Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

2 hours ago, Milo said:

I’m 6 months in to my EV experience. I was pretty sceptical to start with, but the reality is that I'm saving bundles. 

My 6 monthly total from home charging is £146, with a few public top up sessions to add to that. 

In comparison, I was spending around £90 plus per month on filling up my old car. 

(I’m also saving a fair chunk on road tax/ULEZ/congestion/insurance and monthly payments). 

So, whilst I don’t love my EV as much as I did my old car, I can’t argue with the finances of it. 

see we are a heavy mileage family... in the 4.5 years we've owned our current diesel, we've done over 120,000 miles in it.  but because it's a company car, we don't pay insurance, maintenance etc and we put all our private mileage on it, which has meant my 15 year old Audi has survived many more years than it should have lol. 

I "suspect" we will be better off.... we definitely will be from a BIK perspective, but if my Wife has a 400 mile round trip for work, she will be charging at public charging points, which will inevitably nudge the cost up dramatically... 

20 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

see we are a heavy mileage family... in the 4.5 years we've owned our current diesel, we've done over 120,000 miles in it.  but because it's a company car, we don't pay insurance, maintenance etc and we put all our private mileage on it, which has meant my 15 year old Audi has survived many more years than it should have lol. 

I "suspect" we will be better off.... we definitely will be from a BIK perspective, but if my Wife has a 400 mile round trip for work, she will be charging at public charging points, which will inevitably nudge the cost up dramatically... 

Yep - it’s definitely the biggest issue as to whether you should come on over to the dark side or not. 

I do about 9-10k a year - mostly shortish journeys so it worked out for me. But obviously it won’t for everyone. 

I’ve got a 350 mile round trip scheduled for later this month, and I’m already not looking forward to the faff, time and inconvenience of having to charge half way. 

But that’s quite an unusual journey for me. 

My brother in law recently did a Europe trip in his EV - no issues, just planned the stops. 

1 hour ago, danny. said:

Yea they are super cheap. I pay £180/mo for my lease plus £8/mo servicing and then whatever the insurance is. That’s it. I was spending way more on an old petrol car before with fuel and tax. 

What car is this if you don't mind me asking? 

Seems a great price tbh. 

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Yep - it’s definitely the biggest issue as to whether you should come on over to the dark side or not. 

I do about 9-10k a year - mostly shortish journeys so it worked out for me. But obviously it won’t for everyone. 

I’ve got a 350 mile round trip scheduled for later this month, and I’m already not looking forward to the faff, time and inconvenience of having to charge half way. 

But that’s quite an unusual journey for me. 

My brother in law recently did a Europe trip in his EV - no issues, just planned the stops. 

I a 400 mile work trip v 400 holiday makes all the difference psychologically on the level of faff and stress involved.

3 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

£2k per year?  For a new car?  Was there a capital cost up front?

I use Arval for my vehicle and they're offering the Ami via Salary Sacrifice for £178.55 p/m which includes service, tyres, insurance and all maintenance so can believe the above.  It's got a P11d valuation of about £8k so is great value.

8 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

For those wondering why that Citreon is so cheap, I’d recommend a quick google image search. Wow

I was sat behind a similar thing yesterday - a Renault Twizzle (Twizzy)? 

Looks terrifying :blink:

42 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

£2k per year?  For a new car?  Was there a capital cost up front?

3 months. But I suggest you look at it before getting too excited.

Citroen are keen to stress it's a quadracycle not a car. It's an upgrade on a Renault twizy though as it comes with windows 'as standard'.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Innovindil said:

What car is this if you don't mind me asking? 

Seems a great price tbh. 

Kia Soul, and yea amazing lease price for a £35k rrp car! It’s more than that now but you can get the MG EV (think it’s a 3?) for similar. Also does around 260-300miles on a charge. 

10 hours ago, Milo said:

I’m 6 months in to my EV experience. I was pretty sceptical to start with, but the reality is that I'm saving bundles. 

My 6 monthly total from home charging is £146, with a few public top up sessions to add to that. 

In comparison, I was spending around £90 plus per month on filling up my old car. 

(I’m also saving a fair chunk on road tax/ULEZ/congestion/insurance and monthly payments). 

So, whilst I don’t love my EV as much as I did my old car, I can’t argue with the finances of it. 

Interesting, good to see savings can be made. We are getting one 1st quarter next year through a work scheme. The hope was to use it in part as a house battery, grid subsidy, but good too hear it’s financially viable (if a little underwhelming)

7 hours ago, kenny said:

Citreon Ami.

Only £167 per month on a lease or £167 per month if you buy it...

image.png.4d23e0e2b91531f06c8e691473ef717e.png

WTF is THAT!!!

I wouldn't want to be in that in a collision. It already looks like it's been shunted from behind into a car in front.

• Haha 4

Australia records biggest income decline in the developed world...

Economists have urged Treasurer Jim Chalmers to overhaul Australia’s tax system after new data showed households suffered the largest fall in living standards of any advanced economy over the past year.

Inflation-adjusted disposable incomes have hit their lowest level since June 2019 as high inflation, a rapid increase in mortgage repayments and rising income taxes ravage household budgets, newly released data from the OECD

https://www.afr.com/policy/economy/australia-records-biggest-income-decline-in-the-developed-world-20231108-p5eijq

• Haha 1

I have a 13 year old 1.3 petrol. I work from home and if I do more than a few thousand miles a year I'd be amazed. It had 43000 when I got it 7 years ago and is now up to 98000. The bulk of those were front loaded pre WFH.

The kicker is I'm an end terrace house. How the hell would I charge my car? 

5 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

I have a 13 year old 1.3 petrol. I work from home and if I do more than a few thousand miles a year I'd be amazed. It had 43000 when I got it 7 years ago and is now up to 98000. The bulk of those were front loaded pre WFH.

The kicker is I'm an end terrace house. How the hell would I charge my car? 

Wait a few years until you can charge out of lamposts etc 

5 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Wait a few years until you can charge out of lamposts etc 

Goody.  We're going to get lots more lampposts.  (At the moment we only have 6 on our street, for 40 houses. And they aren't wired for heavy duty, so far as I know - it's no so long ago that they wouldn't run Christmas fairy lights out of them because they didn't know if they had the capacity.)

More pertinently, I think wait a few years until technology has improved to take out many of the inconveniences.  Solid state, faster recharging batteries seems favourite at the moment.