Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

4 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

apologies, it was meant to be a somewhat humourous/sarcastic... "what a surprise"... pay good money and people will work for you

There are many organisations that pay above market rate and still can't get people to work for them.

Most of them are on strike at the moment.

28 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

hmmm why on earth would they be on strike? :shinji:

Because they get paid enough and fancy a day off?

No idea to be honest, the messaging has been confusing. All I know is that a 10% pay rise resolves any issues they have with their jobs.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Ill explain... there is only one thing that the working class can control and that is their labour, the ruling class and the rich can take advantage of them for so long and then the withdrawal of labour is the only power they have.

I'll have to grow my own children to sweep my many chimneys with that sort of attitude.

Nice email from my Energy provider this morning saying they are increasing my Direct Debit again.. wonderful timing as Centrica also announced their profits have tripled to £3.3billion 

The working class getting shafted whilst their shareholders are raking it in, what a world.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

Nice email from my Energy provider this morning saying they are increasing my Direct Debit again.. wonderful timing as Centrica also announced their profits have tripled to £3.3billion 

The working class getting shafted whilst their shareholders are raking it in, what a world.

Give them a call and tell them what a reasonable increase will be - they'll set it at that amount. 

The last time my review occurred, they increased my DD by nearly £300 (yeah, madness). I gave them a call and said, I'll pay this much a month and if there is a difference, I will make it up on the day of the bill. The last three months have been the coldest and I have had the heating on constantly - not one month has got close to their initial DD estimate. 

On 31/01/2023 at 16:20, lcfc278 said:

Stay strong! I bet within the next week or so you get an email or call from them offering close to what you paid for your first year. Knowing companies like that any money is better than no money.

Well after my tried and tested method of pleading poverty via live chat failed miserably, this is EXACTLY what happened.

It's still more expensive than starting afresh but the cost to hassle saving ratio is now at as level I can cope with

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Su Braverman claiming above 2k for her second home energy allowance.

The energy crisis is entirely manufactured to generate profits. Why aren't people angrier about this.

is it because "we are all in this together"??

I genuinely do think people are really angry about this. But Protesting is not the british way.  I'm "relatively" confident that we will do it ever so politely at the local and then general elections....   Or I do bloody hope we will! 

I'm seeing a really large rise in petty theft and crime where I live...  Someone was taking their child inside from the car last week and had their weekly food shop stolen out of their boot as they did it...  things like that show me how desperate some people are and really not surviving.   

9 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

is it because "we are all in this together"??

I genuinely do think people are really angry about this. But Protesting is not the british way.  I'm "relatively" confident that we will do it ever so politely at the local and then general elections....   Or I do bloody hope we will! 

I'm seeing a really large rise in petty theft and crime where I live...  Someone was taking their child inside from the car last week and had their weekly food shop stolen out of their boot as they did it...  things like that show me how desperate some people are and really not surviving.   

I work in retail and instances of theft are up 600% compared to the start of last year already. 

It's probably only going to get worse too. 

• Like 2

Just received a free £200 ‘alternative fuel credit’ on my latest electric bill.

Had no idea I was eligible but think it might be because we’ve no gas in the village.

A nice unexpected bonus. Cheers Rishi :thumbup:

On 11/02/2023 at 19:43, ozleicester said:

apologies, it was meant to be a somewhat humourous/sarcastic... "what a surprise"... pay good money and people will work for you

Which works fine as long as you can sell your products and services at the price which makes this worthwhile, and don't lose all your sales to competition in China.

43 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Which works fine as long as you can sell your products and services at the price which makes this worthwhile, and don't lose all your sales to competition in China.

Australia's banks made $33billion this year.
Shell made $57billion
BP made $40billion
Santos made $3.1billion
Woolworths made $907million
Coles made $643million
Qantas made $1.4billion in just the last 6 months.

But we need interest rate increases and real wage cuts
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ozleicester said:
Australia's banks made $33billion this year.
Shell made $57billion
BP made $40billion
Santos made $3.1billion
Woolworths made $907million
Coles made $643million
Qantas made $1.4billion in just the last 6 months.

But we need interest rate increases and real wage cuts

None of this makes any difference to the guy running an SME who can't get staff.  Except his other costs have all gone up to.  The point is, in a globalised world nothing stands alone.