Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

5 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

What rates are you paying on the tracker - highest and lowest? Or average?

Wholesale price of energy. Prices are released the day before. 

todays prices are 20.559p /kwh leccy and 5p / kwh gas 

had leccy lower than 17p 

• Thanks 1

On 29/03/2023 at 10:22, leicsmac said:

I think that was going to happen at some point anyway, for better or worse. Apart from some specific examples, brick and mortar retail can't compete with online retail in terms of economics.

Time for restaurants, other such services and pleasant open green spaces instead, I think.

It's a shame that delivery companies haven't stepped up to reflect this and, if anything, the experience of buying online is a lot less reliable from the delivery side of things. 

Despite making huge profits during lockdown, none of these companies have invested in their infrastructure and have mostly just cut jobs because more profit apparently isn't enough profit.

Policymakers, economists and, increasingly, the public are growing sceptical of justifications for rising prices. Bumper profits and bigger margins have not gone unnoticed and a new word, greedflation, has started to crop up.

Companies passed these higher input costs on to their clients, and then went further: margins reached record highs. Earnings before interest and taxes peaked in the course of 2022 at nearly 18 per cent of revenues on average for the largest US listed companies and more than 15 per cent for Europe’s biggest listed groups, according to data compiled by Refinitiv.

It took some time for central bankers and policymakers, more worried at first about a potential wage and inflation spiral, to take note. But they have now identified what has also been called “excuseflation” — when companies with market power seize on publicly reported disruptions to create legitimate justifications to increase prices — as a problematic behaviour because it heightens inflationary pressures. Anecdotal evidence is mounting in the US and the EU, notably Germany.

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Policymakers, economists and, increasingly, the public are growing sceptical of justifications for rising prices. Bumper profits and bigger margins have not gone unnoticed and a new word, greedflation, has started to crop up.

Companies passed these higher input costs on to their clients, and then went further: margins reached record highs. Earnings before interest and taxes peaked in the course of 2022 at nearly 18 per cent of revenues on average for the largest US listed companies and more than 15 per cent for Europe’s biggest listed groups, according to data compiled by Refinitiv.

It took some time for central bankers and policymakers, more worried at first about a potential wage and inflation spiral, to take note. But they have now identified what has also been called “excuseflation” — when companies with market power seize on publicly reported disruptions to create legitimate justifications to increase prices — as a problematic behaviour because it heightens inflationary pressures. Anecdotal evidence is mounting in the US and the EU, notably Germany.

I think that we've all suspected this for a long time. But what do we do about it? We might not be that far away from Paris type protest. 

4 hours ago, Spudulike said:

I think that we've all suspected this for a long time. But what do we do about it? We might not be that far away from Paris type protest. 

Yeh a good cleansing riot is definitely overdue. But won’t happen in 21st century Britain. We’ll just get worked up about boats or planes to Rwanda. Kudos to all those workers on strike that are at least doing something 

• Like 2

It's crap isn't it, they know how to protest properly in France, I remember when, and imagine it isn't far off now, (if it isn't happening already as its being criminally under reported on) lorries just blocked the motorways. They don't mess about in France, I don't know why we don't do the same, just bend over and take it with a smile. 

• Like 2

When are food prices going to stop increasing? Every time I go to the supermarket the same products are a few pence more expensive. Either that or they have reduced the number of items in the packet with the price remaining the same. Really starting to piss me off.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

When are food prices going to stop increasing? Every time I go to the supermarket the same products are a few pence more expensive. Either that or they have reduced the number of items in the packet with the price remaining the same. Really starting to piss me off.

... when people are angry and organised enough to refuse to let it happen any more, I think.

Sadly, I don't see that happening any time soon.

• Thanks 1

On 03/04/2023 at 10:19, leicsmac said:

... when people are angry and organised enough to refuse to let it happen any more, I think.

Never then

The streets will be full of tent cities before the Brits do anything meaningful 

• Like 1

On 03/04/2023 at 09:39, Unabomber said:

Noticed when we got our shopping delivered walkers multipack variety crisps have gone down from 22 to 20 packs, price has still stayed the same though. 

6 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Noticed when we got our shopping delivered walkers multipack variety crisps have gone down from 22 to 20 packs, price has still stayed the same though. 

I’m a big salt and vinegar McCoys fan, noticed it’s £2.50 for 6 bags, used to be a quid or £1.25 I think. Don’t bother anymore out of principle 

39 minutes ago, Eurofox said:

VAT on food in Portugal has been abolished & Electricity prices have only increased by 3%

😁

I'm just curious.....when you're sleeping in porches, do the occupants ever emerge and complain? :whistle: 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Boycott the big supermarkets and try and put a stop to the profiteering. 
Aldi for me. 

No idea how true it is, but I keep seeing things on FB saying grocery shopping at M&S these days can be cheaper than the other big supermarkets

• Like 1