Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

I’m not saying £250 cash is massively over priced for a plumber or electrician but I’m talking about a bricklayer plasterer etc. 

£250 a day cash is £5k in your pocket at the end of the month. That’s an £80k salary - equivalent of a decent solicitor etc. 

9 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I’m not saying £250 cash is massively over priced for a plumber or electrician but I’m talking about a bricklayer plasterer etc. 

£250 a day cash is £5k in your pocket at the end of the month. That’s an £80k salary - equivalent of a decent solicitor etc. 

Thats what tradesman are on now. Its only Emily Thornberry that believes that those in dirty clothes are poorly paid.

As young people are encouraged into 'cleaner', 'better educated' careers, the value/cost of tradesman will rise.

Salaries for trades will come down a bit this year but they are going to continue to go up as people retire and aren't replaced.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Yeah honestly, that’s about the going rate. The days of only making decent money by going to university are over really. 

It is crazy, don’t get me wrong. I only earn a bit less than my solicitor mate, (though nothing like £80k 😂😂)but don’t have the student loan to pay back 

Edited by The Year Of The Fox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rachhere said:

From that they surely have to pay for tools, insurance, pay for own pensions etc. and then work which doesn’t earn money like going out to give quotes, shopping for supplies, paperwork. Obviously they are doing pretty well for themselves but it’s not the same has having a salary and benefits 

Generally I agree with this post however, we recently had work done at home by a tradesman and he went off site to buy "supplies" and charged us for the time it took him (2 hours). I guess this is the norm but I did feel a bit like "I wonder what else he's doing whilst not working on our place, bacon cobs, giving a quote to another customer" . Who knows. Also he produced a receipt to show what he'd bought and it was for polypipe and connections. Surely that's something a decent plumber/bathroom fitter would have on board?

42 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Yeah honestly, that’s about the going rate. The days of only making decent money by going to university are over really. 

It is crazy, don’t get me wrong. I only earn a bit less than my solicitor mate, (though nothing like £80k 😂😂)but don’t have the student loan to pay back 

You will earn double than the average structural engineer or architect!

37 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Generally I agree with this post however, we recently had work done at home by a tradesman and he went off site to buy "supplies" and charged us for the time it took him (2 hours). I guess this is the norm but I did feel a bit like "I wonder what else he's doing whilst not working on our place, bacon cobs, giving a quote to another customer" . Who knows. Also he produced a receipt to show what he'd bought and it was for polypipe and connections. Surely that's something a decent plumber/bathroom fitter would have on board?

Nah. You can’t carry one of everything these days 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

While we are on the building topic what is a good alternative to porcelain tiles? I’ve had these outside my bifolds and down the side of the house and it was an absolute fortune - I’ve got a 12m2 patio at the rear I want to do but I’m sourcing them myself - I don’t want to get big standard slabs but something not as costly as porcelain. 

Got a guy lined up for £170 a day all I need to do is supply materials. He’s done work for me before and is spot on, says it will take him 4 days. 

Thanks 

28 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Nah. You can’t carry one of everything these days 

I don’t even drive a van these days, I do it out of an estate car. 
10 years ago I’d have driven a massive van with all the consumables known to man in it but you get penalised at every corner for it now. Fuel prices, Low emissions zones, insurance, can’t park it anywhere and it’s a target for thieves.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

While we are on the building topic what is a good alternative to porcelain tiles? I’ve had these outside my bifolds and down the side of the house and it was an absolute fortune - I’ve got a 12m2 patio at the rear I want to do but I’m sourcing them myself - I don’t want to get big standard slabs but something not as costly as porcelain. 

Got a guy lined up for £170 a day all I need to do is supply materials. He’s done work for me before and is spot on, says it will take him 4 days. 

Thanks 

Can I have his number?

I need my garden doing but I can’t find anyone with availability.

Indian Sandstone?

12 minutes ago, Strokes said:

10 years ago I’d have driven a massive van with all the consumables known to man in it but you get penalised at every corner for it now. Fuel prices, Low emissions zones, insurance, can’t park it anywhere and it’s a target for thieves.

I’m in a van but you only have to flick through a Polypipe catalogue to see the vast range of fittings etc

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Brickies are like rocking horse shit. Particularly good ones and those that work self employed. They can go to and from main contractors on day work, so why go through the hassle of dealing with people whom you have to trust. Alongside the absolute pain trying to deal with cash. I’d honestly have it as a no no. No receipt. No claim back. 

I find the criticism of tradesmen asking for a decent wage on a thread specifically about the raise in cost of living very ironic. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

The lack of stock at building merchants on certain products literally has builders waiting for opening and get their set quota (plaster for example was rationed). Then they have to try to get along to the next merchants to get some. So and so forth. 

4 hours ago, Tommy G said:

thing is, a solicitor ain’t going to build you a wall is he. Times are a changing, anyone can be a solicitor, which, I think, is the problem in the modern world, anyone who wants to learn a trade and work hard can earn big money. No one needs a solicitor but everyone wants a brickie, supply and demand init.

Edited by yorkie1999
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

thing is, a solicitor ain’t going to build you a wall is he. Times are a changing, anyone can be a solicitor, which, I think, is the problem in the modern world, anyone who wants to learn a trade and work hard can earn big money. No one needs a solicitor but everyone wants a brickie, supply and demand init.

‘No one needs a solicitor’ defo not true. A decent solicitor and financial advisor, worth their weight in gold. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tommy G said:

I would class bricklaying and plastering as category A trades.Probably not much use when the boiler packs in on xmas eve,or the electric blows when the entire family’s round for the wkend.Still worth every penny of that 5K a month though if yr desperate to have that extension built.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

‘No one needs a solicitor’ defo not true. A decent solicitor and financial advisor, worth their weight in gold. 

Maybe for people like you trying to smooth money away from the taxman but for  95% of the population , they’re pretty pointless.

4 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Maybe for people like you trying to smooth money away from the taxman but for  95% of the population , they’re pretty pointless.

I’d love to be in a position to smooth significant money away from the taxman. Anyone buying or selling a house will need a good FA and solicitor. A good financial advisor can perform miracles with getting access to mortgage deals. A bad solicitor will break a house purchase 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tommy G said:

20 hours ago, rachhere said:

From that they surely have to pay for tools, insurance, pay for own pensions etc. and then work which doesn’t earn money like going out to give quotes, shopping for supplies, paperwork. Obviously they are doing pretty well for themselves but it’s not the same has having a salary and benefits 

I used to be a subcontractor. £5K a month is what I generally earned which sounds like quite a lot of money but the money in your pocket does not translate to anything equivalent to an £80K salary. I also had to factor in the cost of staying away from home during the week and travel. Once the government decided to step in and make a lot of contracts subject to IR35, I was faced with being no longer able to set off major expenses against tax. It was better to take my employers offer of a permanent job at half that mythical salary.

• Like 2

On 28/05/2022 at 03:30, Strokes said:

I claim my $5

Gavin and Stacey Car Hire on Twitter: "Getting Smithy's actual car ready  for events and promo! What a throwback... Please retweet! @larrylamb47  @jopage_ @RobBrydon @ASteadmanUK @JKCorden https://t.co/pO3eRr5CRA" /  Twitter

• Haha 1