Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

9 minutes ago, Sly said:

Brexit only plays a small part in this. 

I suppose the question is, would 50% vote for Brexit today? I’ve no idea either way. 

I don't think they would, no. 

I think there would be a far higher number of Brexit voters who would now vote remain than those who would swing the other way.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I think there would be a far higher number of Brexit voters who would now vote remain than those who would swing the other way.

Plenty of people who didn't bother would actually vote this time you'd like to think 

9 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Plenty of people who didn't bother would actually vote this time you'd like to think 

39 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I’ll do a poll. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Not surprised train companies running at a loss, caught the train to Birmingham and back over Christmas - no one at the Hinckley ticket ofice, and barriers open both ways at New St. I'm not arsed as saved me money but the rail network in this country is a shambles and open to abuse. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Not surprised train companies running at a loss, caught the train to Birmingham and back over Christmas - no one at the Hinckley ticket ofice, and barriers open both ways at New St. I'm not arsed as saved me money but the rail network in this country is a shambles and open to abuse. 

It's great, more automation means more free stuff.

12 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Although petrol prices have decreased, but the disparity between the same suppliers in the same area is frustrating.

Morrisons Coalville - £1.55 Morrisons Loughborough - £1.49

Loughborough a bit further north, cheaper ;)

18 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Although petrol prices have decreased, but the disparity between the same suppliers in the same area is frustrating.

We were in North Wales between Xmas and new year.

in Porthmadog, PetrolPrices was 139.9 and diesel was 159.9.

Came home, and paying 176.9 for diesel. How and why?

5 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

They're also playing games in the stores.

For example, Sainsburys have now Aldi price matched their soup and it has dropped in price by almost 17% since last week.  

In the week's leading up to Christmas many prices have risen by 20-25% on some items.  For instance Sainsbury's priced their butter at £2.50 instead of the usual £1.99 but then claimed it had reduced to £2.00, but it was never £2.50 in the first place.  Total joke.  They think people won't notice.

5 hours ago, Big Dave said:

We were in North Wales between Xmas and new year.

in Porthmadog, PetrolPrices was 139.9 and diesel was 159.9.

Came home, and paying 176.9 for diesel. How and why?

I thought it was all down to the stations owner?When the price of fuel sky rocketed to 175ish back in Feb/March a bunch of the Texaco,Jet type franchise stations round my way tried their luck at 1.95 for diesel.It didn’t last long and they all came down.Only for them to try for over 2.00 when the prices went up again in the summer.

Motor fuel doesn’t make the garages anywhere near as much as is assumed.So Owners will push their luck when they can.

19 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

I thought it was all down to the stations owner?When the price of fuel sky rocketed to 175ish back in Feb/March a bunch of the Texaco,Jet type franchise stations round my way tried their luck at 1.95 for diesel.It didn’t last long and they all came down.Only for them to try for over 2.00 when the prices went up again in the summer.

Motor fuel doesn’t make the garages anywhere near as much as is assumed.So Owners will push their luck when they can.

Local competition has a great deal to do with it. In my small West Country town Tesco is the only fuel station - there were once three. So they constantly try their luck and charge top dollar. There is an unceasing series of threads on the local Facebook Community page and Tesco have made themselves about as unpopular as Tories in Barnsley. I have been savvy with checking prices on fuel apps when I go anywhere. I haven't once gone out of my way to drive to the next town just to get fuel yet I haven't bought any fuel from Tesco for at least six months. I suspect that if Morrisons in Wells or Asda in Frome charge up to 10p a litre less for diesel and most people in the town know this, it also has an impact on footfall in Tesco's store because many people will do a shop at the same time as they fill up on fuel.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Fox Covert said:

Local competition has a great deal to do with it. In my small West Country town Tesco is the only fuel station - there were once three. So they constantly try their luck and charge top dollar. There is an unceasing series of threads on the local Facebook Community page and Tesco have made themselves about as unpopular as Tories in Barnsley. I have been savvy with checking prices on fuel apps when I go anywhere. I haven't once gone out of my way to drive to the next town just to get fuel yet I haven't bought any fuel from Tesco for at least six months. I suspect that if Morrisons in Wells or Asda in Frome charge up to 10p a litre less for diesel and most people in the town know this, it also has an impact on footfall in Tesco's store because many people will do a shop at the same time as they fill up on fuel.

I always thought that super markets sold their juice at significantly lower prices because they got the dregs :D So I always stayed clear.It really was an urban myth.They used it as a loss leader.Then with trends keeping footfall down they crept the prices up.Now of course they have to entice us back in.

Just renewed my Virgin Media.

Was currently on 500 meg (think it might have been upgraded to 600 during the 18 month contract), multiroom, every channel including HD Sky Sports BT Sports etc. Unlimited landline calls (I don't use a house phone) and an unlimited everything mobile sim, was paying £89 a month.

After getting two deals off someone, she then put me through, offered me another deal, was still too high said nah cancel, she came back and offered everything the same as before (other than weekend landline calls which is irrelevant to me), upgraded 1 gig internet and free Netflix for 18 months, for £85, I accepted the offer. She also said you get some reward which was like free Disney+ for 3 months or something but I've gotta pick which one so I'll look at that later.

£4 saved, better internet, free Netflix for 18 months, result.