Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

23 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

We will always be in a constant loop of poverty it would seem
Wages not in line with inflation, big out cry, all over the news, strikes etc etc to push for wage increases
Wages growth tops forecast to gain on inflation - Interest rates go up to combat this otherwise inflation will continue to rise so i'm told but smash my pocket with higher mortgage costs than the wage increase i received

just can't get my head around how all this works

Perhaps the fault is systemic, then.

26 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

We will always be in a constant loop of poverty it would seem
Wages not in line with inflation, big out cry, all over the news, strikes etc etc to push for wage increases
Wages growth tops forecast to gain on inflation - Interest rates go up to combat this otherwise inflation will continue to rise so i'm told but smash my pocket with higher mortgage costs than the wage increase i received

just can't get my head around how all this works

Defo not, the current result is because of years of horrendous incompetence and neglect by those in charge. Much like Greece it's pretty much a 101 on how to run a country down. We are paying our dues now. Strong and efficient governance avoids the loop you are describing, but who will provide it on our shores?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Defo not, the current result is because of years of horrendous incompetence and neglect by those in charge. Much like Greece it's pretty much a 101 on how to run a country down. We are paying our dues now. Strong and efficient governance avoids the loop you are describing, but who will provide it on our shores?

but isn't it the same in the States & across the EU, high in both Inflation & interests rates, maybe not as high as Uk but still interests rates are the highest they have been in the EU for 22yrs for example it can't all be down to the Tories?

What is it that will bring both inflation & interest rates down, is it still a knock on from Covid & UKE-RUS - what is the sweet spot they are looking?

9 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

but isn't it the same in the States & across the EU, high in both Inflation & interests rates, maybe not as high as Uk but still interests rates are the highest they have been in the EU for 22yrs for example it can't all be down to the Tories?

What is it that will bring both inflation & interest rates down, is it still a knock on from Covid & UKE-RUS - what is the sweet spot they are looking?

Yeh but not as bad as us. I am not one of those 'the Tories have ruined everything ahhh!!' twitter rent-a-gobs but they have failed to keep control of anything in our country.

Your question is way too big to be answered on a football forum but I reckon building skills towards profitable new industries instead of being stuck in the past like we are now.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Actually it's far worse than it should be for us because of the Tories.

Liz truss disastrous budget screwed us on inflation and mortgage rates. She should be in prison.

The trade deal with the EU was negotiated with absolutely no regard to how it could benefit the country or it's citizens meaning that bringing in good is far more costly then it should be.

Energy is more expensive. Truss allowed the energy companies to massively reduce the amount of gas they had to keep in reserve (just to help their profit margins) meaning that when there was a crisis we had to buy it in otherwise we'd run out.

Also government policy has been to stop our energy independence at every opportunity by limiting the amount of wind and solar we can produce thereby guaranteeing our dependence on unsavoury oil states. When they say just we say how high.

Losing billions to a crazy track and trace scheme, COVID fraud and theft from the treasury for COVID services which didn't exist or was of no use.

The main big thing is allowing companies to trade in the UK, receive subsidiaries from the treasury but then not pay any tax in the UK due to offshoring. 

All these black holes are paid for by printing money which affects inflation.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Thefox81 said:

An example in january we could get the kids a pizza for 85p. Its now £1.45 not far from a 100% mark up

We’ve just gone into Asda for the first time in ages, decided as it was our first day off together in a while we would get a nice quick and easy lunch. Spent the best part of 20 minutes wandering around trying to figure out how a cooked chicken, loaf of tiger bread and salad bag is around £10 now and trying to find something that actually provides value for money. Everything feels like it increases weekly. We shop at Aldi which we find to be reasonable but have still noticed the increases, your larger supermarkets seem to be taking the pi$$ though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

We’ve just gone into Asda for the first time in ages, decided as it was our first day off together in a while we would get a nice quick and easy lunch. Spent the best part of 20 minutes wandering around trying to figure out how a cooked chicken, loaf of tiger bread and salad bag is around £10 now and trying to find something that actually provides value for money. Everything feels like it increases weekly. We shop at Aldi which we find to be reasonable but have still noticed the increases, your larger supermarkets seem to be taking the pi$$ though.

Seasonal fresh ingredients which are available locally and some staples are manageable - can throw together a pasta with vegetables and tomato sauce for not a lot, or something with potato or something like chickpeas or lentils. But basically anything else is extortionate. Anything processed/packaged is going to be at least £2 a portion. Meat, even processed or cheap cuts at least £4 for a portion.

You can still eat reasonably nutritious stuff for a manageable price but it’s bland as.

• Like 1

On 16/06/2023 at 13:49, BKLFox said:

Why have we still got dopey ***** like you trying to forgive this diabolic government who have nothing but personal interest at heart?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bryn said:

Seasonal fresh ingredients which are available locally and some staples are manageable - can throw together a pasta with vegetables and tomato sauce for not a lot, or something with potato or something like chickpeas or lentils. But basically anything else is extortionate. Anything processed/packaged is going to be at least £2 a portion. Meat, even processed or cheap cuts at least £4 for a portion.

You can still eat reasonably nutritious stuff for a manageable price but it’s bland as.

Sainbury's still sell a medium chicken for less than a fiver, and that will easily feed four hungry people. And there's broth the day after. 

US food prices are about 50% higher than ours, on a quick calculation based on my self-catering holiday there. And they don't have the ultra-cheap jam for 40p and mushy peas for 30p sort of goods either. Fruit costs a fortune. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Sainbury's still sell a medium chicken for less than a fiver, and that will easily feed four hungry people. And there's broth the day after. 

US food prices are about 50% higher than ours, on a quick calculation based on my self-catering holiday there. And they don't have the ultra-cheap jam for 40p and mushy peas for 30p sort of goods either. Fruit costs a fortune. 

And that's when you can get it at all.

Have a look up at "food deserts".

18 hours ago, Bryn said:

Why have we still got dopey ***** like you trying to forgive this diabolic government who have nothing but personal interest at heart?

I was looking to educate myself to try and understand what is happening globally to draw a rounded explanation on the matter of inflation and interest rates and how this affects the UK & this is your reply….& I’m seen as the ignorant one.

• Like 2

Neo capitalism is the problem... as long as this fact is ignored it will continue to be.

90% + of the people posting in this thread and on this board are working class but think they are something else

when someone says that they're a capitalist od But you got capital, Lieutenant Dan.

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Neo capitalism is the problem... as long as this fact is ignored it will continue to be.

90% + of the people posting in this thread and on this board are working class but think they are something else

when someone says that they're a capitalist od But you got capital, Lieutenant Dan.

Unless you’re worth over £5m in this country you’re a pleb

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

90% ? Doubt it.

On 16/06/2023 at 13:49, BKLFox said:

The sweet spot they are looking for is a recession.Without admitting that we are in a recession.

I read that Aldi and Lidl were the worst offenders with 22% increases over 6 months, blatant profiteering. 

Where did the angry mob go in this country? We should have taken to the streets in protest at what's happened under this government.

Edited by SK3Blue
  • Like 1