraine or anyone else starts bombing Moscow or any other city it is just going to reinforce Putin's support. I don't know if polling happens in Russia and if it did how accurate it would be, but I would love to know the genuine approval rating for Putin right now.

there are so many nut jobs in Russian politics that, believe it or not, Putin can be considered a moderate. A replacement could take them further back towards communism and stronger attempts to re-establish the Soviet Union..

Edited by MPH

34 minutes ago, MPH said:

there are so many nut jobs in Russian politics that, believe it or not, Putin can be considered a moderate. A replacement could take them further back towards communism and stronger attempts to re-establish the Soviet Union..

Is there an opposition party as such? One that is actually a viable alternative and more moderate than Putin.