Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

14 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Those on a fixed tariff will be unaffected after tomorrow, won't we?

Am lucky I don't have to renew until 2024, but wouldn't be surprised if EDF were to increase my monthly bill somehow - no matter how little.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

To be fair, if anything is going to fix this crisis, its 20 people stood on Humberstone Gate holding signs saying "We won't pay for the crisis" before returning home to their heated homes.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

Wasn't there an announcement today saying the ones up north had been given a years extension to carry on?

Maybe. I know they were told to hold off sealing the wells with concrete. Which would be insane in normal times nevermind now during an energy crisis. 

10 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/energy-crisis-fracking-u-turn-as-cuadrillas-uk-wells-given-stay-of-execution-by-regulator-12578858

This HAS to happen. Whichever puts it in their manifesto for the next election will get my vote

Nah. Can miss me with them earthquakes tbh. It was a good idea, we tried it, turned out it was a shit idea. Doing the same thing twice and expecting different results is insanity.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Nah. Can miss me with them earthquakes tbh. It was a good idea, we tried it, turned out it was a shit idea. Doing the same thing twice and expecting different results is insanity.

Except there wasn't earthquakes. The USA have been fracking for years without issue. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Scotch said:

You could be right but anything I've tried to find on subsidies hasn't turned up anything. 

I do know they were pretty proud of how energy efficient and green they were going to be when they built them, saying things like...

"The new homes include features such as a biomass district heating system, heat interface units (HIU) in each home, smart dual zone temperature controls, solar photovoltaic panel installations, water saving taps and toilets, low energy LED lighting and mechanical ventilation systems"

Like I said, our bill this month was £15. During the hight of winter it was obviously more  maybe a bit below double that and that was with our heating on constantly. Although the heating system was set to go off and on once the house hit or went below the temperate we set it at. 

https://www.largsandmillportnews.com/news/17939033.fury-monstrous-largs-chimneys-500-000-cost-taxpayer-revealed/

Looks like it costs the taxpayer to run the biomass. Perhaps a yay to the Tories moment?

Either way it's probably a demonstration that biomass doesn't work unless the public sector pay for it.

• Like 1

You have no idea how pleasing it is to find out that I'm heating my home with the tears of local Largs residents! 

People in this town are d!cks!

Also, I'm not sure what the Tories have to do with it...

Edited by Scotch
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scotch said:

You have no idea how pleasing it is to find out that I'm heating my home with the tears of local Largs residents! 

People in this town are d!cks!

Also, I'm not sure what the Tories have to do with it...

😂

Fair enough. Was a gentle (ish) dig at your unionist dislikes.

Interesting that these houses cost £60k per unit more than the saffron lane passivhaus scheme in Leicester that delivers cheaper bills than your place.

This could be due to the SER based bureaucracy and also the general wastage that appears to occur north of the border. 

I feel for those like my daughter, who are a prepay meter. They already pay more per unit than those on contracts. Our bills will effectively go up twice as we will have to help her financially after this.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I feel for those like my daughter, who are a prepay meter. They already pay more per unit than those on contracts. Our bills will effectively go up twice as we will have to help her financially after this.

Its so sad. My sister got a fixed rate this morning (he was on standard variable). She's gone from £95 pm to £157 pm. She decided to take it as it gave her some sense of control but what a rise. 

My brother is in a worse position - £220 pm!!

People are being battered. 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, NasPb said:

Some will look for answers and solutions in every single place except for what the roots of this crisis, which is neoliberalism since the thatcher days... It's as essential as this. Basic necessities must be in the hands of the public sector. 

And they'll also ignore the clear austerity being pushed down our throats, and it's effects which we've already seen

This economic model is destined to fail in every regard. And even when it does and will do sooner rather than later, it will never ever disappear. It's a cancer to all humanity and it rips the spirit of man out of his own heart. 

Ps, all I'm suggesting is a modern application of basic keynesian policies gradually. At the very least the most necessary industries must be in hands of the public sector and ideally managed democratically. But i can guarantee you all that both labour who have returned to the famous "third way" ie neoliberalism lite, and especially these Tories, who are the most rabid ones we've seen for a while won't do anything sustancial. Libdems are fiscally right wing as well and were bed in the Tories for the shameful policies applied in the coalition. 

There are dark dark dark days ahead. This is just the start. Pray amd hope for the best, and speak out against it with actions and suggestions of policies against it. Direct action needed. No violence as I'm a pacifist but this can't continue on. The government is causing the deaths of thousands... And they've done it even before during the worst years of coalition austerity. They have blood on their hands and labour seem to thjnk following them on their dark evil road is the solution 

Now more than ever is the time for solidarity.. If you can give back to others do so. Whether it be here or abroad... Only we can help each other. We're one family at the end of the day, beyond the confines of this low life. 

I agree. Sadly I can't see anything changing in our lifetime though.

• Like 1