Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

8 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

What make/model do you have mate?

https://www.meaco.com/products/meacodryarete1-12l

Out of stock on their official website though.

https://www.airconcentre.co.uk/products/meacodry-12l-arete-one-dehumidifier-white?variant=39949646004357&currency=GBP&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsdKbBhDHARIsANJ6-jfLaVKM2oSozwWps9Yeh2ghG-d-i2mg9P7_E0pvchw7_AvqJ4GzaOIaAoDWEALw_wcB

Was searching on the internet for a few days, was expensive but the reviews are good and also comes with an air filter/cleaner. I've always suffered from sore throats, probably get 6 a year, so thought I'd try this, as it does that as well as dries the house/clothes.

Got a humidity setting on it, you choose it, it goes below it it automatically shuts off. Got a laundry setting, use it, it goes full pelt for 6 hours whilst in the room with your laundry and dries them really fast.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Depends how big your house is and how big the dehumidifier is. When I looked they said 12L is about right for a large flat or a small house, anything bigger and you want the 20L. My 12L gets full every 12 or so hours, and my house is a small 2 bed.

12 litres a day sounds mental. How can there be that much water in the air?

24 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Ballycastle is £4.99 in Aldi and they have multiple flavours :D

My mother in law undercuts even them with a concoction of her own making. God knows what she puts in it but it tastes alright (admittedly only slightly like Baileys) and is rarely served in measures of less than half a pint, so I'm not complaining

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

12 litres a day sounds mental. How can there be that much water in the air?

It's deceptive, 12l is the size of the dihumidifier, not the tank. Tank is 2.5 litres, but that still gets full twice a day, so 5 a day, but there's only two of us in the house, imagine a larger house of 5. You don't realise how much is in the air until you buy one.

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, filbertway said:

2022 showing no mercy till the bitter end.

It's a poor example admittedly as others have pointed out you can get it cheaper, but it does seem that places are taking advantage. 

Seems stuff that was £2 last Christmas has just jumped to £3 for example and they'll just say "inflation" to explain a 50% prize jump. 

Diesel prices are still living in my head completely rent free. Can anyone explain why it's 30p a litre more expensive than petrol when it costs less to refine? Is it a scheme to ween people off it after telling everyone to buy diesel cars 10 years ago? Just another scam. 

7 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

It's deceptive, 12l is the size of the dihumidifier, not the tank. Tank is 2.5 litres, but that still gets full twice a day, so 5 a day, but there's only two of us in the house, imagine a larger house of 5. You don't realise how much is in the air until you buy one.

I've got a small one on the way from amazon, thought it would be enough for 2 of us in a 2 bed flat, at least targeted between the rooms that I assume need it the most. Sounds like it'll be a fart in a hurricane and I should have gone bigger.

Edited by ealingfox

Just now, Sol thewall Bamba said:

It's a poor example admittedly as others have pointed out you can get it cheaper, but it does seem that places are taking advantage. 

Seems stuff that was £2 last Christmas has just jumped to £3 for example and they'll just say "inflation" to explain a 50% prize jump. 

Diesel prices are still living in my head completely rent free. Can anyone explain why it's 30p a litre more expensive than petrol when it costs less to refine? Is it a scheme to ween people off it after telling everyone to buy diesel cars 10 years ago? Just another scam. 

Haha I was only joking, it just made me laugh as it was such an English thing to point out lol

Speaking of... has anyone kept an eye on the price of a Freddo? That's been the national method of judging inflation for at least 20 years.

31 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Whilst we are on the topic of dehumidifiers... The video on the second tweet of this thread - honestly this is one of the most shocking things I have ever seen. How are we at this point? 

Another sickening thing to add to the list. 

It's exhausting just coming to terms with how shit everything is at the minute.

I'd quite like to just go and smash the living **** out of the houses of parliament but I'd have to pay for it so pretty pointless.   

14 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

£4 in Morrisons.

Although, they are still charging £4.99 for a pizza that was £2.65 a few months ago.

I think the 4 quid one is the squat plastic tub? The ten quid one is a bigger tin.

From what I've seen, the plastic tubs are generally AT LEAST as cheap as recent years and are being displayed even more prominently than usual. LOOK AT THIS, EVERYTHING'S FINE!!!

In other news, living in a household where A LOT of Heinz Tomato ketchup is consumed, are there any decent cheaper alternatives? It's about the only Heinz branded thing we have

3 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I think the 4 quid one is the squat plastic tub? The ten quid one is a bigger tin.

From what I've seen, the plastic tubs are generally AT LEAST as cheap as recent years and are being displayed even more prominently than usual. LOOK AT THIS, EVERYTHING'S FINE!!!

In other news, living in a household where A LOT of Heinz Tomato ketchup is consumed, are there any decent cheaper alternatives? It's about the only Heinz branded thing we have

Yes, they were the plastic one's. Only noticed as it had been mentioned on here.

We've been having Sainsbury's ketchup for years. No expert and don't consume much, but we find it fine. Buy some own brand, put it in the Heinz bottle.

1 minute ago, FoyleFox said:

Yes, they were the plastic one's. Only noticed as it had been mentioned on here.

We've been having Sainsbury's ketchup for years. No expert and don't consume much, but we find it fine. Buy some own brand, put it in the Heinz bottle.

That's a level of deceit I can buy into.

Years ago my mate discovered his missus was putting bog standard Asda cheese into a Cathedral City wrapper. I don't know how long it took him to notice but full marks to her

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Me and the missus bought the 40 odd pence asda "poor people like yellow" brand one and it's fine. The fact it's been sold out for weeks shows it was okay imo. Heinz just taking the piss with their prices and they know it. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

That's a level of deceit I can buy into.

Years ago my mate discovered his missus was putting bog standard Asda cheese into a Cathedral City wrapper. I don't know how long it took him to notice but full marks to her

In the early years of our relationship, the other half didn't approve of my own brand purchasing. I used to have a tin of Heinz beans, jar of Nescafe etc at the front of a cupboard. What we actually ate, were all the tins and jars of own brand, from a different cupboard :D

2 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

We've been putting Lidl ketchup into a Heinz bottle for years because the daughter drinks the stuff by the pint.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

In the early years of our relationship, the other half didn't approve of my own brand purchasing. I used to have a tin of Heinz beans, jar of Nescafe etc at the front of a cupboard. What we actually ate, were all the tins and jars of own brand, from a different cupboard :D

Did you stop because you were found out or you decided you liked them enough not to be able to live with the lie? :D

35 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Did you stop because you were found out or you decided you liked them enough not to be able to live with the lie? :D

As I recall there was a joint shopping trip for a holiday. There was a discussion on branded v own brand and confessions were made 😂

A more open minded approach has been taken since. Some things aren't as good, and no one wants to be eating anything awful but it's always worth trying different makes. 

5 hours ago, filbertway said:

Haha I was only joking, it just made me laugh as it was such an English thing to point out lol

Speaking of... has anyone kept an eye on the price of a Freddo? That's been the national method of judging inflation for at least 20 years.

I saw a standard wham bar is up to 58p

23 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

As I recall there was a joint shopping trip for a holiday. There was a discussion on branded v own brand and confessions were made 😂

A more open minded approach has been taken since. Some things aren't as good, and no one wants to be eating anything awful but it's always worth trying different makes. 

In the spirit of this I've just bought a massive bottle of Sainsburys own ketchup. Third of the price of Heinz.

Surely that'll be alright? The Morrisons I'm Properly On My Arse version I tried a few years ago wasn't amazing but it was 19p if I remember rightly 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

In the spirit of this I've just bought a massive bottle of Sainsburys own ketchup. Third of the price of Heinz.

Surely that'll be alright? The Morrisons I'm Properly On My Arse version I tried a few years ago wasn't amazing but it was 19p if I remember rightly 

Are you putting it in the Heinz bottle? That's the big question of the day.

• Haha 1