Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

3 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

It will be like the pubs, eventually people will stop paying silly prices they will moan that they can't get customers and end up going bust.

They are jacking the prices up mainly to do with the cost of supply and electric/gas. You are probably right people will stop paying the prices at some point - but every time I’ve been in a pub post Xmas it’s heaving? Recession….what recession. 

10 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

They are jacking the prices up mainly to do with the cost of supply and electric/gas. You are probably right people will stop paying the prices at some point - but every time I’ve been in a pub post Xmas it’s heaving? Recession….what recession. 

Can't say the same for me, few places I've walked by in the evenings have been mostly empty or shutting early as they're empty. 

4 hours ago, Parafox said:

The pub where I used to watch PL games has ditched Sky and BT Sport as the cost became impossible to afford. £1350.00 a month.

As a result the customers who also watched PL games have gone elsewhere. Now the landlord is giving up and leaving.

A sorry state of affairs partly due to Covid, but mainly due to the greed of Sky. 

I had the displeasure of visiting Nuneaton a few weeks ago and a pub near the centre were showing a game using a dodgy stream, even broadcasting it on their massive, street-facing outdoor screen. Perhaps more will take that risk. 

12 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Luckily our son finishes in July, I dont qualify for 30 hours free childcare and its the best part of £70 a day. I read in some parts of London it is above £100 a day. So thats over £2k a month - the equivalent of a top fee paying school. Shambles.

One of the things the much maligned Liz Truss proposed to do was to relax the high staff-to-child ratio rules in nurseries.  That would cut costs.

5 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Although we've not used them for a while, our local curry house would charge £34 for 2 x pilau rice, 2 x onion bhaji, 2 x standard curry dishes.

Fish and chips at £12 pp is steep, but cheaper than a curry.

Crikey Moses.  I knew prices were silly down south, but I didn't realise it had got this far north.  I had to pay £12 at my local chippy the other day, but that was for two of us.  We think it's a bit steep that the local fish & chip restaurant charges £12 to eat in.

Edited by dsr-burnley

3 hours ago, Tommy G said:

That depends on which pub you go and the fact that when a pub is forced to shut down, another pub picks up the remaining business. You go round the villages in Leicestershire and there’s tons of pubs that have been forced to shut down.

• Like 1

Leicester folk need to get themselves down Silsila on Hinckley Road (the old Namaste). 

We went there the other day and although we didn't have starters we were stuffed with great food for about fifteen quid a head. Unlicensed so get yourself some cans from the offy across the street.

Unashamed shout out for them as it's a new business, they're lovely people, it's a cheap night out, exactly what we need at the moment and it'll be a proper shame if it isn't a success

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Leicester folk need to get themselves down Silsila on Hinckley Road (the old Namaste). 

We went there the other day and although we didn't have starters we were stuffed with great food for about fifteen quid a head. Unlicensed so get yourself some cans from the offy across the street.

Unashamed shout out for them as it's a new business, they're lovely people, it's a cheap night out, exactly what we need at the moment and it'll be a proper shame if it isn't a success

Absolutely NOTHING wrong with BYOB

29 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

Absolutely NOTHING wrong with BYOB

Could be and probably is just coincidence but I've always found that BYOB curry houses are the best curry houses.

The best was T&K Balti on Greenlane Road. RIP.

My chippy has hardly touched their prices and they're still getting the custom. I even gave them extra before Christmas. 

But I do have to question the sheer number of pubs. Within 5 minutes walk of me I've got about 12, before I even get into the little cafes. Yes, I'm near the centre of a 30k population town but there's absolutely no need for that many. Most are just the same. 

Several are now shut 2 days a week, with those that do food on reduced menu because they can't get the staff. 

Had just been enjoying not being scared to look at the smart meter and the daily gas usage dropping nicely. And along comes a cold spell to spoil it.

Although, it won't be a shocking as electricity costs on a prepayment meter. Staying in a property last week, Tuesday pm to Thur am, no central heating, only an electric fire and a fan heater. And that was pretty much all that was connected, £20 of electric!

2 hours ago, filthyfox said:

How the **** are 100 Twining Earl Grey teabags £6 in Asda???

180g of nescafe gold blend coffee in the co op is £9.60 a jar a mentioned that the proce was ridiculous to a member of staff to which he justified the price by saying it was the rolls Royce of coffee, for that price I'd want it to come with a bleeding rolls Royce.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Had just been enjoying not being scared to look at the smart meter and the daily gas usage dropping nicely. And along comes a cold spell to spoil it.

Although, it won't be a shocking as electricity costs on a prepayment meter. Staying in a property last week, Tuesday pm to Thur am, no central heating, only an electric fire and a fan heater. And that was pretty much all that was connected, £20 of electric!

What the hell where you staying in?  A barn? 

Was there a bathroom?

Was it being renovated?

33 minutes ago, kyleolly said:

180g of nescafe gold blend coffee in the co op is £9.60 a jar a mentioned that the proce was ridiculous to a member of staff to which he justified the price by saying it was the rolls Royce of coffee, for that price I'd want it to come with a bleeding rolls Royce.

I don't even drink coffee and I know this isn't remotely true lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

Could be and probably is just coincidence but I've always found that BYOB curry houses are the best curry houses.

The best was T&K Balti on Greenlane Road. RIP.

Yes what happened to that place? It was insane - loved it then it just vanished. 

I remember it was in a dodgy area - but the curry was superb. Must of been 10 times between the ages of 16-18

34 minutes ago, Parafox said:

What the hell where you staying in?  A barn? 

Was there a bathroom?

Was it being renovated?

3 bed semi-detached house. There is a bathroom, but no hot water. Absolutely no work required, thought it needed a bit of painting, but the tenants repainted all that was needed before they vacated, which was a result.

15 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Yes what happened to that place? It was insane - loved it then it just vanished. 

I remember it was in a dodgy area - but the curry was superb. Must of been 10 times between the ages of 16-18

Unreal curries and yeah I don't know how we first heard about it as we'd never really go to that area but not found a place that quite matches it yet.

I think it was something to do with the chef/kitchen staff and work visas. They had to stop working here or he couldn't recruit the staff he wanted to so the owner decided to close up (or something like that). Shame.

10 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

Unreal curries and yeah I don't know how we first heard about it as we'd never really go to that area but not found a place that quite matches it yet.

I think it was something to do with the chef/kitchen staff and work visas. They had to stop working here or he couldn't recruit the staff he wanted to so the owner decided to close up (or something like that). Shame.

2017 it shut down. Tragic!

On 24/02/2023 at 18:20, FoxesDeb said:

The narrative in the MSM regarding the current salad shortage in the UK makes me laugh, I've read its being blamed on a bad winter over here. Winter here has been fine, normal and mild. If there's a shortage in the UK it probably has more to do with the reluctance of EU companies to deliver any surplus to the UK with all the after Brexit red tape, it's certainly nothing to do with the weather in the growing region here

There will certainly be food security issues with the new farming subsidies coming soon. Large farms with more resources will be able to make the necessary changes but small farms will struggle (no doubt the oligarchs in this country will be drooling at the prospect of adding to their portfolio when these small farmers have no choice but to sell up).

The UK will certainly have to rely more on imports (currently at 46% for total food consumed), which as you highlighted, is already a fragile system.