Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

42 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

It also kills you if you travel for work... We live in Ashby and my Wife does a regional role for work and has to drive to Exeter once a week.  With the amount she can claim on Mileage, it actually costs us out of our back pocket £50 each time. that's £200 a month we are paying, for the pleasure of her doing her job....  She has a company car, so the mileage amount you can claim is minimal.

nothing we can really do about it either, as the government set the mileage rate. 

The current tax-free advisory rate is between 14p and 25p per mile for petrol-only, depending on size of engine.  So a 400 mile round trip would net you (assuming the employer is willing to pay it) between £56 and £100.  

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/advisory-fuel-rates

Edited by dsr-burnley

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

Self employed people can claim the full cost of their business motoring. The 45p isn't relevant. (They have to make a deduction for the private element of their travel.) 

It's entirely relevant if one uses that particular option, which is far simpler than the other way. 

I've been doing this for years, I should know. I'm aware of the deduction of all motoring costs method, and there's no reason to choose that method. 

17 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

It's entirely relevant if one uses that particular option, which is far simpler than the other way. 

I've been doing this for years, I should know. I'm aware of the deduction of all motoring costs method, and there's no reason to choose that method. 

Surely if 45p per mile doesn't cover the cost of driving, then that would be a reason to use the cost of driving as the claimed expense rather than the inadequate 45p?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Surely if 45p per mile doesn't cover the cost of driving, then that would be a reason to use the cost of driving as the claimed expense rather than the inadequate 45p?

I never claimed it doesn't cover the cost of driving - what I said was that the fact it hasn't risen whilst fuel costs have done means it has become worth less, relatively.

The answer to your question is that the other way is less effective for me, given my overall motoring costs annually.

Edited by HighPeakFox

Putting aside the mad rising costs of energy I find the whole tariff malarkey a big con. To think customers of the same company pay different rates for a basic need is wrong. If you went into your local supermarket market as your neighbours and you were charged a different price for a loaf there would outrage. Admit I am a simple soul so perhaps I'm missing something.

On 08/06/2022 at 07:19, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I think with it happening so quickly it is a crisis, and things like fuel prices are really out of the government's hands - if they reduced the duty on fuel then they'd have to add tax elsewhere. I filled up with standard unleaded at Tesco yesterday - £1.81 a litre. Two weeks ago that was £1.65 a litre. Keep noticing pretty much everything in Aldi edging up 5p/10p each week I shop there

They don’t. Budgets were set with revenue from petrol VAT coming in at £X, now its £Y. The exchequer is coining it from fuel rises. Not only could it slash VAT on fuel, not doing so is the most un-Tory thing it could do given they were meant to be the party of the economy and low taxes.

Their inaction in the face of a true crisis shows that this administration doesn’t have a clue what it stands for or how to go about achieving it.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

While we're at it: why have fuel stations always priced fuel with 'point' something.

It feels to me like they're competing to be the most expensive. First one to £2. The Arab state oil producers won't increase production either so we're absolutely stuffed.

6 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

It feels to me like they're competing to be the most expensive. First one to £2. The Arab state oil producers won't increase production either so we're absolutely stuffed.

It'll soon be first to £2.50

£238.9 a litre at a pump in Chelsea :jawdrop:

A service station in Chelsea was seen charging £2.38 per litre on Thursday

• Sad 3

The recent mind-blowing increase in fuel costs has confirmed that our decision 2 weeks ago to just have 1 car now was the right choice. Spending £2750 plus fuel and maintenance running them just wasn't viable. With the OH retiring, we couldn't justify two any more. The replacement car came serviced and Mot'd until May and only £165 for tax.

I'm very grateful I accidentally signed up to a 2 year fixed rate energy in September. We didn't have such things in Northern Ireland. Or water bills, which is another cost.

The new house renovations have obviously cost more than planned, as more work was required and materials increased daily. Having a local shop, in walking distance, on our list of must have's for the new house was also a very good idea. The previous local shop was a 5 mile round trip.

Everything else is getting reviewed regularly.

Edited by FoyleFox

On 10/06/2022 at 15:46, TiffToff88 said:

I have a 64 mile round trip to the office every day. Had to speak to my boss today about going back to working from home to cut down on petrol costs (thankfully he was understanding and agreed that I can do 3-4 days a week at home). Although it's a bit if a false economy situation since it means my home electricity bills will now go up as a result!

The extra cost on my electric bill will he far less than what I'll save on petrol money though.

I’m in the same boat and do a job that would be easier and more productive at home but no sympathy for me unfortunately. I’d consider finding work closer to home but similar roles are paid far less near me. 

9 hours ago, Izzy said:

£238.9 a litre at a pump in Chelsea :jawdrop:

Streuth. And there was me getting miffed I was paying £1.98 a litre coming back from Wales today…but £238.9 a litre is mental. There again, folks are rich in Chelsea.

On 10/06/2022 at 18:04, adam said:

Fuel station in coalville gone up from 189.9 to 195.9 since Tuesday. Shocking rip off.

Was 199.9 when I drove past yesterday.

The Government don't want to do anything about it, they could set max prices etc. But they won't. Cutting fuel duty by a few pence means the fuel stations will just make even more profit, can't see them cutting their prices unless forced to.

This is the cost of COVID (amongst a couple of other things) coming home to roost, was it worth it?

Pretty soon a lot of people aren't going to be able to afford to drive.

40 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I've tried to cut down on it. 

One of the few benefits will be the use of public transport (oh shit I forgot we have a strike there next week) and people walking/cycling more for smaller journeys. 

41 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The Government don't want to do anything about it, they could set max prices etc. But they won't. Cutting fuel duty by a few pence means the fuel stations will just make even more profit, can't see them cutting their prices unless forced to.

This is the cost of COVID (amongst a couple of other things) coming home to roost, was it worth it?

It's an absolute piss take. 

There should definitely be a fuel cap price. 

Nothing seems to be happening and it's going up a few pence every few days.

Im driving to France in a few weeks and its gonna cost an absolute fortune.

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Exactly. We, like many other western economies, ran the economy incredibly hot during covid, pumped in money without thinking to keep everything afloat ‘in the face of this mortal enemy’ and now it’s pay back time. Albeit much quicker than I thought it would be. Does actually really p1ss me off when people believe our inept leadership when they parrot our rhetoric like ‘we are at the mercy of global markets’ ‘it’s the fault of russias illegal war’ etc etc. we made this bed for ourselves, now time to lie in it 

• Like 3