Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

2 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Very lucky - we need skilled factory floor workers, machine operatives, welders etc....

Ah.

I suspect with the way society considers that type of work you will be struggling from here.

I work on a lot of sites where the average age of staff is going up all the time and young people don't want  that type of career/trade.

57 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Switched energy supplier from the corporate greed monger that is shell today 

i would love to move from them, but they have basically ballsed up my billing for about a year! They hit me with a £700 estimated bill last month! 

So as soon as i can sort the useless robbing cvnts out i will be leaving them too! 

7 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

They've just put my DDM up 90 quid from £200. Where are you going, out of interest?

I'm going to Octopus and then moving straight onto their tracker rate that charges the actual cost of energy rather than some made up, inflated load of old bollocks 

20 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Wages?...Conditions?

Even offering competitive pay and excellent working conditions I just think there is a skill shortage in this country for certain types of work, Brexit being a massive own goal in that respect 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Even offering competitive pay and excellent working conditions I just think there is a skill shortage in this country for certain types of work, Brexit being a massive own goal in that respect 

That's a shame. It's really a necessity to have those with both academic and practical skills in the workforce rather than relying too much on one or the other.

11 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Hate Remoaning but rightly or wrongly Eastern european workers filled the jobs no one else wants to us . They were happy and we were happy, win win then but sadly thats long gone thanks to Brexit.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Hate Remoaning but rightly or wrongly Eastern european workers filled the jobs no one else wants to us . They were happy and we were happy, win win then but sadly thats long gone thanks to Brexit.

First generation ones are. Second generation ones want to go to university for 'better career propects'.

We are starting to run out of countries to supply cheap low-skilled labour.

Only robotics and AI will be a solution for industries like this.

5 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

They've just put my DDM up 90 quid from £200. Where are you going, out of interest?

Eon put mine up from 83 to 236 in nov. Add in the 60 quid from the government over those months and I'm currently £720 plus in credit now in just 3 payments. Wonder how much they are making from doing this to millions of customers. Now the fight to get my money back starts. 

• Like 1

Yeah I'm an in-house recruiter too.  Base salary isn't EVERYTHING, but if you don't have any additional upside like bigger bonuses and large pensions, it's going to be the driving force.  

Paying "market rate" will just leave you scrabbling for the same resource as everyone else. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lako42 said:

I'm going to Octopus and then moving straight onto their tracker rate that charges the actual cost of energy rather than some made up, inflated load of old bollocks 

I've just put my details (not very accurately, as getting the usage data off the Shell website is a massive pain in the arse) into a comparison site and everything that has come up is exactly the same price that I'm already paying.

Great days

Edit: actually says this on the comparison website: "Please be mindful that right now is not the best time to switch due to the unprecedented increase in wholesale energy costs. Feel free to do a comparison but if you're looking to cut bills now, that's unlikely to happen and you would be better off sticking with a default price-capped tariff."

Edited by Bellend Sebastian

14 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I've just put my details (not very accurately, as getting the usage data off the Shell website is a massive pain in the arse) into a comparison site and everything that has come up is exactly the same price that I'm already paying.

Great days

They won't show the octopus tracker tarrif on there. 

9 hours ago, kenny said:

First generation ones are. Second generation ones want to go to university for 'better career propects'.

We are starting to run out of countries to supply cheap low-skilled labour.

Only robotics and AI will be a solution for industries like this.

I find it fascinating. I genuinely think the western world is fcked.

Right now, we could still easily pull in cheap labour from, say, the phillipines or South Asia, Brazil or Africa (the exact sort of racial profile most Brexit nutters can't stand)  But they ain't stupid. People the world over have phones and YouTube and Social Media. Nobody is a mug punter anymore. Everybody will kick on and second gen will basically be on a level. 

I think there will be a great reset inside 40 years and a levelling down (as opposed to level up,)....standard of living in Jakarta and Mumbai and San Paolo won't be that different to Berlin or Liverpool or Detroit 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

I find it fascinating. I genuinely think the western world is fcked.

Right now, we could still easily pull in cheap labour from, say, the phillipines or South Asia, Brazil or Africa (the exact sort of racial profile most Brexit nutters can't stand)  But they ain't stupid. People the world over have phones and YouTube and Social Media. Nobody is a mug punter anymore. Everybody will kick on and second gen will basically be on a level. 

I think there will be a great reset inside 40 years and a levelling down (as opposed to level up,)....standard of living in Jakarta and Mumbai and San Paolo won't be that different to Berlin or Liverpool or Detroit 

That process started two decades ago

• Like 1