Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

1 hour ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Theoretically that shouldn’t be correct given the air test new builds have to pass

Probably shouldn’t be but I’m just going on my own experience my sisters very expensive house is freezing and like something from ikea where as my house was built to last. My house is 100 years older but it’ll last longer for sure.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Shows how times change.  My brother was born prematurely in December 1960 (before central heating for most people) and not only was the bedroom cold enough for frost pictures on the window, but also my parents were told to put him outside for an hour or so each day to strengthen him.  

14 degrees at night?  I'm surprised he or she can sleep at all.  Very warm.

Quite.

Perhaps there's a few reasons that when you go to a graveyard and look further back than, say, the 50's, you see an awful lot of graves of kids under seven or eight years old.

Thankfully, those are the days behind us - mostly, for now and in the UK, anyway.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Quite.

Perhaps there's a few reasons that when you go to a graveyard and look further back than, say, the 50's, you see an awful lot of graves of kids under seven or eight years old.

Thankfully, those are the days behind us - mostly, for now and in the UK, anyway.

Agreed, plenty of reasons why child mortality has reduced.  I suspect that a lot of the reason why 1940's and earlier babies and children died young, was because of the lack of vaccinations and antibiotics and the far few calories that they used to eat, rather than lack of heat.  Bedroom heating was still relatively rare into the seventies and child mortality was well down by then.  No doubt inside toilets and hot and cold running water were factors in the improvement as well.

On 30/11/2023 at 20:52, Ian Nacho said:

My Victorian house (around 1900) is absolutely dreadful to heat at this time of year. I work from home and don't put the heating on until about 5/6 by this point the thermostat is reading around 6 degrees in some rooms. The heating will be on for a solid 3 hours and the temperature would've only gone up to around 9/10 degrees. The thermostat is set at 14 and it won't even get there tonight. I've got loft insulation and a modern boiler which has recently been serviced but it is just absolutely useless at retaining heat. Mad to think I'm spending hundreds of pounds a month this time of year to keep my house slightly less freezing than it would be without the heating. 

I've no idea how you cope with that! That's just insane. I'd need to consider moving.

Our heating was off for 5 weeks whilst away, the temperature dropped to 11c. Although, the heating went on for nearly a full 24 hours before we returned on Tuesday, to get it back to 20/21c.  

For those that have had insulation done on an old house/ know someone who does / knows a firm - how the hell do you find people?

I've searched google, checkatrade and a few others. Feels like everyone is either doing cavity wall or loft with no other options. I don't want to just get a plasterer in to whack some insulation up without a knowledge of U values and preventing damp. 

1 minute ago, Daggers said:

Hey, let’s sell off all the social housing stock and not bother to replace it. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

IMG_4145.jpeg

Very well put and the legacy has lead to millions of people facing a bleak or at the least a very uncertain future that should concern us all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daggers said:

Hey, let’s sell off all the social housing stock and not bother to replace it. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

IMG_4145.jpeg

5 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

Very well put and the legacy has lead to millions of people facing a bleak or at the least a very uncertain future that should concern us all.

Lifestyle choice, don't you know? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

I know you are joking and if only it was a choice

Think he was being sarcastic, by relating what he said then to a Braverman comment about homeless people (?)..

Edited by Wymsey
  • Haha 2