Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Players who completely fell off

On 09/03/2022 at 15:47, Leicesterpool said:

Jack rodwell, once a prospect at Everton goes to Man City barely played. Heads to the north east with Sunderland down hill from then on.

Happens to a few players who are good for a smaller or less successful teams and get their heads turned by big clubs offering big wages. Often in English players cases it's to fill a home grown quota, but its not always just English players. I can remember similar fates happening to Scott Sinclair and Wilfred Bony at Man City, Danny Drinkwater to some degree at Chelsea, aswell as Scott Parker and Steve Sidwell there too. Before his off the pitch troubles I'd be tempted to include Adam Johnson too after his move to Man City although I still think he was playing OK for Sunderland before his arrest.

In terms of the home grown player rule it's an unforseen consequence of it, because its meant to promote English players to first team squads, but actually ends up with big teams taking the better ones to bulk out their squads to stick to the rule whilst they actually don't have any intention of using them much. I mean if you you look at the squads these teams had when signing these players there's no way there were coming in as first or even second choice in their position. I find it frustrating because I think the intention of the rule to help English players get more football, when in some cases it prevents it and stunts progression. A few more years at Swansea, playing every week and maybe Scott Sinclair becomes a much better player than he ended up being after a few years sat on the bench at Man City.

Dare I say Adam Johnson, at Man City he certainly was netting a few as getting loads of assists to his name. Once a regular for England, then joins Sunderland... hit and miss in that spell... then ends up getting arrested and sent to prison for having sex with a minor. Career over. 

1 hour ago, Leicesterpool said:

Dare I say Adam Johnson, at Man City he certainly was netting a few as getting loads of assists to his name. Once a regular for England, then joins Sunderland... hit and miss in that spell... then ends up getting arrested and sent to prison for having sex with a minor. Career over. 

He was pretty good for sunderland tbh, he basically kept them up when he shouldn't have been playing

16 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

He was pretty good for sunderland tbh, he basically kept them up when he shouldn't have been playing

He probably would have been still playing in the premier league if he hadn't decided to break the law. Most likely playing for Everton or Southampton maybe.