Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

15 hours ago, Flamey said:

Yep, they work very well imo. 👍 Like the air fryer I wouldn't be without one now.

Seconded for both the air fryer and the dehumidifier. I bought a Meaco one about 5 weeks ago and the difference it's made in drying my clothes inside the house is amazing. Used to have to wait about 3-4 days to take them off the airer, but they're dry in about 36 hours now. My one has the air purifier in the back as well. It also keeps the house warmer and then keeps the black mold at bay in the bathroom, definitely a great investment but I'm not sure how much electicity it uses, I read my one was about 5p an hour, and mine stays on about 20 hours a day, so abit pricey if it's left on 24/7, but worth it IMO.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

I might sound like a tight arse but I was genuinely shocked at the price of tomato ketchup last time I did the shopping (about 2/3 weeks ago). It was nearly £4 for Heinz and for some reason I got really mad. The own-label brand was less than a quid if I remember rightly as well. 

Surely the bigger brands with the amount they sell should have more power to reduce costs no? 

52 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

I might sound like a tight arse but I was genuinely shocked at the price of tomato ketchup last time I did the shopping (about 2/3 weeks ago). It was nearly £4 for Heinz and for some reason I got really mad. The own-label brand was less than a quid if I remember rightly as well. 

Surely the bigger brands with the amount they sell should have more power to reduce costs no? 

The news tells them that people are expecting costs to rise so they respond accordingly.

Vote with your feet.

5 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

4 pints of milk is now £1.65, up from £1.55 yesterday.  

It continues to creep up.  Roughly 40% more now than before these increases started.

And roughly 60% more than it was in the late 1970's.  I remember when milk went over 25p a pint.

It's fortunate that food prices have dropped so low over the past 50 years or so.  Food spending as a percentage of household income dropped from 33% in the 1950's to 8% in 2020 (can't find the source, it was a little while ago that I read it).  So if it rises to say 10% now, it's still a whole lot cheaper than it was.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

And roughly 60% more than it was in the late 1970's.  I remember when milk went over 25p a pint.

It's fortunate that food prices have dropped so low over the past 50 years or so.  Food spending as a percentage of household income dropped from 33% in the 1950's to 8% in 2020 (can't find the source, it was a little while ago that I read it).  So if it rises to say 10% now, it's still a whole lot cheaper than it was.

Cheaper yes but expectedly so. You are comparing a post war era to an era where massive technological advances have made food production cheaper in real terms, until now of course.

17 hours ago, kenny said:

The news tells them that people are expecting costs to rise so they respond accordingly.

Vote with your feet.

I feel like that's what half of the rises are, knowing people know prices are likely to rise so taking the opportunity to stick another X% on top of the X% that their costs are actually rising. These big companies and brands treat people like mugs and the worse thing is most people will just accept it. (I didn't, not paying £4 for feckin ketchup)

Had a Universal Credit appointment yesterday at 12 at Wellington Street.

Email and text to confirm time and location from Universal Credit.

I arrive at 12 at Wellington Street for my appointment.

The shutters are closed and the building is clearly empty.

So I go home.

By the time I'm home I get an email saying I've failed to attend my appointment which could lead to sanctions.

Functioning government.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, deejdeej said:

Are the smaller dehumidifiers worth getting? They're around £50-70 or is it worth going for the larger one? 

Depends how big your house is and how big the dehumidifier is. When I looked they said 12L is about right for a large flat or a small house, anything bigger and you want the 20L. My 12L gets full every 12 or so hours, and my house is a small 2 bed.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Depends how big your house is and how big the dehumidifier is. When I looked they said 12L is about right for a large flat or a small house, anything bigger and you want the 20L. My 12L gets full every 12 or so hours, and my house is a small 2 bed.

What make/model do you have mate?