Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

9 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

Gotta say, just an afternoon in and I'm really impressed. Will report back further in a few days but so far it seems very good. It must have been 1-2 litres of water in the tank after just 3-4hours. Clothes finally seemed to be drying.

Yep, they work very well imo. 👍 Like the air fryer I wouldn't be without one now.

4 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Food prices are getting seriously ridiculous. I'm lucky I work at a place with huge food wastage. Used to be I'd bring a sandwich or two home in a week, now my hole family eats lunch almost exclusively from what gets thrown out at my work, and dinners are big bake lasagnes, pasta bakes, shephards pies etc. Even if I fancy a box of 10 beers from the corner shop to last the weekend that's gone from a tenner to 13 quid since a month or two ago. 

We cut back to one or two fast food things a month for health reasons, but the soaring cost of curries, chippies and pizzas have pretty much knocked it on the head altogether. I don't think the price they're now charging is a justifiable outlay. Likewise, if I'm treating myself to some booze then I'll be own label bargain shopping.

And as for weekly shopping, as I do all of that and the cooking in the house, I've been staggered by the drop in quality as much as I have the ever increasing bill. Tescos and Morrisons are now on my banned list following food going off before sell-by dates - and the standard of veg is through the floor. I was ragging the Morrison's food hall manager about it the other week.

Just now, Legend_in_blue said:

A pack of 48 Weetabix is £5.50 in Sainsburys.  Yet the own brand is £2.70 for the same thing.  Obscene.

Aldi has mostly kept its prices consistent. Some slight rises here or there.

Branded food has gone silly. Couldn't believe Yorkshire teabag prices and they have reduced the number of bags in the box.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kenny said:

Aldi has mostly kept its prices consistent. Some slight rises here or there.

Branded food has gone silly. Couldn't believe Yorkshire teabag prices and they have reduced the number of bags in the box.

Wherever this stuff comes from, there's plenty taking advantage of the situation imo.

Take coffee for example.  I now buy the ground stuff as the instant Nescafe is £7 a jar.  In fact it's now 7.30 a jar, I just checked, but they've got it on offer for £5!  

Both suppliers and the supermarkets taking the **** imo in equal measure.  Up the price, then immediately discount it, before taking the offer off and then charging even more.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Daggers said:

We cut back to one or two fast food things a month for health reasons, but the soaring cost of curries, chippies and pizzas have pretty much knocked it on the head altogether. I don't think the price they're now charging is a justifiable outlay. Likewise, if I'm treating myself to some booze then I'll be own label bargain shopping.

And as for weekly shopping, as I do all of that and the cooking in the house, I've been staggered by the drop in quality as much as I have the ever increasing bill. Tescos and Morrisons are now on my banned list following food going off before sell-by dates - and the standard of veg is through the floor. I was ragging the Morrison's food hall manager about it the other week.

Knocking the takeaways on the head has been the biggest contributor to our keeping our head comfortably above water I reckon. What was an occasional treat was getting to be every week, usually at 30 quid plus a time, and now it's not even once a month.

Oh how I miss that feeling of anticipation quickly followed by crushing shame and regret

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Makes me wonder how take away places are going to survive. People are getting more health conscious and more money conscious at the same time. Your maccies and whatnot obviously but the just eat type Chinese you like to use, or your regular curry house, which was a fiver for a chow mein 2 months ago but is now 9.50, or 15 quid for your curry and rice 2 months ago but is now 25, all while people are looking to cut back. I don't see how they'll survive. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RobHawk said:

I recently bought an air fryer but am still on the fence with it tbh. Hasn't won me.over just yet

We've hardly used our oven since. Food comes out crisper, quicker and uses less energy. It's a win, win, win as far as I'm concerned. What don't you like about it?

• Like 1

Not necessarily related to most posts on here, but I’m lucky enough to have access to a discount code generator (through work). Loads of retailers on there offer 10-25% discounts on full price and some sale items. With Xmas approaching, if anyone wants a code for a certain store, give me a message and hopefully be able to save you a few quid :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 24/10/2022 at 05:58, Sly said:

Any good business, like a homeowner will look to budget and cut costs. The squeeze it’s assets (employees included) to get the most value from them.

Local Authorities seem terrible at doing this. 

My experience is that public schools are so much better at this, however are just majorly underfunded when you compare the output requirements with the budgets they are given to work with. People pedal the “they get the summer off” etc, which they need after the emotional rollercoaster of being a 2nd parent for most of the year. 

Yep, I've just been told o need to pay for essential training.

Well... its not essential if I have to pay for it, surely!!

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, RobHawk said:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/save-ps70-on-blyss-16l-dehumidifier-b-and-q-4024338

Managed to get this in a localised b&q. Seemed like a no brainer for the price and good reviews overall too

You did well, these are out of stock pretty much everywhere as far as I can tell

2 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

A pack of 48 Weetabix is £5.50 in Sainsburys.  Yet the own brand is £2.70 for the same thing.  Obscene.

Over here in Ontario  we pay the same for 48 weetabix. Maybe £5.75 but you can get it on sale for £4.25.  Although cant really compare uk to canadian prices. Things are definitely crazy overe here too it seems.

Buy margarine for say $6.99 on sale from $8.99. Normally  a sale would be around $4.99. Fruits and veg have gone up too.

Shop more at the discount stores and avoid as much food waste  as you can.

For those struggling (i really hope things get better soon). Indian food can be cheap depending on what you make.  Pick up some lentils, mung beans and make indian daals with them (youtube  it). Can get wholesome foods made on the cheap to feed the family. If you are feeling up for it try your hand at making roti or just cook up some basmati rice. Honestly, a bowl of daal with 2 or 3 roti will fill your gut on the cheap. Big bag of flour (10kg) will last decent amount.

We have been eating more indian food then normal at my house but i am.okay with it as thats what i mainly ate growing up. I refuse to pay stupid prices for things that have doubled or more. Nahhhh. Will have less of it for sure.

• Like 3

Did hear on the radio last week that food price inflation was running at 14.6% and rising.I still think this figure is blatantly wrong.Most items have gone up a fifth and some by a third over the last twelve months.£1.25 is the new quid.

It’s across the board.Last week it was the sweet’s and chocolate section.This time bread.Meat hasn’t gone up for a good couple of months so fully expect another substantial hike on that.

What gets me is the percentage rise of food stuffs and how fast certain stores did this whilst Aldi has been pretty good, do most of my shopping at Aldi or my local corner shop now.

No longer bother with Tesco, Morrisons, Iceland or Heron foods.

• Like 1

I wondering if it is just me, but with this cost of living crisis, bills going up all the time, always looking at ways to save money and other bits in the news at the moment or back end of the pandemic, but I’m finding life exhausting and I’m finding people are more demanding and more stressed. I’m finding people are wanting everything now, expecting everything done instantly when it isn’t possible and never has. People are less forgiving when things go wrong etc…. I read an article a few weeks ago saying that abuse to retail staff has increased after the pandemic. It’s making me hate my job. 

Anyone else finding this, or just me? 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

When it comes to the supply chain being screwed or various food companies taking the opportunity to take the piss and improve their bottom line, I would say that the current situation is a bit of both.

Skewed more towards various companies taking the piss I'd imagine. 

Can cast my mind back to the start of inflation going up, all being blamed on shipping costs. Oooh its costing us a gazillion more to ship things here. All over the media, world ending etc etc. Now shipping prices are almost to pre-pandemic levels and not a wiff of a mention anywhere by any of the businesses that were complaining back then. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

I wondering if it is just me, but with this cost of living crisis, bills going up all the time, always looking at ways to save money and other bits in the news at the moment or back end of the pandemic, but I’m finding life exhausting and I’m finding people are more demanding and more stressed. I’m finding people are wanting everything now, expecting everything done instantly when it isn’t possible and never has. People are less forgiving when things go wrong etc…. I read an article a few weeks ago saying that abuse to retail staff has increased after the pandemic. It’s making me hate my job. 

Anyone else finding this, or just me? 

I think that general worldwide stress levels as additional pressure is put on has gone up, and I think that has resulted in people becoming angrier and less forgiving. Which is the opposite of what is needed.

That's purely anecdotal, though.

5 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Skewed more towards various companies taking the piss I'd imagine. 

Can cast my mind back to the start of inflation going up, all being blamed on shipping costs. Oooh its costing us a gazillion more to ship things here. All over the media, world ending etc etc. Now shipping prices are almost to pre-pandemic levels and not a wiff of a mention anywhere by any of the businesses that were complaining back then. 

I'd hypothetically agree, it would make more sense, but I'd need to dig to be sure.