Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

37 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I've suddenly noticed fully electric vans driving round - an Amazon one yesterday and a DPD one today. Quite big ones too, is this a new thing?

Fairly new, but becoming more and more common everyday.

For huge companies it probably offsets their negative carbon footprint etc. aswell. Vans can just be left on charge overnight or when not in use, so a full range everyday too.

18 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Just a question…Are you all feeling this cost of living crisis in the UK..,,

Or will it only really click in at End of year, energy & house bills….??

Or is it Media over-hype..?

Nah feeling it here. The food and energy hike again in October is scary.

29 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Its coming but hasn't hit yet and is mainly a media frenzy. The power companies have increased their prices in advance of a gas price increase which is unfair on the consumer.

An interesting article came up on my feed today:

https://news.sky.com/story/the-surreal-but-also-real-problem-of-britains-gas-glut-12614797

19 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Definitely not media hype for once.All the things you need to function have gone up 10 to 20% and rising.Food for example,every visit to the supermarket and it seems that at least a few items have gone up.Meat price’s seem to rise every couple of months or so.I fear that for millions this winter there won’t be a choice between eating or heating.We won’t be able to afford either.

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I've suddenly noticed fully electric vans driving round - an Amazon one yesterday and a DPD one today. Quite big ones too, is this a new thing?

The range on the vans are shite unless you go for something light or expensive. A decent sized vito is about £50K and has 100 odd miles of range. We looked at some for work when I was putting together the EV scheme

On a general point I think the govt know they will have to step in, but leaving it a bit longer, once the NI semi reversal hits in July and some people get their £150 back from council tax they will swoop in I suspect by late summer an announce a raft of support. I dont think its particularly well targeted, there will be some winners and losers like the furlough scheme

34 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Definitely feeling it, no hype needed.

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

Feeling it. My 12 month fixed gas and electric is coming to an end in a few weeks (currently £82 per month), I can go flexible at £146 per month or fix in at £185 for 12 months, more than double what I pay

Everything at Aldi is 10-15% more than it was a couple of months back, so I've cut back on snacks and little things like switching from the nice coffee (£2.50 a bag) to the standard rubbish, which is half the price

Even little things like my annual garden waste bill has gone up from £41 to £50 for the same service. I already scrimp to try and put away a little bit per month, but now it's going to be scrimp so I can afford to live, or try and find a Saturday or Sunday job to just try and continue to save a little. There must be a good chunk of people already really in trouble who will be absolutely desperate by the next energy price cap review

Luckily I don't need to drive much as I work from home 80% of the time, so that's one area that hasn't really affected me much. Drive less, and be more frugal when I do

• Like 1

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts/#hsbcswitch

Change to HSBC and they'll give you £170 within 30 days. Just done it, worth it for that amount of cash.

'To qualify for your £170 welcome bonus, you must:

• Switch your current account to us using the Current Account Switch Service, including at least 2 Direct Debits or standing orders

• Start your switch within 30 days of opening your account

• Deposit at least £1,500 into your new account within 60 days of opening

You will not qualify for the offer if:

• you've had an HSBC current account since 1 January 2019
  • you've opened a first direct current account since 1 January 2019

We'll pay your welcome bonus into your account within 30 days of you meeting all the eligibility criteria. '

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 1

On 16/05/2022 at 11:42, grobyfox1990 said:

Still an absolutely terrible deal given inflation and rising interest rates, but 1.5% savings at Chase and 1% cashback on all spending is best on the market. Use my referral link for £20 cash for both of us. If anyone uses it i'll give you £10 of the £20 i get.

Hey, want to join me at Chase UK? We'll both get £20 when you join and pay in £20. Get started: https://link.go.chase/emNK/refer?code=wlwisI6Q. T&Cs apply.

Thanks! Just joined with your link and got the free £20 instantly!

Getting cashback on a debit card is pretty rare here, and the 1.5% is a lot better than what I'm currently getting.

• Like 2

The 150 rebate was discussed this morning on Leic radio.  How the expert claims that 150 makes "a massive difference" in tackling a weekly increase of around 30 quid on an electric prepay meter I have no idea.

The 150 is peanuts.  An insult.  

As more people end their fixed deals and end up on the flexi rates the more it will hit home.  Pile on the increased NI contributions, increases in fuel, foods and council tax, it doesn't look great.

But, the 150, it goes nowhere in addressing these issues, nowhere at all.

not least, i'm £90 a month Worse off after the national insurance rise!  I'm not eligible for the £150 or the council tax discount..... but by the same token, i don't think it will make much of a difference to those that desperately do need it. 

2 hours ago, reporterpenguin said:

Thanks! Just joined with your link and got the free £20 instantly!

Getting cashback on a debit card is pretty rare here, and the 1.5% is a lot better than what I'm currently getting.

Cool. As soon as my £20 is in I’ll message you for your details to give you an extra tenner 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Parafox said:

The last time I filled the car with fuel for a long trip it cost £60'ish. Filled up last weekend to drive to France... £105! :jawdrop:

I drove from Leicester to Portsmouth . there to Bognor and back home again and it cost me £70. 

18 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

not least, i'm £90 a month Worse off after the national insurance rise!  I'm not eligible for the £150 or the council tax discount..... but by the same token, i don't think it will make much of a difference to those that desperately do need it. 

Same boat

• Like 1

Gotta love BBC news for explaining inflation to us:

Inflation is the rate at which prices are rising. For example, if a bottle of milk costs £1 and that rises by 9p, then milk inflation is 9%.

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

We need riots like the Poll Tax ones, the Government will do piss all about it. I really feel for those on the breadline or near the bottom of the pile, especially those that already work and do what they can.

Agreed. Let's bring back the poll tax. A much fairer system than what we have now. 

On 18/05/2022 at 07:39, jonthefox said:

I drove from Leicester to Portsmouth . there to Bognor and back home again and it cost me £70. 

Petrol or garages are exploiting the current petrol prices. I live in Norfolk and just over a week ago I paid £1.64 at Tesco and other garages in the same area were around £1.68. I look at the commodities market daily and the price of Brent Crude has been around $112 per barrel for a week or two and today $113, yet all the garages have increased their prices to £1.89, how can they justify an increase of 20p per litre when the Brent Price has not really changed. I think it calls fo an urgent inquiry.

• Thanks 1