Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

1 minute ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

They might as well do it on the Smart motorways anyway, and not tell people so as to avoid all the fuss.

The difference in the fuel consumption in my car between driving at 60 and 80 mph is massive - I reckon the extra 20 mph uses at least 25% more fuel

Massive difference.I’m not a big Top Gear fan but loved the London to Edinburgh and back on one tank challenge.Lost count of the times I’ve pushed my luck doing ridiculous mileage on the red.All because I can’t be arsed to fill up until I get home.

4 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Extra weight in your car also greatly affects the mpg performance.

I know that because I was getting 51mpg with the wife in the car..

After I'd pushed her out on the motorway I immediately got over 55mpg.

Try it yourselves.

I should probably take out the full size spare alloy wheel before I try that!

A friend of mine removed the back seats from his car and eventually, most of the interior trim for this very reason.  It had the added bonus of feeling like you were in a Mad Max film whenever he gave you a lift

I am trying to update my meter readings before the change in tariff, but it seems the British Gas website/app are down and have been for some time. I would try phoning, but unfortunately have laryngitis (this first cold post-lockdown business is no joke!) and have completely lost my voice. I have taken photos to prove the readings, so hopefully can do it retrospectively. 

36 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I am trying to update my meter readings before the change in tariff, but it seems the British Gas website/app are down and have been for some time. I would try phoning, but unfortunately have laryngitis (this first cold post-lockdown business is no joke!) and have completely lost my voice. I have taken photos to prove the readings, so hopefully can do it retrospectively. 

You sound ok to me.

• Haha 1

Be interested to hear if people have had pay reviews this year? We are currently reviewing for our business and its a tricky subject to navigate, with everything else going up at a speed of more than 6.2% (current inflation figure) our margins are being squeezed as it is. Good people are still a scarse resource so we wont want to lose people on thie basis that other firms are paying better. It's a nightmare

2 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Be interested to hear if people have had pay reviews this year? We are currently reviewing for our business and its a tricky subject to navigate, with everything else going up at a speed of more than 6.2% (current inflation figure) our margins are being squeezed as it is. Good people are still a scarse resource so we wont want to lose people on thie basis that other firms are paying better. It's a nightmare

Pay increase? Whats that? lol

Just now, SecretPro said:

Pay increase? Whats that? lol

Just interested to see if anyone was experiencing decent uplifts with the economic situation atm. The NI hike comes in next month too. Some people wont realise this / will have forgotten about it. 

18 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

We did up to 20% increases for our good people within the past 3 months. As you say good people are still scarce and we don't want to lose them.

13 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Just interested to see if anyone was experiencing decent uplifts with the economic situation atm. The NI hike comes in next month too. Some people wont realise this / will have forgotten about it. 

I work on the railway. We got offered a 3.5% increase but the unions have said no. Think there pushing for about 5% but not sure the company will budge from 3.5.

21 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

No idea what is being proposed, but in HE I believe it is agreed across the sector what the rate will be. I doubt it will come close to covering the inflation increases, so crossing my fingers that the promotion application I put in comes off! At least I can be confident we will get something though, and I know unfortunately that's not true for all. 

26 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

My pay review is in May. Fully expect it to be above whatever the current inflation figure is. Never been so busy. :blink:

6 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/mar/30/free-parking-for-nhs-hospital-staff-in-england-to-end-on-friday

'Free parking for NHS staff working in hospitals in England will end on Friday, the health secretary has said.'

'“However, over 93% of NHS trusts that charge for car parking have implemented free parking for those in greatest need, including NHS staff working overnight.”'

One thing I've never understood is how it's acceptable to charge NHS workers to park, when this idea was suggested years ago it should have been laughed out the room, instead it was implemented!

They should only be free where the shifts do not allow the use of public transport, particularly in cities where it isn't a consideration by the local mayor.

Most employees have to pay for parking at city centre sites unfortunately. Thanks to the levy (yay SPS) the ones that do offer it will probably get rid or charge their staff for its use too.

5 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Edited by Parafox

4 hours ago, kenny said:

We did up to 20% increases for our good people within the past 3 months. As you say good people are still scarce and we don't want to lose them.

Christ, got any jobs going?! I’m deep into back n forth with my employer over this years pay. Loads of good people have left our place 

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Christ, got any jobs going?! I’m deep into back n forth with my employer over this years pay. Loads of good people have left our place 

We shat ourselves that may happen and acted first. Once you start struggling to find new ones then you know yours are at risk.

Edited by kenny
autocorrect issues
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Tommy G said:

We've had a 3.2% rise across the business Tom.  (About 3000 staff).  However, pockets have had larger uplifts to ensure pay parity in roles and to uplift against market conditions. This is especially true of our entry level roles and trying to look after them. 

Saying that, we also pay 12% pension contribution on top of employee and have a virtually guaranteed bonus too.

Total reward is good here, but base salaries not market leading. 

Really really really hacked off with this push on air source heat pumps.

BBC Breakfast have just done a segment about it. Thought it was going to be heavily biased towards sending people ‘Green’ but in fairness to them it was fairly well balanced.

What they’re still failing to mention though is the cost of having to also upgrade your radiators to roughly double the existing sizes, the pipe work to your radiators (if you live in a new build) and that’s before you redecorate. 

Ironically older and larger houses will more likely have the better suited framework to install these- an airing cupboard, older (larger) radiators and adequately sized pipe work to suit. These types of houses are also the ones that generally lack insufficient insulation too though 😂

New build houses have too small a size pipe work, radiators that won’t be big enough, and for the smaller houses- no airing cupboard to house the cylinder but will be insulated sufficiently 

Its unbelievable and massively irresponsible of the government ending the sales of gas fired boilers in less than 8 years time, without any sort of viable alternative at all.

You couldn’t make it up. In years to come there’ll be companies calling you offering payouts similar to PPI asking if you were mis-sold an air source heat pump. 

Even now with current gas prices, it’s still cheaper to run your boiler than it is to have one of these pieces of shite installed, let alone larger radiators/better insulation, and that’s before you think about redecorating after installation 

Edited by The Year Of The Fox
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/mar/30/free-parking-for-nhs-hospital-staff-in-england-to-end-on-friday

'Free parking for NHS staff working in hospitals in England will end on Friday, the health secretary has said.'

'“However, over 93% of NHS trusts that charge for car parking have implemented free parking for those in greatest need, including NHS staff working overnight.”'

One thing I've never understood is how it's acceptable to charge NHS workers to park, when this idea was suggested years ago it should have been laughed out the room, instead it was implemented!

Most people pay for either public transport or parking, why should NHS staff be any different?  They should be paid properly of course.

Our core team had very healthy raises ranging from at least 9% with the majority at between 15% - 25%. 

Management team review still ongoing, in the past our pay has been “x” above the core team, so hoping to see a similar raise. We’ll see though. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
15 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Most people pay for either public transport or parking, why should NHS staff be any different?  They should be paid properly of course.

This isn't true though? Public transport yep, but parking????