Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

6 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

We were planning to come and house sit in the UK for a month in January, we thought we could visit family. We've changed our minds.  Even after the travel costs, the difference in the cost of fuel, supermarket shopping, eating out, everything is just so much more expensive in the UK, and the quality is worse, so we just can't justify it, and that's before you factor in the completely shit weather and the fact that everyone over there is so fvcking miserable. We will stay here and fly people over instead, it will work out cheaper overall and hopefully everyone will be a bit happier for it too lol

....and there's me looking to move back in the next month and a half.

Well, hopefully the change of management next year might help.

10 hours ago, weller54 said:

Great news for savers!.. 

6.25% available for a 1 year bond!! 

Kind of but just a fair rate when you look at inflation rates, inflation is eating away at the value of money so 6.25% is just keeping up, nothing gained really. You've really got to be getting 10%+ ROI elsewhere and that won't be in cash ISA's or savings accounts to be ''in the money''.

The people who are really losing out here are crummy payrise, big mortgage and no savings. < you could probably stick that statement to a large proportion of the working population.

• Like 3

Just now, fox_up_north said:

I must put my money into savings this month. I've never really done it but I've built up a chunk. 

I'm awful at this as well.

Listened to diary of a CEO podcast with a financial expert on. He summed up exactly why I don't, I like to have the money there incase things go all tits up and see it as "safety" almost. 

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Listened to diary of a CEO podcast with a financial expert on. He summed up exactly why I don't, I like to have the money there incase things go all tits up and see it as "safety" almost. 

Have you a link? 

I think this is it. I am quite cautious and like to know it's there. 

7 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Have you a link? 

I think this is it. I am quite cautious and like to know it's there. 

Do you/people think this is linked to your upbringing in some way? 

I never went without but when my dad wasn't well finances got well tight in my household when I was growing up, so when it got to me having a job/income/money I've always liked the comfort blanket of having money in the bank for "going wrong" or always being able to afford the basics and my basic wants.

21 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

It is ''there'' if you put it into saving, put it into an instant access saver and don't tie it up.

36 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

I never went without but when my dad wasn't well finances got well tight in my household when I was growing up, so when it got to me having a job/income/money I've always liked the comfort blanket of having money in the bank for "going wrong" or always being able to afford the basics and my basic wants.

Absolutely this. I always had what I wanted but, as I got older, I saw family and friends absolutely pee money up the wall. £1000 for curtains and so on. I have a real value for money, never been in debt, never had a credit card and - other than my house - paid for things outright.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Yes exactly that (the podcast actually helped me realise this too).

We were never rich/never poor, but I'd see my folks count incomings/outgoings meticulously. 

I'd see friends get these flashy things and abroad holidays, and I'd hear we couldn't afford it etc. 

So by no means did I ever miss out on things and I can't thank my folks enough for my upbringing, but the hearing "we can't afford to" through childhood builds that "okay I need to save and hold onto this money incase things go tits up" mentality.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

The well off have all had pay rises... 

And are also least effected by food price inflation still running at over 17%.

Maybe they should've got a balancing comment from a genuine expert who doesn't put his party allegiances before truth and isn't simply plugging his company's services through a press release.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

The well off have all had pay rises... 

Happened in the NHS, all staff got wage rises except the office-based roles, where (apart from the top dogs) pretty much everyone is underpaid. Real kick in the teeth for many. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Took them a year to negotiate it, in which time inflation increased everything by 10%.  

Yeah, and people who try to make the world a better place for other people actually outside their "in group"/immediate line of sight deserve to be on the poverty line anyway.

.....right?