Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

Drove past Beaumont Leys Tesco petrol station at about 1ish. It was 1.67, so thought I’d get some on the way out as I only had 60 miles left. An hour and a half later it’s was 1.69 It was the same petrol as an hour ago, no delivery had happened between that time. It’s madness. I thought petrol pricing was starting to be stable. 

I drive past a BP garage every day to and from work, scary to see the price change daily even twice daily recently.  

Edited by fox_favourite

Bloody in-flay-tee-on (ali g voice).

Over here gas is about $2.11  per litre.

Filled up my honda civic from just under 1/4 tank for $75 the other day. 2 years ago that would cost about $37 or so. Thank fook i work from home.  The wife is driving to work though so essentually the doubling of gas prices is as if we were both driving 2 years ago.

A loaf of regular whole wheat bread was almost $4.  Normally it's around $2.29 on sale or $2.99 regular..  everything is up it's mental. Feel for those who were already pay cheque to pay cheque.

7 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

Can we stop calling it the cost of living crisis?Call it the dirty word that it actually is.
Inflation.

Calling it a crisis let’s our ****wit leaders of the hook for their total lack of competence.

I think with it happening so quickly it is a crisis, and things like fuel prices are really out of the government's hands - if they reduced the duty on fuel then they'd have to add tax elsewhere. I filled up with standard unleaded at Tesco yesterday - £1.81 a litre. Two weeks ago that was £1.65 a litre. Keep noticing pretty much everything in Aldi edging up 5p/10p each week I shop there

5 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I think with it happening so quickly it is a crisis, and things like fuel prices are really out of the government's hands - if they reduced the duty on fuel then they'd have to add tax elsewhere. 

Like taxing the mega rich / tax dodging corps......

Yes, I know it's not that simple but when the very task of getting to work for the normal man is becoming too ****ing expensive then people wont give  damn. 

Plenty of the top 1% making unrivalled money out of this 'crisis' 

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-60053919

Edited by Lako42
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Like taxing the mega rich / tax dodging corps......

Yes, I know it's not that simple but when the very task of getting to work for the normal man is becoming too ****ing expensive then people wont give  damn. 

Plenty of the top 1% making unrivalled money out of this 'crisis' 

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-60053919

Rather than trying to persuade the government to tax people more - which they can easily avoid simply by leaving the country - they need to be persuading their fellow millionaires to do more.  One assumes these particular people are paying large amounts of extra voluntary taxes or (perhaps better) else paying large amounts to charity, to represent the money they feel they ought to be paying in taxes.  They need to persuade their fellows.

But simply telling a billionaire "you must pay £50m additional taxes every year or else leave the country" is likely to generate more emigrations than £50m contributions.  

7 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Rather than trying to persuade the government to tax people more - which they can easily avoid simply by leaving the country - they need to be persuading their fellow millionaires to do more.  One assumes these particular people are paying large amounts of extra voluntary taxes or (perhaps better) else paying large amounts to charity, to represent the money they feel they ought to be paying in taxes.  They need to persuade their fellows.

But simply telling a billionaire "you must pay £50m additional taxes every year or else leave the country" is likely to generate more emigrations than £50m contributions.  

Like I said, I know it's not that simple but not taxing mega wealth and large business appropriately whilst normal people decide weather it's heating or eating is frankly abhorrent. 

Tax is one aspect of making business appealing in any given location, but morally it's right to tax earnings and profit of business correctly. 

You wouldn't approve of the breaking of non financial related laws because it makes the wealthy happy (yea i know it happens)

Edited by Lako42

24 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

And that's fine - let them find somewhere that's more appealing to their sensibilities. 

The Russians, Saudis and Americans live in the Home Counties and London because its pleasant and they can court the Tory party to make it even more pleasant.

In actuality the country revolves around London - where financial trading lives in a small world centred in the Square Mile. It doesn't provide the so called trickle down wealth to us peons scratting around for a reasonable existence.

There are many places in the British Isles that are really no better off than Balkan states. The problem is (whisper it if one dares) c a p I t a l I s m. No billionaire entrepreneur will willingly give away that which he/she has a surfeit of. It's not in their particular psychological make up to part with money.

There are enough authors and enough books out there which reflect on the damage which capitalism wreaks on First World societies and, by association, the Third World. But Yanis Varoufakis is a particularly perceptive commentator on the subject. 

btw Brexit is can attempt to open up the UK to, in particular, to US entrepreneurs. The US is very similar to the UK in its distribution of wealth. The poverty of the Southern states and urban city centres is possibly worse than many of our sink estates. And the violence inherent in American society is a result of the poor realising there's no chance of achieving a decent sol.

Poverty and lack of education are a breeding ground for crime, civil unrest and sickness.

Thatcher began this persecution of the working class. Cameron and Johnson are as distant from understanding the social situation we live in than Windsor is from Burnley. They come from privilege and intend to continue it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So it's okay to tax working and middle Britain more and more, but the moment we suggest doing so to millionaire/billionaires and multi national conglomerates it's not okay?

Strange.

I don't think anyone is saying bring back the 90% income tax threshold, just to make people who should be paying more, pay more. There are many, many rich people who contribute A LOT to our tax system, but many, many others (including corporations) who actively avoid it. That lost revenue is picked up by us mugs.

There may be a few who up sticks and leave, but it's also weird that Brexiteers who fervently decided our country needed to be hung by noose don't mind slamming the door behind companies who have left due to the restrictions imposed on them by our choice.

• Like 2

The same people that have cried about 'Project Fear' for the last 6 years will tell you in the same breath that hiking corporate taxes, or even just more rigidly enforcing existing tax levels, will turn us into Cuba overnight.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

The same people that have cried about 'Project Fear' for the last 6 years will tell you in the same breath that hiking corporate taxes, or even just more rigidly enforcing existing tax levels, will turn us into Cuba overnight.

Or Venezuela.

It's darkly humorous that those tax dodgers

think that not paying tax will help them in the long run anyway. Unless they themselves turn around and fund the right kind of infrastructure projects only governments tend to do, spoiler: it won't.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Like I said, I know it's not that simple but not taxing mega wealth and large business appropriately whilst normal people decide weather it's heating or eating is frankly abhorrent. 

Tax is one aspect of making business appealing in any given location, but morally it's right to tax earnings and profit of business correctly. 

You wouldn't approve of the breaking of non financial related laws because it makes the wealthy happy (yea i know it happens)

You do realise the rate of corporation tax is on the creep in the next few years. Business' that are tax paying will now be facing the prospect of less free cashflow if the remain at the same profit levels, which means less cash for investment, pay rises for its employees etc. The solution is not just to tax businesses more or they will just fvck off elsehwhere to a country that has fairer tax laws. 

I hate the opinion of LETS TAX THE RICH AND THOSE FILTHY LARGE CORPORATIONS THAT DON'T PAY TAX. For every jaw dropping headline of a large firm dodging tax there will be thousands that do pay fairly

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

You do realise the rate of corporation tax is on the creep in the next few years. Business' that are tax paying will now be facing the prospect of less free cashflow if the remain at the same profit levels, which means less cash for investment, pay rises for its employees etc. The solution is not just to tax businesses more or they will just fvck off elsehwhere to a country that has fairer tax laws. 

I hate the opinion of LETS TAX THE RICH AND THOSE FILTHY LARGE CORPORATIONS THAT DON'T PAY TAX. For every jaw dropping headline of a large firm dodging tax there will be thousands that do pay fairly

And of course, what is "fair" in this regard is entirely subjective.

One wonders how places with more "unfair" tax laws and yet still-functioning OECD government apparatus work at all.

Been for an interview for a job offering working from home whenever I want to. Granted the salary slightly is higher than my current salary, but working from the office 5 days a week with the current fuel prices is just unnecessary for a job you can do from anywhere.

I'm not even unhappy at my current workplace but the money saved on fuel and the flexibility has made my mind up for going for the other role.

I imagine this will be the case for many others in the coming months if the prices keep going the same way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

We are in a mess.

Just paid £69 to fill up for 3/4 of a tank, thank God I don't do many miles to work.

Is that the world collective WE because I’m currently in Italy and both Petrol and Diesel are higher here than in the Uk, weirdly petrol more than diesel 

7 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Is that the world collective WE because I’m currently in Italy and both Petrol and Diesel are higher here than in the Uk, weirdly petrol more than diesel 

Yes.

But we also have the disadvantage of an idiot as a PM, heading a party who has no clue what to do about the situation.

• Like 3