Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

Heinz soup is a good example. £1.70 sat next on the shelf to Crosse & Blackwell for £1.00. Don't buy it, isn't that how market forces are supposed to work? I can't stand Heinz anyway, overpriced rubbish. 

Just before Christmas our local Sainsburys petrol priced matched against the nearest other petrol station which was on the M5! And people were still queuing up to buy it, ffs. Following complaints they saw sence and overnight dropped the price by 12p a litre! Robbing bastards. 

• Like 2

Our local air display team has folded, citing the poor economic climate. It’ll be the first year they’re not practising over the house every Thursday. Noticed a distinct drop off in the volume of executive helicopters flying by too.

On 11/03/2022 at 12:27, Leicester_Loyal said:

Correct, but these things are usually so badly mismanaged that it costs us hundreds of millions or billions, and then we end up going full circle and making it a privately owned company again. There's zero accountability so people usually get a free pass.

On 11/03/2022 at 12:50, enmac said:

I read Private Eye regularly. In nearly every issue, the amount of mismanagement and government subsidy(our money) the privatised rail companies, previously the nationalised British Rail, is discussed. Talk about mismanagement. 

Compare this with France's state owned Railway. They are clearly doing better. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_in_France

L_l - that's just unproven Tory mantra you're spouting.  Just take the railways as an example - are any of the private companies row involved running them successfully?  Ad as for the energy companies  and Internet suppliers .....   Competition between private companies just delivers a mess.

Edited by deep blue
  • Thanks 1

Personally I think competition benefiting the consumer in these situations only works when there is competition, eg. when there are alternative suppliers of the same service in the same place. If you don't have that, and certain companies have sole control of the use of particular infrastructure and a particular time and place, then all you get is a cartel.

As such, I've never understood how offering such "monopolies" up for bid is in any way good for the consumer.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, deep blue said:

L_l - that's just unproven Tory mantra you're spouting.  Just take the railways as an example - are any of the private companies row involved running them successfully?  Ad as for the energy companies  and Internet suppliers .....   Competition between private companies just delivers a mess.

I agree with what was originally said, some things should be ran for a service and not for profit, I just think there should be some accountability, there's usually zero.

Using the railways as an example again, are the publicly owned parts any better than the privately owned ones? They're all a mess and publicly owned ones are being stripped back to the bare bones.

On 23/01/2023 at 16:10, Spudulike said:

Heinz soup is a good example. £1.70 sat next on the shelf to Crosse & Blackwell for £1.00. Don't buy it, isn't that how market forces are supposed to work? I can't stand Heinz anyway, overpriced rubbish. 

Just before Christmas our local Sainsburys petrol priced matched against the nearest other petrol station which was on the M5! And people were still queuing up to buy it, ffs. Following complaints they saw sence and overnight dropped the price by 12p a litre! Robbing bastards. 

It's many obscure items that tend to have increased massively also.  I'm looking at mango chutney to go with my indian meal and Sharwoods is £3.39 a jar.  £3.39!!!  lol  Sainsburys own is £1.40.

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

It's many obscure items that tend to have increased massively also.  I'm looking at mango chutney to go with my indian meal and Sharwoods is £3.39 a jar.  £3.39!!!  lol  Sainsburys own is £1.40.

Sounds similar to the Brexit effect over here, and I wondered if it actually was to do with import duties until I Googled and found Sharwoods is manufactured in Notts lol

28 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Sounds similar to the Brexit effect over here, and I wondered if it actually was to do with import duties until I Googled and found Sharwoods is manufactured in Notts lol

Am in cork this week and the food prices are crippling. Looking forward to going shopping at home as it's twice the price over here!

12 minutes ago, kenny said:

Am in cork this week and the food prices are crippling. Looking forward to going shopping at home as it's twice the price over here!

Wow I didn't realise Ireland was so expensive! Thankfully over here it's only the Brits who still insist on buying British imports from Iceland who are suffering from the increase in prices lol

26 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Wow I didn't realise Ireland was so expensive! Thankfully over here it's only the Brits who still insist on buying British imports from Iceland who are suffering from the increase in prices lol

Everything is more expensive here. They don't seem to mind though!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, deep blue said:

I agree. 

On 22/01/2023 at 22:22, RobHawk said:

Pack of 10 birds eye burgers (the crap ones that shrink to half their size when cooked) £6. 

Outrageous price!

Ok so I was shopping again and I had to look at this again, and in a bit more detail. 

In the freezer of my local Asda those shitty birds eye burgers were the most expensive burgers available on a £/kg point of view. 

The Aberdeen Angus steak burgers were cheaper FFS. 

If that's not birds eye completely taking the piss I don't know what is. 

And for the record I didn't buy them. Only get them occasionally for the kids. Just could not believe the price.

2 hours ago, kenny said:

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Food prices in ROI have always been more expensive than the UK. Fuel prices, particularly diesel were a lot lower. 

As we lived in NI but right on the border with ROI, the NI supermarkets were full of ROI registered cars doing the food shop and the ROI garages full of NI registered cars getting fuel. 

All pre brexit of course. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Food prices in ROI have always been more expensive than the UK. Fuel prices, particularly diesel were a lot lower. 

As we lived in NI but right on the border with ROI, the NI supermarkets were full of ROI registered cars doing the food shop and the ROI garages full of NI registered cars getting fuel. 

All pre brexit of course. 

Fuel is roughly the same as Leicester at around £1.50 a litre.

The people I'm talking to are all moaning about 'the greens'. Sounds like cars are getting hammered for tax.

In my mind, a tin of soup is 50p.

Vote for me and I guarantee 50p soup for all.

I will also address the price of Freddos, fish and chips, and other essentials such as 2 litre bottles of Diamond White superstrength cider.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, kenny said:

Fuel is roughly the same as Leicester at around £1.50 a litre.

The people I'm talking to are all moaning about 'the greens'. Sounds like cars are getting hammered for tax.

It's been a similar price for a while. But a few years ago, the time I referred to, the fuel would've been a good 25% less. Which is why we all went over the border for it. Sunday afternoons were chaos at the garages along the Derry/Donegal border lol

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

It's been a similar price for a while. But a few years ago, the time I referred to, the fuel would've been a good 25% less. Which is why we all went over the border for it. Sunday afternoons were chaos at the garages along the Derry/Donegal border lol

NI is really cheap I've found. Must have been hard to leave, I wouldnt mind moving there one day!

2 minutes ago, kenny said:

NI is really cheap I've found. Must have been hard to leave, I wouldnt mind moving there one day!

We were quite shocked at the cost of services on our return to England, even before the crisis put costs up even further.

Costs in and around Belfast wouldn't be as low, but up in the NW, they certainly were.

I miss the scenery and tranquillity. I do not miss the weather. Anyone who thinks the weather in England is crap, have a few years in Ireland!

4 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Pringles are the worst offenders in this category. Heinously expensive.

Pringles aren’t crisps. Compressed dust and single cell organisms does not constitute crisps. This is my hill I’ll die on.

9 hours ago, Daggers said:

In my mind, a tin of soup is 50p.

Vote for me and I guarantee 50p soup for all.

I will also address the price of Freddos, fish and chips, and other essentials such as 2 litre bottles of Diamond White superstrength cider.

I'd not been to my local chippy for about 5 years, in my head a bag of chips was still about £1.20. Went in a few weeks ago, laughed and just walked out. It was about £4 for a medium bag of chips, and the price of the fish, well I can only conclude said fish was coated in gold and diamonds.