Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

7 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

• 5 million people will be unable to afford their energy bill when prices rise in April.

• 14.5 million will be unable to afford their energy bills from October.

Aren't they just horrendous numbers of people. 

Recession is guaranteed now, there is no avoiding it. 

layer on the NI increase and cost of Food and Fuel, it's going to be a grim 18 months. 

The NI increase must surely be scrapped? And the proposed taking of 5p or so of fuel duty off will do piss all aswell. 

Those at the bottom won’t be able to afford it, those in the middle will probably take the burden of the rest and those at the top will hardly notice. 

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The NI increase must surely be scrapped? And the proposed taking of 5p or so of fuel duty off will do piss all aswell. 

Those at the bottom won’t be able to afford it, those in the middle will probably take the burden of the rest and those at the top will hardly notice. 

The 5p off fuel is a classic distraction ruse. The NI increase hurts everyone far more and the poorer parts of society the most. 5p off is just red meat to the Mail, Sun et al and to keep RS high in the popularity stakes

Edited by blabyboy
Auto correct

11 minutes ago, blabyboy said:

The 5p off fuel is a classic distraction ruse. The NI increase hurts everyone far more and the poorer parts of society the most. 5p off is just red meat to the Mail, Sun et al and to keep RS high in the popularity stakes

We need to scrap VAT off all energy and build a real plan to get us off the tap.

Listening to divs bang on about green energy subsidies as if they are the problem, is vexing.

Green energy is the way out of the crisis, it can be produced here, not a Russian in sight.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Strokes said:

We need to scrap VAT off all energy and build a real plan to get us off the tap.

Listening to divs bang on about green energy subsidies as if they are the problem, is vexing.

Green energy is the way out of the crisis, it can be produced here, not a Russian in sight.

Not only can it be produced here, it can be produced everywhere, given sufficient will.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Not only can it be produced here, it can be produced everywhere, given sufficient will.

We seem to be limited to wind and solar which isn't the solution.

The government need to be looking at nuclear, tidal and geothermal power. We can't be relying on Russia or the weather forecast for our power.

2 hours ago, kenny said:

We seem to be limited to wind and solar which isn't the solution.

The government need to be looking at nuclear, tidal and geothermal power. We can't be relying on Russia or the weather forecast for our power.

A mixture of Gen III/IV fission, wind, solar, tidal and geothermal is the best path to take.

And one day we *will* make fusion work.

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

A mixture of Gen III/IV fission, wind, solar, tidal and geothermal is the best path to take.

And one day we *will* make fusion work.

The biggest effort should be going into large battery storage so when the wind blows or the sun shines we can store surplus energy. 

Tidal has a lot of problems around silting up - it's a major factor in the tidal generation schemes which hasn't been solved yet.

I know you always mention fission, but we've only just had a test that can handle 60 boiling kettles and the French implementation won't be onstream until 2024 at earliest. It's right that we should research it, but it feels like it won't be cracked and with many working examples in my lifetime sadly.

12 minutes ago, blabyboy said:

The biggest effort should be going into large battery storage so when the wind blows or the sun shines we can store surplus energy. 

Tidal has a lot of problems around silting up - it's a major factor in the tidal generation schemes which hasn't been solved yet.

I know you always mention fission, but we've only just had a test that can handle 60 boiling kettles and the French implementation won't be onstream until 2024 at earliest. It's right that we should research it, but it feels like it won't be cracked and with many working examples in my lifetime sadly.

We don't need batterys for electricity storage in the UK. 

1 hour ago, blabyboy said:

I would agree with the first part here, though I think the more variation the better.

WRT fusion, I go on about it so much because it is so much of a game changer. If we're really going to advance a great deal as a civilisation (as we need to), it's a key part of the picture.

28 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Blows my mind that we're in a major cost of living crisis where costs are escalating way faster than our wages and there's people still taking pot shots at unions and collective bargaining. 

But if Jeremy Corbyn had got in he would have had Red Robbo's corpse exhumed and reanimated something something Venezuela something three day week something lights would soon go out etc

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Blows my mind that we're in a major cost of living crisis where costs are escalating way faster than our wages and there's people still taking pot shots at unions and collective bargaining. 

So some things do have a period or timetable of validity for scrutiny? Do you have a link to the schedule?  

1 minute ago, Lako42 said:

Biked to work this morning, was bloody excellent. 

Raised a big smile as I cruised past the petrol station sign. 

Also as I breezed past the standstill traffic on the way into Loughborough. 

Joke's on you the duty on bike tyre air is about to be trebled.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

I'm glad he has cut the VAT on solar panels, heat pumps and wind turbines :rolleyes: will save us all millions! 

whole thing is a joke....

5p a litre when its gone up 60p a litre in the past 18 months... 

If he has done that then it's not a bad thing at all.

Buying and using such solutions has got to be incentivised pronto or things are going to happen that will make people long for the present times, hard as they are.

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

If he has done that then it's not a bad thing at all.

Buying and using such solutions has got to be incentivised pronto or things are going to happen that will make people long for the present times, hard as they are.

He needs to be paying people to install them, not charging them a bit less. 

Heat pumps in particular should be looked at as a possible widespread source of heating. 

• Like 2