Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

6 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Price of fuel atm is an absolute disgrace. They need to cut the tax on it and fast or we will be seriously screwed with the knock on price increase it will cause other industries.

I've started biking to work 

Free

• Like 1

On 27/05/2022 at 21:19, yorkie1999 said:

thing is, a solicitor ain’t going to build you a wall is he. Times are a changing, anyone can be a solicitor, which, I think, is the problem in the modern world, anyone who wants to learn a trade and work hard can earn big money. No one needs a solicitor but everyone wants a brickie, supply and demand init.

No Solicitor who is earning £80k is dependant on Joe Public instructing them. The demand, especially since March 2020 for a good lawyer is astronomical and will continue to be for some time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

My missus started biking everywhere now within reason. The cost to fill up the tank is absolutely eye watering. Don't know how anyone can defend what is happening in the name of unfetted greed by those at the very top. I'd get it if profits were plummeting but they're increasing more than ever. It's sickening. 

It's an absolute disgrace. The weekly food shop has gone up about 20 quid but the supermarkets are making massive profits. Its all a con.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What annoys me about the petrol crisis is the rate at the change as well. Seeing pricing change in a day even within an hour when there was no delivery in between shows that it’s a con. It’s so frustrating and it seems to be getting out of control and surely not sustainable. I thought April showed some stability in pricing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adam said:

It's an absolute disgrace. The weekly food shop has gone up about 20 quid but the supermarkets are making massive profits. Its all a con.

Sainsbury's in the year to March 2022 made a total profit of £677 million on income of just over £30 billion.  That's about 2% profit.  Their profit is £10 per head of population, or based on a market share of 15%, or based on a 15% market share, £67 per consumer.  £1.30 per consumer per week.

The £20 isn't going into supermarket pockets.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, adam said:

Supermarkets are a notoriously cut throat industry in the uk, barely any money to be made. Typical profit margins of 2-3% so I’m told. The fact they’re maintaining this margin during this once in a generation crisis raises some questions for sure, to which I’m not sure of the answer. Profits of course accrue after the massive executive salaries 

Getting absolutely stung on the petrol - my commute is mercifully short, but frustratingly just that bit too far to cycle and no option other than to use my car.

Bought my car years ago when in old job that I could walk to, only intending to use it for longer trips when its gas guzzling tendencies would be less keenly felt.

No wonder I felt so well off during the pandemic. Only real silver lining is I've got a good excuse not to drive over to the in-laws as often

Edited by Bellend Sebastian
Unforgivable misuse of apostrophe

11 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Getting absolutely stung on the petrol - my commute is mercifully short, but frustratingly just that bit too far to cycle and no option other than to use my car.

Bought my car years ago when in old job that I could walk to, only intending to use it for longer trips when its gas guzzling tendencies would be less keenly felt.

No wonder I felt so well off during the pandemic. Only real silver lining is I've got a good excuse not to drive over to the in-laws as often

Met a new colleague yesterday who was cycling 40 miles each way to and from work. I think mainly because he enjoys it, but crazy distances! 

Anyhow, I am so grateful we aren't reliant on our car for work - the prices are just crazy right now. 

25 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

There are so many short journeys made by car. I don’t blame people for this. I do wish there were more cheap, reliable and integrated bus services in our cities and towns. In my own town bus services have declined so much. 

The banks and commodity traders doing a round of co ordinated media messaging talking up the oil prices is not going to help. Proper cartel like behaviour given they probably all have exposure to short term rises. Trafigura posting a half year profit of $2.7bn today as well, likely a lot to do with oil price fluctuations but yeh THERES NOTHING WE CAN DO ABOUT IT

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

There are so many short journeys made by car. I don’t blame people for this. I do wish there were more cheap, reliable and integrated bus services in our cities and towns. In my own town bus services have declined so much. 

I tell you it's a godsend living in Birmingham where there are a couple of city rail lines. 

When I go back Leicester, I have been using the Soulsby bikes to get around. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I tell you it's a godsend living in Birmingham where there are a couple of city rail lines. 

When I go back Leicester, I have been using the Soulsby bikes to get around. 

The thing is people who have only lived in Birmingham would say our transport system isn't very good! I don't drive (although husband does) and I never really feel like I am at that much of a disadvantage. 

38 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Met a new colleague yesterday who was cycling 40 miles each way to and from work. I think mainly because he enjoys it, but crazy distances! 

Anyhow, I am so grateful we aren't reliant on our car for work - the prices are just crazy right now. 

Crikey, that's commitment, I wonder how long it takes? I'd cheerily cycle to work but the picking up/dropping off of kids means the window for travel is that bit too small. I was cycling most days until they moved the office a couple of miles further away from where I live.

21 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Absolutely, although I do think there are a lot of car journeys made where people might as well have walked. When I lived and worked in town, I had a journey of about 2 miles, which I could walk in just under half an hour. If I drove, I'd save 10 minutes at best, and quite often, if traffic was bad, it would be the same or even quicker to walk. I know loads of people that wouldn't entertain walking that sort of distance in a million years

• Like 3

It really kills the car reliant self-employed person - if one does simple accounting, one can claim 45p per business mile against profits, and 25p after 10,000 miles, and this hasn't gone up in years. Given the fuel prices, that's essentially a punishment by omission. 

Edited by HighPeakFox
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Crikey, that's commitment, I wonder how long it takes? I'd cheerily cycle to work but the picking up/dropping off of kids means the window for travel is that bit too small. I was cycling most days until they moved the office a couple of miles further away from where I live.

Absolutely, although I do think there are a lot of car journeys made where people might as well have walked. When I lived and worked in town, I had a journey of about 2 miles, which I could walk in just under half an hour. If I drove, I'd save 10 minutes at best, and quite often, if traffic was bad, it would be the same or even quicker to walk. I know loads of people that wouldn't entertain walking that sort of distance in a million years

Agreed. I used to walk a fair distance to work before I retired. Then walked 2 flights of stairs to office. Would often see younger and no health conditions colleagues walk 30 yards from car park and then take the lift! 

1 hour ago, Foxdiamond said:

Agreed. I used to walk a fair distance to work before I retired. Then walked 2 flights of stairs to office. Would often see younger and no health conditions colleagues walk 30 yards from car park and then take the lift! 

And pay for a gym subscription to keep looking trim, probably

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

What they take is a joke, absolutely raking it in through the duty and VAT

1537065456_Screenshot2022-06-10at14_36_54.thumb.png.15563d9ff4e0750019e6fd4589eea6fd.png

As a revenue creator it's already a goldmine for the government. Time has come for an income tax cut and reduction in VAT.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

It really kills the car reliant self-employed person - if one does simple accounting, on can claim 45p per business mile against profits, and 25p after 10,000 miles, and this hasn't gone up in years. Given the fuel prices, that's essentially a punishment by omission. 

It also kills you if you travel for work... We live in Ashby and my Wife does a regional role for work and has to drive to Exeter once a week.  With the amount she can claim on Mileage, it actually costs us out of our back pocket £50 each time. that's £200 a month we are paying, for the pleasure of her doing her job....  She has a company car, so the mileage amount you can claim is minimal.

nothing we can really do about it either, as the government set the mileage rate. 

Edited by Greg2607

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

It really kills the car reliant self-employed person - if one does simple accounting, on can claim 45p per business mile against profits, and 25p after 10,000 miles, and this hasn't gone up in years. Given the fuel prices, that's essentially a punishment by omission. 

Self employed people can claim the full cost of their business motoring. The 45p isn't relevant. (They have to make a deduction for the private element of their travel.)

Employed people can claim whatever their employer is willing to pay, but 45p is the maximum that HMRC will allow tax-free unless you can prove that it is actually costing more.

Edited by dsr-burnley

I have a 64 mile round trip to the office every day. Had to speak to my boss today about going back to working from home to cut down on petrol costs (thankfully he was understanding and agreed that I can do 3-4 days a week at home). Although it's a bit if a false economy situation since it means my home electricity bills will now go up as a result!

The extra cost on my electric bill will he far less than what I'll save on petrol money though.

• Like 1