Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

47 minutes ago, Izzy said:

On those crappy Spanish roads, you should need an MOT every month :D

If our roads were nearly as bad as the UK roads I would agree, it's a popular myth though, virtually every road I've been on in Spain, France and Portugal have all been miles better maintained than those in the UK  😉

21 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

If our roads were nearly as bad as the UK roads I would agree, it's a popular myth though, virtually every road I've been on in Spain, France and Portugal have all been miles better maintained than those in the UK  😉

Didn't take you long to go native Deb :D

• Haha 3

Guest Col city fan
2 hours ago, Izzy said:

Absolutely right. A completely pony idea that needs binning right away. 

Sounds like the vast bulk of Tory policy….

😄

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

Spanish roads are amazing and empty.

Essentially the opposite of our country, you can tell Spain is massive with a low population.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

Gas and electric went up from £96 to £162 today.

Meanwhile, BP are struggling to find ways of hiding their greatest profits in a decade.

System is completely broken.

Not a bad increase in gas and electric compared to some....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

Gas and electric went up from £96 to £162 today.

Meanwhile, BP are struggling to find ways of hiding their greatest profits in a decade.

System is completely broken.

Are you forgetting the massive loses BP made in 2020 & 21?..

and today they have pretty much written off £20+b in the interest they had in the Russian Rosneft !!

15 minutes ago, weller54 said:

and today they have pretty much written off £20+b in the interest they had in the Russian Rosneft !!

Ah yes, that accounting book loss that still left the company valued at £228.69 billion?

I imagine the board were all riding around on buses during the day to stay warm and sharing a tin of soup for lunch. We should start a fundraiser for them.

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Ah yes, that accounting book loss that still left the company valued at £228.69 billion?

I imagine the board were all riding around on buses during the day to stay warm and sharing a tin of soup for lunch. We should start a fundraiser for them.

So how does the planet get to meet it's net carbon targets if the big energy companies don't invest in it?...BP today announced a £18billion investment into the UK renewables over the next 8 years!!

Who else is going to invest these massive numbers into saving our planet?

My opinion is don't shoot the golden goose!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weller54 said:

That's all through investment into other revenue sources though, nothing to do with the supply of fuel.

Edited by yorkie1999

2 minutes ago, weller54 said:

So how does the planet get to meet it's net carbon targets if the big energy companies don't invest in it?...BP today announced a £18billion investment into the UK renewables over the next 8 years!!

With Russia and Ukraine currently trying to blow up the next 50 years worth of fossil fuels in one go, i think carbon targets have gone right out of the window. 

9 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Not BP, it will be very interesting to track these metrics announced today, as well as the $25bn of provisions against Rosneft (which paid out $1bn in its final dividend, after the war had begun, i believe).

Once the heat is off and the public forget about all of this, the £18bn will probably dwindle by over 75%.

In terms of who else should be investing these sums, the Govt, with help from a windfall tax!

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Not BP, it will be very interesting to track these metrics announced today, as well as the $25bn of provisions against Rosneft (which paid out $1bn in its final dividend, after the war had begun, i believe).

Once the heat is off and the public forget about all of this, the £18bn will probably dwindle by over 75%.

In terms of who else should be investing these sums, the Govt, with help from a windfall tax!

They'll be no windfall tax under the Tories!..

And it's about the only policy of theirs I agree with.

25 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

With Russia and Ukraine currently trying to blow up the next 50 years worth of fossil fuels in one go, i think carbon targets have gone right out of the window. 

Nah, this shooting match going on right now may remove what's going on and what needs to be done to address it from the headlines and policy discussion, but it doesn't mean it it's no longer happening. Nor does it mean the consequences of it (that would make what's going on now look like a pleasant day at the seaside) are any less.

48 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Not sure if serious or…

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

A windfall tax on increased revenues from charging the taxpayer more.......makes sense!

• Sad 1

On 03/05/2022 at 15:29, grobyfox1990 said:

I doubt there would be any profit for the government from a windfall tax, because BP's profit this year will probably have been written off in full (with room to spare) against the losses from last year.  So there's no profit to tax.

Up to 2013, BP were making about $20bn profit per year, but since then the overall net profit in 8 years is $1.4bn.  The highest was $9.4bn in 2018, and the lowest obviously the 2020 loss of $20.3bn.

I suppose there must be something to be said for taking many of the functions of BP out of their hands and putting them into the charge of Boris Johnson and his successors.  It's not a case I would like to make, though.  Going from coronavirus right back to the R100/R101 airships, the government has an abysmal record of developing technology and scientific advances compared with private organisations.

• Like 1

On 28/04/2022 at 01:15, FoxesDeb said:

EU Funding.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still an absolutely terrible deal given inflation and rising interest rates, but 1.5% savings at Chase and 1% cashback on all spending is best on the market. Use my referral link for £20 cash for both of us. If anyone uses it i'll give you £10 of the £20 i get.

Hey, want to join me at Chase UK? We'll both get £20 when you join and pay in £20. Get started: https://link.go.chase/emNK/refer?code=wlwisI6Q. T&Cs apply.

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Filled up the work van last night, 183p for Diesel:jawdrop:

Won't be long until we go over to electric ones at this rate, which will then no doubt be hit by rising energy prices and an additional VAT hit as well.

I've suddenly noticed fully electric vans driving round - an Amazon one yesterday and a DPD one today. Quite big ones too, is this a new thing?