Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

10 minutes ago, Fox1norfolk said:

Petrol or garages are exploiting the current petrol prices. I live in Norfolk and just over a week ago I paid £1.64 at Tesco and other garages in the same area were around £1.68. I look at the commodities market daily and the price of Brent Crude has been around $112 per barrel for a week or two and today $113, yet all the garages have increased their prices to £1.89, how can they justify an increase of 20p per litre when the Brent Price has not really changed. I think it calls fo an urgent inquiry.

Gas is the same, this is where the government should be focusing it's efforts.

26 minutes ago, Fox1norfolk said:

Petrol or garages are exploiting the current petrol prices. I live in Norfolk and just over a week ago I paid £1.64 at Tesco and other garages in the same area were around £1.68. I look at the commodities market daily and the price of Brent Crude has been around $112 per barrel for a week or two and today $113, yet all the garages have increased their prices to £1.89, how can they justify an increase of 20p per litre when the Brent Price has not really changed. I think it calls fo an urgent inquiry.

A significant proportion of what we pay at the pump will be taxes and so any increase or decrease in oil prices will have a less obvious effect. Also I believe many companies lock in contracts for products early (hedging). 

On 17/05/2022 at 14:44, Leicester_Loyal said:

Fairly new, but becoming more and more common everyday.

For huge companies it probably offsets their negative carbon footprint etc. aswell. Vans can just be left on charge overnight or when not in use, so a full range everyday too.

lots of big boys as they need to reach carbon targets…. Will be a big part of their ‘story’ to shareholders 

Anyone seeking ISO accreditation (impacts SME)…. They have to get eco brownie points too…

1 hour ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

What do you do? 

Structural engineer.

My guess is the developer market and public sector will stay strong, but the home residential alteration work will pretty much go.

Suspect it will be a shit 12 months then once it's better we can get taxed through the nose to pay for it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Had some trades quote for some alteration work I wanted, 4 months ago, most came back with silly prices which I ignored. In the past 2-3 weeks they have all come crawling back wondering if I still need it doing? My initial response was the quote was too expensive and they all want to take a look to see if they can reprice? Is anyone else experiencing this?

I think most if not all the trades have ben erning big money from 2019 to now, there has been the demand - and a lot of which has also been cash in hand, but I suspect as consumer belts tighten with the cost of living crisis people are keeping their money in the bank incase the boiler goes rather than fitting out a new bathroom. Hopefully this will normalise some of the prices they have been charging these past few years.  

Not yet but I hope so. I need my whole house renovating, have had various people come to give an estimate, then been ghosted, or have come and tried it on, quoting much higher than others for the same work. My guess is that a lot of them have just been picking and choosing easy work and can't be arsed with the rigmarole of sorting out a whole house like mine, so ideally the cost of living makes other potential customers pause their ideas so I can finally get the work done at a "reasonable" price -

My guess is that in a scenario such as we are experiencing, cost of materials is up, but labour would likely be less if there's less demand, so the total cost for a job is pretty much unaffected? 

2 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Had some trades quote for some alteration work I wanted, 4 months ago, most came back with silly prices which I ignored. In the past 2-3 weeks they have all come crawling back wondering if I still need it doing? My initial response was the quote was too expensive and they all want to take a look to see if they can reprice? Is anyone else experiencing this?

I think most if not all the trades have ben erning big money from 2019 to now, there has been the demand - and a lot of which has also been cash in hand, but I suspect as consumer belts tighten with the cost of living crisis people are keeping their money in the bank incase the boiler goes rather than fitting out a new bathroom. Hopefully this will normalise some of the prices they have been charging these past few years.  

Lots of my mates are trades, they have been lapping it up for a good few years now, some ridiculous prices quoted to myself which meant I didn't get the work done. 

Unfortunately for them the residential market that has been utterly booming recently will be the 1st to come to a standstill . People are preparing for a difficult future and rightly so. 

Edited by Lako42

15 hours ago, kenny said:

Structural engineer.

My guess is the developer market and public sector will stay strong, but the home residential alteration work will pretty much go.

Suspect it will be a shit 12 months then once it's better we can get taxed through the nose to pay for it.

I’m booked out until the end of august, all though I’ve not had as much activity in enquiries as I’ve been getting for extra work.

I’m not overly concerned yet.

3 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Prices have gone up, but so have our material prices: Copper comes from China. Plaster was at a premium after they closed down the factory in Lount at the start of the pandemic. 

And that’s before HS2 bulk buying pushing everything up through the roof even more so. A type of gravel has risen by £1000 a tonne 

Its probably quite unfair to assume trades are having peoples pants down just because your quotes are high.

Im not saying trades haven’t had a good amount of work or anything- it’s been mental since the pandemic. But having it go from mental to dead so abruptly is very worrying (lost my apprenticeship in the 2009 recession) particularly when we have the same bill increases as everyone else is facing. 

Edited by The Year Of The Fox

34 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Prices have gone up, but so have our material prices: Copper comes from China. Plaster was at a premium after they closed down the factory in Lount at the start of the pandemic. 

And that’s before HS2 bulk buying pushing everything up through the roof even more so. A type of gravel has risen by £1000 a tonne 

Its probably quite unfair to assume trades are having peoples pants down just because your quotes are high.

Im not saying trades haven’t had a good amount of work or anything- it’s been mental since the pandemic. But having it go from mental to dead so abruptly is very worrying (lost my apprenticeship in the 2009 recession) particularly when we have the same bill increases as everyone else is facing. 

I agree material prices have gone up - no doubt about that, I often ask for a split of the quote and also happy to buy the materials I need. When it’s labour only I have been quoted upwards of £250 a day CASH. Not on 

2 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Sad reality.

Less and less people going into city centres for one, then eating a cake and a cuppa for £6 or whatever when you can get the same thing for 50p at home.

Takeaways, meals out, trips to the pub, the football, the cinema, these will all be the first things to go, and people like the bloke in the video will be the ones caught in the crossfire.

And all this is before you even consider gas, elec and petrol bills of his own will be going up.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Takeaways, meals out, trips to the pub, the football, the cinema, these will all be the first things to go, and people like the bloke in the video will be the ones caught in the crossfire.

Yep. I had a takeaway last night as I really couldn't be arsed to cook, then realised it was probably £3 more than it would have cost a month ago and thought I wouldn't be able justify doing this when my energy bill nearly doubles next month

3 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Not yet but I hope so. I need my whole house renovating, have had various people come to give an estimate, then been ghosted, or have come and tried it on, quoting much higher than others for the same work. My guess is that a lot of them have just been picking and choosing easy work and can't be arsed with the rigmarole of sorting out a whole house like mine, so ideally the cost of living makes other potential customers pause their ideas so I can finally get the work done at a "reasonable" price -

My guess is that in a scenario such as we are experiencing, cost of materials is up, but labour would likely be less if there's less demand, so the total cost for a job is pretty much unaffected? 

I agree with your final statement. Materials aren’t going to go down. Labour will become more competitive but ultimately you get what you pay for. 

We’ve been forward paying on some projects to get the materials in at the lowest price we can. In the commercial world I’m in, there’s a situation where the governments ‘green’ push is increasing prices as well. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I agree material prices have gone up - no doubt about that, I often ask for a split of the quote and also happy to buy the materials I need. When it’s labour only I have been quoted upwards of £250 a day CASH. Not on 

£250 was the going rate before the pandemic. Two plumbers I’m mates with charge £350 a day. Both locally too. Though I admit I find that price a heck of a lot. Maybe I’m just jealous 😂

Edited by The Year Of The Fox

14 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

£250 was the going rate before the pandemic. Two plumbers I’m mates with charge £350 a day. Both locally too. Though I admit I find that price a heck of a lot. Maybe I’m just jealous 😂

£250 a day is the going rate in my trade, you could get more and some do but I prefer not to bite the hand that feeds. Think they’ll be the first to fall on hard times if and when it slows.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

My gut is that Labour price isn’t bad. 

• Like 3

On 18/05/2022 at 17:37, Izzy said:

Gotta love BBC news for explaining inflation to us:

Inflation is the rate at which prices are rising. For example, if a bottle of milk costs £1 and that rises by 9p, then milk inflation is 9%.

Yes we poor pundits Never Left the Infant school...

• Haha 1