Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

On 19/01/2023 at 04:35, leicsmac said:

I can see this argument, but speaking personally if they were singularly interested in this then they would be there already. Or at the very least, a mission would be about ready to start now.

The total cost of the programs that got the US from nothing to the Moon inside a decade fifty years ago cost about 250 billon dollars in today's money. Compared to that, SpaceX and Blue Origin are behind on both spending and timeline - and judging by the wealth of both companies and their personal backers I would say that such spending would be (likely) possible for them, if they chose to.

Most Billionaires will eventually give away their assets (it isn't money in the bank here, almost all company shares and property assets) because what else can they do with it?  In days gone by billionaires would set up foundations to spend their money over a long period to try to cement their legacy, but nowadays they are set on spending a huge amount in a short period to try to move the needle on significant scientific endeavors in the short term.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Most Billionaires will eventually give away their assets (it isn't money in the bank here, almost all company shares and property assets) because what else can they do with it?  In days gone by billionaires would set up foundations to spend their money over a long period to try to cement their legacy, but nowadays they are set on spending a huge amount in a short period to try to move the needle on significant scientific endeavors in the short term.

I'll believe this is a useful endeavour when such private companies match what governments did over fifty years ago and actually get a human being beyond Earth orbit.

I trust billionaires to know where best to spend money.

Imagine if only they were just adequately taxed, that would save them having to do all that work thinking about how to create new scientific areas to work in, instead we as a people could decide how best their $$ could be spent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

I trust billionaires to know where best to spend money.

Imagine if only they were just adequately taxed, that would save them having to do all that work thinking about how to create new scientific areas to work in, instead we as a people could decide how best their $$ could be spent.

I’m not suggesting it’s a good thing they are so rich, but as they already are it’s probably a good thing they’re trying to achieve something with their wealth.

2 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I’m not suggesting it’s a good thing they are so rich, but as they already are it’s probably a good thing they’re trying to achieve something with their wealth.

they could achieve that by paying more tax

• Like 1

Food firms raising prices unnecessarily, Tesco's John Allan says https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64364744

https://news.sky.com/story/pet-food-retailer-zooplus-hits-out-at-royal-canins-excessive-price-increases-and-offers-customers-10-off-its-competitors-12792666

I strongly suspect that some producers have been excessively inflating their prices under the cloak of increased inflation. If so that is pretty reprehensible 

6 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Food firms raising prices unnecessarily, Tesco's John Allan says https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64364744

https://news.sky.com/story/pet-food-retailer-zooplus-hits-out-at-royal-canins-excessive-price-increases-and-offers-customers-10-off-its-competitors-12792666

I strongly suspect that some producers have been excessively inflating their prices under the cloak of increased inflation. If so that is pretty reprehensible 

I'm sure I've read that a lot of branded stuff has gone up more than anything else.

Weren't Tesco having a run in with Heinz a while back? I know that their tomato ketchup has gone up loads.

Fortunately for me, my kids have decided that Sainsbury's own is fine 

Just now, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'm sure I've read that a lot of branded stuff has gone up more than anything else.

Weren't Tesco having a run in with Heinz a while back? I know that their tomato ketchup has gone up loads.

Fortunately for me, my kids have decided that Sainsbury's own is fine 

Yes, Tesco stopped stocking some of the Heinz products. Not sure how it played out . Good for you with your kids. No need to tip supermarket own into the previously consumed branded packaging then 

11 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

As I mentioned on here a few weeks ago, the increase in price of a tin of soup is outrageous.  The supermarket own branded stuff wasn't much better either but now everything appears to be "Aldi price matched" so has reduced once again, but not to the level it was before the increases.

The latest price hike, which is way above inflation, appears to be on a block of cheese.  Sainsbury's own has increased by almost 50%.

Edited by Legend_in_blue

Just now, Legend_in_blue said:

As I mentioned on here a few weeks ago, the increase in price of a tin of soup is outrageous.  The supermarket own branded stuff wasn't much better either but now everything appears to be "Aldi price matched" so has reduced once again, but not to the level it was before the increases.

I understand the need for increases but some stuff has gone up by 25% and more in no time at all 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I understand the need for increases but some stuff has gone up by 25% and more in no time at all 

Also, I cannot remember which supermarket I was in, but the cereal aisle was just full of Kelloggs.  Hardly anything else at all.  Just Kelloggs.  Is it me or have the cereal boxes shrunk in size?  Prices may have remained "frozen" on cereal but the boxes and contents seem to be smaller.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

My energy bills are so low it’s mental. Checked the other day and they aren’t charging me for gas! I don’t know whether just to leave it and hope for the best or give a meter reading. 

Maybe put the cash aside for it. 

They’re robbing barstools and are making a small fortune anyway. 

2 hours ago, Unabomber said:

My energy bills are so low it’s mental. Checked the other day and they aren’t charging me for gas! I don’t know whether just to leave it and hope for the best or give a meter reading. 

Have you been submitting any meter readings, or are they estimating your bills?  If they haven't got an up to date read they'll just estimate and then bill you correctly when they get one

Just now, FoxesDeb said:

Have you been submitting any meter readings, or are they estimating your bills?  If they haven't got an up to date read they'll just estimate and then bill you correctly when they get one

I have a smart meter but seems it’s not been going through 

5 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I have a smart meter but seems it’s not been going through 

Yeah I think that's pretty common unfortunately. Best to give them meter readings so you can get a proper bill now rather than later, otherwise it will just build up, if their estimation is vastly different from what you're using that is

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Pack of 10 birds eye burgers (the crap ones that shrink to half their size when cooked) £6. 

Outrageous price!

6 hours ago, Unabomber said:

put the money aside but dont tell them... sick of doing corporations job for them, let them charge you when they figure it out and the tell them its their error and youll have to pay back at a reduced lonnng term payment plan

• Like 1