Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

9 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Walking through Nottingham the other night was a homeless man passed out on the high street clearly on something and I must have seen 40 people walk past him, and god knows how many before i noticed him, before i went and tended to him. It’s the governments fault and I can’t stand them but the general apathy or outright disdain some, but in that instant all people have for the homeless community is outright shocking. Shameful.

Good for you that you did something. I think a lot of people possibly just feel helpless or ill equipped to know what to do, but I'm sure you're right that some just probably judge. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Walking through Nottingham the other night was a homeless man passed out on the high street clearly on something and I must have seen 40 people walk past him, and god knows how many before i noticed him, before i went and tended to him. It’s the governments fault and I can’t stand them but the general apathy or outright disdain some, but in that instant all people have for the homeless community is outright shocking. Shameful.

Horrible, well done for getting involved.

General apathy (and false equivalence 'they're all as bad as each other') is in part what gets you a government like this.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

A homeless person is not less of a person but many see it that way.

I'm gonna open myself up here to criticism but I have to admit many homeless come across as rather unpleasant or intimidating characters. I don't find it surprising that they are ignored.

There's a slight passive aggressiveness about placing yourself outside Aldi doors and sitting hunched over, crossed legged. Or sparked out on spice in pedestrianised town centres

I have no doubts that there are many homeless with serious mental health issues and or circumstances have left them in a pickle. The health and care service should be given the resources to rescue those who ain't all there. And a much more structured solution from, say, credit unions, to help out those who have fallen on bad times to have a legal address / electoral roll / bank account to enable them to get back into the world. 

But I also wonder how many other 'homeless' have a home to go to too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I'm gonna open myself up here to criticism but I have to admit many homeless come across as rather unpleasant or intimidating characters. I don't find it surprising that they are ignored.

There's a slight passive aggressiveness about placing yourself outside Aldi doors and sitting hunched over, crossed legged. Or sparked out on spice in pedestrianised town centres

I have no doubts that there are many homeless with serious mental health issues and or circumstances have left them in a pickle. The health and care service should be given the resources to rescue those who ain't all there. And a much more structured solution from, say, credit unions, to help out those who have fallen on bad times to have a legal address / electoral roll / bank account to enable them to get back into the world. 

I'm concerned the number of people evicted through no fault of their own that end up in awful temporary accommodation or homeless. Many are in work and contribute to society 

• Like 1

On 01/12/2023 at 16:25, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I live in a Victorian house, is an end one. We have the heating on a lot, youngun has just turned 2 and have it on 14 through the night which is annoying but necessary imo when it’s getting to - degrees during the night. Have it at 18 during the day. We are paying 250 a month for gas and electric currently. 

my sister has a new build and it’s like it’s made from cardboard, is constantly absolutely freezing even with the heating on just seems to be drafts from

everywhere. The only thing more impressive than how much the price is going up with new builds is how is by how much poorer the build quality is.

Who is the builder? It should be the opposite of that due to the regs they have to build to. 

44 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I'm going to try and be kind here. I suspect many of them, if not all, have had unpleasant and intimidating lives up until this point. 

Seriously though, man, who would choose the street over a home, particularly in this weather? If you really think that, you're a far braver man....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Where should they sit for you to feel less inclined to just ignore them?

I thought my comment was designed to be honest, not inflammatory. I ain't looking for a row. 

If someone has obvious mental health issues, it can be intimidating. Regardless whether that is right or wrong. It's hard to judge how someone (who can't think normally) will react if offered help by a random dude walking past. 

Likewise, if someone is comatose on spice. Or pissed out their head. The overriding gut instinct is that it can be precarious to play the good samaritan. 

• Like 1

I was talking to a guy today who works at the foodbank charity where my wife volunteers, who related a conversation he'd had with a homeless man.

This man had been living in a tent on a local park. Somebody reported his presence to the local council who, whilst this guy was away from his tent, removed it, and all his belongings. He went to the council to get his stuff back. When the clerk checked, it had been taken to the tip and dumped. 

He was left with nothing and had to start again trying to rebuild his meagre existence.

• Sad 5

1 minute ago, Parafox said:

I was talking to a guy today who works at the foodbank charity where my wife volunteers, who related a conversation he'd had with a homeless man.

This man had been living in a tent on a local park. Somebody reported his presence to the local council who, whilst this guy was away from his tent, removed it, and all his belongings. He went to the council to get his stuff back. When the clerk checked, it had been taken to the tip and dumped. 

He was left with nothing and had to start again trying to rebuild his meagre existence.

Not uncommon in the slightest. Once you’re on the streets all your stuff goes the longer you’re there. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

They do 

Regs are one thing, build quality is another. 
Wife and I, before buying the wreck we currently live in, looked extensively for a decent new build, saw some terrible examples and these were in the higher end of the market price wise. Mate is a chippy, he’s done loads of work putting things right in new builds after sale. Saw lots of cost cutting on materials and poor workmanship. 

12 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Regs are one thing, build quality is another. 
Wife and I, before buying the wreck we currently live in, looked extensively for a decent new build, saw some terrible examples and these were in the higher end of the market price wise. Mate is a chippy, he’s done loads of work putting things right in new builds after sale. Saw lots of cost cutting on materials and poor workmanship. 

There will be next to no cost cutting on materials from the major housebuilders as their houses are type approved by NHBC, so spec changes are very difficult for them. Plus they have national agreements with suppliers that means materials are ordered long in advance of being used.

They fall down on workmanship and supervision. Typically speaking the houses are generally good with some awful examples. I've been to sites with 1000 houses built correctly but then 1-2 that are completely wrong in every way.

The ones with a 5* rating are usually really precious over it and will bend over backwards if errors have been made.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bovril said:

I can't believe how much homelessness is just tacitly accepted in this country. Feels like it gets very little discussion either in the media or amongst the general public compared to other social issues. And to a great extent it's fixable too.

There is a strange mentality to it, for sure.

Might be me with this opinion, but the cost of living crisis (with increasing amount of people homeless) seems to have made this issue one that gets shoved into the carpet a bit.

3 minutes ago, kenny said:

There will be next to no cost cutting on materials from the major housebuilders as their houses are type approved by NHBC, so spec changes are very difficult for them. Plus they have national agreements with suppliers that means materials are ordered long in advance of being used.

They fall down on workmanship and supervision. Typically speaking the houses are generally good with some awful examples. I've been to sites with 1000 houses built correctly but then 1-2 that are completely wrong in every way.

The ones with a 5* rating are usually really precious over it and will bend over backwards if errors have been made.

That’s what I’m told. What I saw was a different matter. Agreed that it will be a minority with major issues, just that I saw too many with minor issues. I’ve developed several properties over the years and probably gone over the top quality wise so I’m used to looking for issues. 
Some of the things I saw were minor, some less so but I was looking to spend 700k (in Wales) so my expectations were high. 

I don’t think there’s anything ‘wrong’ per say with the new build i have spent a decent amount of time in just its drafty and when you tap your knuckles on a wall it feels like a if you gave it a full blown thwack it would fold like wet cardboard. You struggle to get a drill in my walls the difference in sturdiness structurally is night and day.

19 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I don’t think there’s anything ‘wrong’ per say with the new build i have spent a decent amount of time in just its drafty and when you tap your knuckles on a wall it feels like a if you gave it a full blown thwack it would fold like wet cardboard. You struggle to get a drill in my walls the difference in sturdiness structurally is night and day.

Exactly this ⬆️

4 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

What did you do for him?

4 hours ago, Bordersfox said:

Horrible, well done for getting involved.

General apathy (and false equivalence 'they're all as bad as each other') is in part what gets you a government like this.  

There's also the possibility of being attacked. It happens to paramedics and firemen, who are clearly there to help them. I've had it happen to me too. Not saying you shouldn't get involved, but there's always that risk, which will moderate people's response.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

There's also the possibility of being attacked. It happens to paramedics and firemen, who are clearly there to help them. I've had it happen to me too. Not saying you shouldn't get involved, but there's always that risk, which will moderate people's response.

Yeh man, I wouldn’t feel confident approaching anyone who’s off their trolley on who knows what. Often give food to homeless sober people, pre covid got to know emma outside my office quite well who I gave our leftover food too. Said she could make £600 a day which I don’t believe for a second, surely BS?!!?
What is the advice when you see someone bopped out, call emergency services?