Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

On 27/10/2022 at 18:57, FoyleFox said:

Has anyone signed up to one of the schemes the energy firms are running, where they are paying you to reduce usage at peak times? British Gas announced a scheme today, Octopus and Ovo already launched theirs.

@FoyleFoxHI, just had a look at their website but couldn't see this anywhere. Could you include a link please?

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

8 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

@FoyleFoxHI, just had a look at their website but couldn't see this anywhere. Could you include a link please?

I saw the announcement about the British Gas one on Money Saving Expert Twitter

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2022/10/octopus-ovo-energy-pay-to-cut-electricity-use/

It doesn't sound like it's actually launched yet - British Gas told us it is aiming to start trialling its scheme "later this year" – but couldn't confirm an exact date yet.

57 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

I saw the announcement about the British Gas one on Money Saving Expert Twitter

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2022/10/octopus-ovo-energy-pay-to-cut-electricity-use/

It doesn't sound like it's actually launched yet - British Gas told us it is aiming to start trialling its scheme "later this year" – but couldn't confirm an exact date yet.

Thanks. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Little tip from someone who now realises they are a bit silly

If you have a water meter, check your bills!!

Our bills over the last two years have been estimates, and this half year we have just had it read

Turns out our yearly bill of £320 was way over the correct amount, as this half year it is only £60!!

Submit a reading if you have been receiving estimated bills is my little tip

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Some idiot ahem :ph34r: in our house forgot to put the dishwasher on last night, availing of the night rate. So, it's had to go on today, at the full 24p a unit rate :(

Why not wash up for now using the 'traditional' way? Or wait a day until the moon rises again? Are you that short of cutlery/crockery/utensils?

• Like 3

On 13/11/2022 at 08:58, Dahnsouff said:

Little tip from someone who now realises they are a bit silly

If you have a water meter, check your bills!!

Our bills over the last two years have been estimates, and this half year we have just had it read

Turns out our yearly bill of £320 was way over the correct amount, as this half year it is only £60!!

Submit a reading if you have been receiving estimated bills is my little tip

The f*****s are quick enough to overestimate yer usage so's to build up their coffers but slow to ask if yer usage is atypical of, fer instance, a three bedroom semi with 4.4 people living there. The offices of fair trading are awfully slack in protecting consumer rights.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, gerblod said:

Why not wash up for now using the 'traditional' way? Or wait a day until the moon rises again? Are you that short of cutlery/crockery/utensils?

It hadn't been run for 2 nights, so the crockery and utensils situation was not good. According to the smart meter, it cost 40p to do the cycle, although other items were on at that point. Things aren't that bad that getting the marigolds out was a consideration!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gerblod said:

The f*****s are quick enough to overestimate yer usage so's to build up their coffers but slow to ask if yer usage is atypical of, fer instance, a three bedroom semi with 4.4 people living there. The offices of fair trading are awfully slack in protecting consumer rights.

Indeed, although I suspect water companies feel they can almost act with impunity in the light of the behaviour of the energy companies

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobHawk said:

Investing in a dehumidifier today to help with drying the washing now the tumble dryer is on restricted use. 

Anyone use one? The reviews online are very good online

As posted previously in the 'have you put your heating on' topic. We have had great success, not just for washing but for use in the living room also. It removes all the moist air...and in turn raises the temp of the room, runs on little energy comparatively.

2 hours ago, Flamey said:

As posted previously in the 'have you put your heating on' topic. We have had great success, not just for washing but for use in the living room also. It removes all the moist air...and in turn raises the temp of the room, runs on little energy comparatively.

Good to hear, just got home and plugged it in. Will see how we get in 👍

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

Good to hear, just got home and plugged it in. Will see how we get in 👍

What sort did you go for?

3 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Weekly shop just seems to creep up and up every time.

for sure, every item is going up I was out earlier looking to buy some garlic bread, 2 garlic baguettes is now 2.30 in co op couldn't believe my eyes.. i didn't bother buying due to the price... that's like a 110% price increase since I last bought them.

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 1

We got a probreeze on a deal from Amazon about a month ago, very impressed with it.

Gotta say, just an afternoon in and I'm really impressed. Will report back further in a few days but so far it seems very good. It must have been 1-2 litres of water in the tank after just 3-4hours. Clothes finally seemed to be drying.

• Like 1

Food prices are getting seriously ridiculous. I'm lucky I work at a place with huge food wastage. Used to be I'd bring a sandwich or two home in a week, now my hole family eats lunch almost exclusively from what gets thrown out at my work, and dinners are big bake lasagnes, pasta bakes, shephards pies etc. Even if I fancy a box of 10 beers from the corner shop to last the weekend that's gone from a tenner to 13 quid since a month or two ago.