Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

22/23 Kit

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

Unpopular opinion but I dont see the big deal with betting sponsorships. Its part of sport. Those that want to gamble, will always gamble.  Why do people need to be wrapped in cotton wool so much?

Of course its better to have a product that is good for society but what is? Is walkers bad as it makes kids eat more crisps?  I understand that gambling is a problem for many but they arent hooked because Southampton have spotsbet on their shirt. 

Im not bothered if they ban it btw, I just dont think its as needed as people seem to claim 

For me it seems that the constant television ads are the problem rather than a betting partner with a football club tbh.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

But legally, there is a giant chasm. Different laws, different definitions, etc., etc. Any rules, regulations, etc., won't affect stock market trading companies.

Yes I agree. I work in financial services and for the regulator for a while. There is a lot of differences between firms and the types of activity though. They have had changed rules and regulations historically numerous times when they feel activity or practises are not promoting the right behaviours in line with the regulatory principles though. Still it’s not as bad as estate agents. Then I wouldn’t buy the shirt. 

hoping you are not an estate agent!!

Edited by Supergray22

Playing devils advocate here but what’s the difference for the ordinary man/woman/child between seeing betting companies on the front of football shirts and walking past bookies on the high street? If someone has an addictive personality, will removing betting companies from shirts solve that? Should alcohol advertising also be banned? Plenty of people enjoy a drink responsibly regardless of advertising.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supergray22 said:

Yes I agree. I work in financial services and for the regulator for a while. There is a lot of differences between firms and the types of activity though. They have had changed rules and regulations historically numerous times when they feel activity or practises are not promoting the right behaviours in line with the regulatory principles though. Still it’s not as bad as estate agents. Then I wouldn’t buy the shirt. 

hoping you are not an estate agent!!

No  ..  but starting the hunt for a new house!

1 hour ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

No  ..  but starting the hunt for a new house!

Same here. They expect you to make probably the biggest financial decision of your life based on one quick viewing. I’m looking too and that happened to me last week. Went to private bids and we lost out despite offering over the asking price. Stoking up a frenzy and creating panic. That’s an area that needs more regulation and one that I would not be happy to see on the front of my shirt!

Rant over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I'll answer this if I may as a recovering compulsive gambler. You are absolutely right around freedom of choice and responsibility cannot always be left to society and organisations at the mercy of people who aren't in control of their lives. People have to take responsibility for themselves. If someone wants a bet who's a gambling addict then they'll likely find any means to feed their addiction, likewise an alcoholic or a drug addict. 

However there's still a moral responsibility for what constitutes something getting way out of control and I think we're well in that territory, boundaries need to be put in place for these companies and I'll tell you why. Gambling companies aren't bombarding people with relentless adverts on TV, online, on the radio, on bill boards, on sports clothing and sponsoring stadiums and anything that a pair of eyes can see if it's not making them vasts amounts of money. They are making hay whilst the sun shines because very little has been done to stop them from this juggernaut of what to some is a recreational past time and to others and everyone around them is a destructive ticking time bomb that devastates lives.

Look at the sheer money involved, the owner of Bet 365 pays herself a dividend of nearly £400m a year, it's absolutely astonishing. The industry has been awash with suspect practices and a lack of accountability of what they're up to from watchdogs and the gambling commission because quite frankly everyone's making too much money. 

So whilst gambling sponsorship being plastered on the front of football teams shirts is not going to be the difference between some spotty little urchin going and doing all his bunce in the roulette machine down Corals each week, rhe behaviours of these companies to turn over these sickening profits which in turn allows them to pay multi million pound sponsorship deals to keep feeding the beast is what's the issue.

A lot of these companies practices around how they deal with " loyal customers " paints a very dark picture on the industry and I've certainly had first hand experience of this. Loyal customers to gambling companies are largely all compulsive gamblers, very few gamblers peak the interest of these companies that gamble recreationally, ok not all gamblers who may bet back and forth significant money have their lives being controlled by gambling but there'll be a very fine line.

Anyway, these customers will be zoned in on and ensured that under no circumstances are they to be left to their own devices to gamble occasionally and to walk away with Big wins or even losses thst might mean they don't come back time and time again to bet more and more. They do this in all manner of ways, but mainly in the guise of free bets.

Now free bets will be another topic of conversation similar to gambling sponsorship, why should there be a ban on it because it might lead to some people who can't control themselves becoming worse and worse. Well consider this, why do these gambling companies offer free bets? They don't do it out of generosity to lose put on a load of revenue, in the same way they don't pay stupid amounts of money on sponsorships and advertising. It's because the traction they get from doing so blows normal gambling activity out the water. Especially with their loyal customers who they can manipulate in to receive huge amounts of regular free bets that they'll invariably lose, as well as any additional extra money that they've then gone and used to chase the recent losses that engulf and consume the addicted gambler. They simply have to get that money back, it eats away at their every waking moment and these companies have algorithms and entire company strategies and business plans to expose and prey on that.

That's why a load of them have been fined and promise to change their practices and yet the authorities are going through the motions and ticking boxes and these companies know that they can ride it out and come up with new tactics to keep bringing in obscene money to fund their dirty empire.

I will leave you with a sickening and horrifying statistic from a House of Lords report published in 2021, that you can then consider whether their actions do have an impact on the vulnerable or whether this is censorship going too far and they should be allowed to crack on and continue the bombardment. 

" House of Lords report found last year that 60 percent of the industry’s profits came from 5 percent of its customers — namely problem gamblers, or gamblers at risk of developing a problem "

So these companies are turning over more than half their profits from an incredibly small cohort of people who are problem gamblers. Turn off the gravy train to help better protect these problem gamblers and these companies will suddenly see their revenue shattered and I can't imagine these very generous organisations that are dishing out vast money to football teams to spend on left footed right wingers would continue nor would these lovely folk be ringing me up to tell me they've dropped a £500 free bet in to my account to enjoy the weekend with.

So putting my bias to one side, I'm happy to do my part as a citizen of our society to take responsibility for my mistakes and my weaknesses and lean upon the help out there to try and become a better person for both myself but more importantly my family and not ruin peoples lives as well as my own by this sickening disease. I take full responsibility of that but I also fight for others who haven't yet gained or aren't capable of finding the strength to do this on their own and need the protection of our society and our country to tighten up on actions that are so vulgar and immoral.

Good post on an important subject. When gambling gets more heavily regulated and restricted the chancers will move on to the next addictive money making idea. From smoking to drugs gambling and so on racketeers will always find a way to hit those most vulnerable. If you look at the people drawn to cryptocurrency day trading and spread betting for example there are so many similarities to this behaviour in terms of targeting, promotion and addiction and the ability to skim a cut off the top. It’s a real shame the damage it can do to lives and society.  It’s blatant and more should be done. It’s easy to say it’s individual choice and go on about freedoms but anyone who has ever had an addiction problem will understand it can’t be thought of or tackled by these simplistic and patronising terms. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

The industry doesn't spend roughly 100m annually on football shirt sponsorship for fun. 

It does it to recruit new customers because it does work and pulls people in. 

For some, gambling is a fun pastime; for others, it is an addictive curse that destroys their lives and families.

As a society, we don't need kids or adults being be exposed to wall to wall advertising that may harm their future well being.

Addiction, whether its alcohol, drugs, or gambling, destroys lives   

Yep - was gonna post I daresay you'll notice the effects down the line too if the exposure to gambling adverts isn't curbed any time soon, a generational thing. 

6 hours ago, StanSP said:

Is it similar colour to that irreversible kit we had? 

Sounds like it's that beige gold colour we had for that strip yeah, however I think that kit was reversible? If it was irreversible you'd only be able wear it one way, surely?

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 27/05/2022 at 01:20, st albans fox said:

It’s only really shanghai that’s been locked down in China for a lengthy period. 

they don’t make football kits there, nor do they produce the fabric in that area. 

I can’t see why there would be any big problems.  Vietnam had issues a few months ago. I think our kits are made in Thailand. There could be some production hangover but I would think it would be resolved within a few weeks 

This is not true. I think it’s fair to say Shanghai was locked down for the longest period but there has been lots of lengthy lockdowns. I live in the city of Lianyungang. You’ll never of heard of it but it’s where the Belt and Road initiative ends (the new Silk Road). It therefore despite being relatively small for a Chinese city (about 5 million people) has one of the biggest ports in the world. We were locked down, alarms on our door type stuff (the entire city) for nearly 40 days between March and April and even when we were allowed outside only some things could open for the next month or so. This has been repeated to some degree in almost all cities here in the last few months.

So no it’s not just shanghai although it is a little annoying they get all the attention.

8 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Sounds like it's that beige gold colour we had for that strip yeah, however I think that kit was reversible? If it was irreversible you'd only be able wear it one way, surely?

Yeah I got that wrong lol

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, peach0000 said:

This is not true. I think it’s fair to say Shanghai was locked down for the longest period but there has been lots of lengthy lockdowns. I live in the city of Lianyungang. You’ll never of heard of it but it’s where the Belt and Road initiative ends (the new Silk Road). It therefore despite being relatively small for a Chinese city (about 5 million people) has one of the biggest ports in the world. We were locked down, alarms on our door type stuff (the entire city) for nearly 40 days between March and April and even when we were allowed outside only some things could open for the next month or so. This has been repeated to some degree in almost all cities here in the last few months.

So no it’s not just shanghai although it is a little annoying they get all the attention.

Appreciate that and that must have been quite a challenge to get through.

but for relevance and context here I referenced Shanghai -   football kits aren’t made in China any more. It will only be the fabrics that are knitted and dyed there (and it’s possible that the big producers have plants outside China now) - the two areas which do that are Zhejiang and guangzhou. Parts of Guangzhou did have some restrictions a few months ago but not for extended periods. It’s inconceivable that adidas are only able to use one supply chain route for their raw materials and processing. 

the kits seem to be perhaps three weeks behind schedule - we aren’t the only PL club slow to release.  Local supply chain issues are probably the cause for the few weeks delay but once the manufacturers realised they were going to miss that ‘last week of the season selling window’, there is little point in rushing supply into the club shops. 

You would think, however, that they wouldn’t want to miss online sales to those going in their hols this summer and wanting to wear the new kit.  Later this week has been mentioned as the date we’ll see it revealed. Seems reasonable - but where are the leaks ?  We always get leaks …..

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I'll answer this if I may as a recovering compulsive gambler. You are absolutely right around freedom of choice and responsibility cannot always be left to society and organisations at the mercy of people who aren't in control of their lives. People have to take responsibility for themselves. If someone wants a bet who's a gambling addict then they'll likely find any means to feed their addiction, likewise an alcoholic or a drug addict. 

However there's still a moral responsibility for what constitutes something getting way out of control and I think we're well in that territory, boundaries need to be put in place for these companies and I'll tell you why. Gambling companies aren't bombarding people with relentless adverts on TV, online, on the radio, on bill boards, on sports clothing and sponsoring stadiums and anything that a pair of eyes can see if it's not making them vasts amounts of money. They are making hay whilst the sun shines because very little has been done to stop them from this juggernaut of what to some is a recreational past time and to others and everyone around them is a destructive ticking time bomb that devastates lives.

Look at the sheer money involved, the owner of Bet 365 pays herself a dividend of nearly £400m a year, it's absolutely astonishing. The industry has been awash with suspect practices and a lack of accountability of what they're up to from watchdogs and the gambling commission because quite frankly everyone's making too much money. 

So whilst gambling sponsorship being plastered on the front of football teams shirts is not going to be the difference between some spotty little urchin going and doing all his bunce in the roulette machine down Corals each week, rhe behaviours of these companies to turn over these sickening profits which in turn allows them to pay multi million pound sponsorship deals to keep feeding the beast is what's the issue.

A lot of these companies practices around how they deal with " loyal customers " paints a very dark picture on the industry and I've certainly had first hand experience of this. Loyal customers to gambling companies are largely all compulsive gamblers, very few gamblers peak the interest of these companies that gamble recreationally, ok not all gamblers who may bet back and forth significant money have their lives being controlled by gambling but there'll be a very fine line.

Anyway, these customers will be zoned in on and ensured that under no circumstances are they to be left to their own devices to gamble occasionally and to walk away with Big wins or even losses thst might mean they don't come back time and time again to bet more and more. They do this in all manner of ways, but mainly in the guise of free bets.

Now free bets will be another topic of conversation similar to gambling sponsorship, why should there be a ban on it because it might lead to some people who can't control themselves becoming worse and worse. Well consider this, why do these gambling companies offer free bets? They don't do it out of generosity to lose put on a load of revenue, in the same way they don't pay stupid amounts of money on sponsorships and advertising. It's because the traction they get from doing so blows normal gambling activity out the water. Especially with their loyal customers who they can manipulate in to receive huge amounts of regular free bets that they'll invariably lose, as well as any additional extra money that they've then gone and used to chase the recent losses that engulf and consume the addicted gambler. They simply have to get that money back, it eats away at their every waking moment and these companies have algorithms and entire company strategies and business plans to expose and prey on that.

That's why a load of them have been fined and promise to change their practices and yet the authorities are going through the motions and ticking boxes and these companies know that they can ride it out and come up with new tactics to keep bringing in obscene money to fund their dirty empire.

I will leave you with a sickening and horrifying statistic from a House of Lords report published in 2021, that you can then consider whether their actions do have an impact on the vulnerable or whether this is censorship going too far and they should be allowed to crack on and continue the bombardment. 

" House of Lords report found last year that 60 percent of the industry’s profits came from 5 percent of its customers — namely problem gamblers, or gamblers at risk of developing a problem "

So these companies are turning over more than half their profits from an incredibly small cohort of people who are problem gamblers. Turn off the gravy train to help better protect these problem gamblers and these companies will suddenly see their revenue shattered and I can't imagine these very generous organisations that are dishing out vast money to football teams to spend on left footed right wingers would continue nor would these lovely folk be ringing me up to tell me they've dropped a £500 free bet in to my account to enjoy the weekend with.

So putting my bias to one side, I'm happy to do my part as a citizen of our society to take responsibility for my mistakes and my weaknesses and lean upon the help out there to try and become a better person for both myself but more importantly my family and not ruin peoples lives as well as my own by this sickening disease. I take full responsibility of that but I also fight for others who haven't yet gained or aren't capable of finding the strength to do this on their own and need the protection of our society and our country to tighten up on actions that are so vulgar and immoral.

Very well put. And to be clear, I don’t advocate the advertising, was merely exploring all arguments.

I’m more than happy with banning the shirt sponsorships, to be honest, this should also extend to any form of advertising (like they did with tobacco, although it took me years after that to pack up smoking). plus, it looks really cheap on the front of a football shirt.

Although I’m no marketing expert, I think the main gain for these betting companies is to keep their name at the front of peoples minds, versus attracting new (as is never gambled before) customers.

Unfortunately, it’s money that makes the world, and especially football these days, go round. There are too many people happy to shrug off the effects on others if it means they get their payday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Appreciate that and that must have been quite a challenge to get through.

but for relevance and context here I referenced Shanghai -   football kits aren’t made in China any more. It will only be the fabrics that are knitted and dyed there (and it’s possible that the big producers have plants outside China now) - the two areas which do that are Zhejiang and guangzhou. Parts of Guangzhou did have some restrictions a few months ago but not for extended periods. It’s inconceivable that adidas are only able to use one supply chain route for their raw materials and processing. 

the kits seem to be perhaps three weeks behind schedule - we aren’t the only PL club slow to release.  Local supply chain issues are probably the cause for the few weeks delay but once the manufacturers realised they were going to miss that ‘last week of the season selling window’, there is little point in rushing supply into the club shops. 

You would think, however, that they wouldn’t want to miss online sales to those going in their hols this summer and wanting to wear the new kit.  Later this week has been mentioned as the date we’ll see it revealed. Seems reasonable - but where are the leaks ?  We always get leaks …..

Oh yeah no doubt it will not effect the production. I believe that is done in countries like Cambodia. The one thing it could affect is the shipping. Container ships often stop in China and have been getting delayed there quite a lot recently or just waiting around for delays in Chinese ports. As you say the Guangzhou/Shenzhen lockdown didn’t last long. Actually people here were quite bitter how easy they got off when they had more cases than many cities that were forced to lock down properly. 

20 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Yes, it was reversible, mainly blue on the other side, with the club badge on the 'wrong' side on the blue side. The sponsor was Alliance and Leicester. Yes, I still have one of them.

On 27/05/2022 at 16:39, StanSP said:

Is it similar colour to that irreversible kit we had? 

LC4658-11.JPG?width=2100&height=1181

Would say that I've had one of these stashed in the attic for a few years, but suspect the police would probably kick the door in pretty sharpish. :whistle:

Certain the inside was dark blue.

• Haha 3