Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

Keeping it on for next week's cold snap but then it's going off. Still about £100 a month in gas and I consider myself fairly lucky to be in credit, still. 

Complete aside - thing on BBC today of some DJ keeping a diary of his spending. There's at least 3 instances where he spends £10 for lunch. Yes, he's in London but he works from home. 

I don't think I spent £10 on all my lunches this week. Mine is usually egg sandwich or leftovers.  Some people live in different worlds. 

• Like 2

Supermarkets are taking the piss, but mainly out of stupid customers. For example earlier I noticed iceberg lettuce for a 200g bag it was 79p yet for a 100g bag of shredded iceberg it was £1. I understand they can say well we shredded it hence the higher price. But what customer pays more for that. Same with microwave rice. People paying over £1 for say uncle bens because it says uncle bens on the packet! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy G said:

https://news.sky.com/story/unsuitable-childcare-causing-uk-to-miss-out-on-up-to-38bn-in-growth-says-thinktank-12826246

I support this - childcare costs in this country are an expensive joke. 30 hours free childcare is also discriminatory. Needs a re think

Me too.

We had our first a year ago and it makes no financial sense whatsoever for wife to go back to work and child to go to nursery.

44 minutes ago, LVFox said:

Me too.

We had our first a year ago and it makes no financial sense whatsoever for wife to go back to work and child to go to nursery.

Luckily our son finishes in July, I dont qualify for 30 hours free childcare and its the best part of £70 a day. I read in some parts of London it is above £100 a day. So thats over £2k a month - the equivalent of a top fee paying school. Shambles.

2 hours ago, Tommy G said:

https://news.sky.com/story/unsuitable-childcare-causing-uk-to-miss-out-on-up-to-38bn-in-growth-says-thinktank-12826246

I support this - childcare costs in this country are an expensive joke. 30 hours free childcare is also discriminatory. Needs a re think

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

It's pretty crazy. My missus worked in the NHS as a cook before having a baby but there is zero chance she goes back when her maternity leave is over. When childcare costs are taken out of her wages she'll walk out with £10-20 for the week. Why bother. Makes more sense for me to do extra hours to cover her shortfall. 

Just means there is someone at home who wants to be at work and someone at work who wants to be at home. Bonkers. 

58 minutes ago, LVFox said:

Me too.

It might be worth looking into tax free childcare where the government can contribute up to £500 per three months (or £2000 per year) towards childcare costs by paying 20% of childcare costs per month.   

It is not much but I was fortunate enough to have financial circumstances that mean my wife is able to work so it does help a bit for us.   I appreciate it might be not for everyone but worth to spread the message as this scheme is not promoted very well.

I also believe Universal Credit also can help out with childcare costs too if eligible.

Edited by The Blur

7 minutes ago, The Blur said:

It might be worth looking into tax free childcare where the government can contribute up to £500 per three months (or £2000 per year) towards childcare costs by paying 20% of childcare costs per month.   

It is not much but I was fortunate enough to have financial circumstances that mean my wife is able to work so it does help a bit for us.   I appreciate it might be not for everyone but worth to spread the message as this scheme is not promoted very well.

I also believe Universal Credit also can help out with childcare costs too if eligible.

It's to do with earnings. I used to be in that scheme when he was younger. 

23 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Went to order a curry, 2 curries, 2 rice, 2 naans and some onion bargies, best part of 60 quid. Absolute joke, got a pizza instead. 

19 hours ago, Royston. said:

Surely lying:P

Not so sure about the second comment.

In Hunstanton last weekend with 3 other people and we had 4 x fish and chips. £48! 

9 minutes ago, Parafox said:

In Hunstanton last weekend with 3 other people and we had 4 x fish and chips. £48! 

It will be like the pubs, eventually people will stop paying silly prices they will moan that they can't get customers and end up going bust.

5 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

It will be like the pubs, eventually people will stop paying silly prices they will moan that they can't get customers and end up going bust.

The pub where I used to watch PL games has ditched Sky and BT Sport as the cost became impossible to afford. £1350.00 a month.

As a result the customers who also watched PL games have gone elsewhere. Now the landlord is giving up and leaving.

A sorry state of affairs partly due to Covid, but mainly due to the greed of Sky. 

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Went to order a curry, 2 curries, 2 rice, 2 naans and some onion bargies, best part of 60 quid. Absolute joke, got a pizza instead. 

39 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Although we've not used them for a while, our local curry house would charge £34 for 2 x pilau rice, 2 x onion bhaji, 2 x standard curry dishes.

Fish and chips at £12 pp is steep, but cheaper than a curry.

52 minutes ago, Parafox said:

It was the same price down on the south coast last summer.  The fish and chip outlet was part of the farm shop and they were the best set of fish and chips I've ever eaten anywhere - worth the cost imo lol  You can't beat freshly sourced fish on the south coast when it's done well.

When the locals are queuing outside the place together with local business people fetching huge orders to take back to work, you know you're onto a winner!