Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

15 hours ago, Parafox said:

It's summer, why would you use a tumble dryer? In the winter/less favourable weather, use an indoor airer placed next to a window if possible In winter pour heating will dry the clothes as well as heating your home. A window will amplify warmth if you have decent glazing and direct sunlight for a few hours. I guess we're fortunate in that we have a south facing bedroom that gets quite a lot of sun throughout the year.

Of course i usually put more washing on the line in the summer but I started in early March which i wouldn't normally.

1 hour ago, fox_favourite said:

You know it’s bad when even Tesco (Hamilton) has diesel for 1.99?!  Esso round the corner was cheaper…well when I say cheaper 1.94. Only filled half a tank this time. :(

I haven't read this thread before, so I'm sure it's been said slready, petrol hasn't changed a penny for me. Costs me 30 a quid a week. (Admittedly I have the option of wfh....which helps that kind if flippancy) 

All told  I was born for a cost of living crisis. I generally don't over enjoy working,  so in my 30 years in the workplace, I've quit jobs willy nilly over the years if i don't fancy it (once quit as I simply fancied a long summer break) Meaning I've had 7 or 8 cost of living crises in my time. 

So basically, I'm well prepped for this. Drive minimally. heating at 18. Pad out basic meals with bread. Put off an evening beer or wine til later in the evening (the relief/hit is amazing having hung on til 9.30pm for a drink). And I can holiday for 600/700 quid if need be (with kids) 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Electric car lease agreement signed. Who wants my diesel that costs £115 to fill? :D

Would rather have a diesel car with no monthly lease costs than an electric lease even at these prices

Chespest form of motoring is the one with no finance costs. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Would rather have a diesel car with no monthly lease costs than an electric lease even at these prices

Chespest form of motoring is the one with no finance costs. 

Works out cheaper with business tax savings 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Works out cheaper with business tax savings 

35 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I’ve not spoken to my accountant yet, what relief do you get?

No co car tax so a free benefit

i was thinking about it but away from tesla (with better range and charging network), i think its too much of a pain at the moment

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

No co car tax so a free benefit

i was thinking about it but away from tesla (with better range and charging network), i think its too much of a pain at the moment

Cheers,

Wouldnt benefit me how I run things then.

I have a car but bought personally and claim back from company. I only run the van through company but don’t use for personal. So I don’t pay tax for benefit in kind.

25 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

The chief executive of Birmingham Airport has been given a 49% pay rise, angering trade unions.

Nick Barton's annual wage has risen from £399,000 to £595,000.

Heathrow's chief executive has received an annual salary increase of 85% to almost £1.5m a year, and the boss at Manchester Airport Group had a pay rise of 25% to £2.5m.

And yet the workers asking for an inflation busting payrise will ruin everything. Behave.

Staggering but just another example of the  inequality between bosses and staff 

33 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

The chief executive of Birmingham Airport has been given a 49% pay rise, angering trade unions.

Heathrow's chief executive has received an annual salary increase of 85% to almost £1.5m a year, and the boss at Manchester Airport Group had a pay rise of 25% to £2.5m.

And yet the workers asking for an inflation busting payrise will ruin everything. Behave.

MAG were handing out redundancies left, right and centre twelve months ago. A complete knowledge drain at East Midlands Airport for example. 

3 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Fvcking obscene. And these CEO's will gladly accept without guilt or compassion. I imagine they get rewarded for meeting targets and cutting costs. We all know what that means...

Who owns the trademark to "You're fired!"? - ColoradoBiz Magazine

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Innovindil said:

This sort of thing doesn’t get corrected without extreme violence and many tears. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Fvcking obscene. And these CEO's will gladly accept without guilt or compassion. I imagine they get rewarded for meeting targets and cutting costs. We all know what that means...

Market forces unfortunately. You want the best leadership talent, you have to pay a premium.

No different in business to football really, it's all about what your responsibilities are. Rodgers earns £10m a year or whatever, where as the people in the club shop/ticket office earn a fraction of that.

It's no more obscene than footballers earning £300k a week and nurses earning £30k a year.

It's frustrating and it's wrong, but I don't ever see it changing.

Something needs to give. At work today and hearing people left right and centre talk about how selfish and pathetic the rail strikes are. I just don't get that way of thinking. How else are people meant to stand up against the capalist machine without bringing it to its knees. The idea that a 7% pay rise is outrageous in this climate baffles me. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Something needs to give. At work today and hearing people left right and centre talk about how selfish and pathetic the rail strikes are. I just don't get that way of thinking. How else are people meant to stand up against the capalist machine without bringing it to its knees. The idea that a 7% pay rise is outrageous in this climate baffles me. 

Worth noting that they weren't furloughed and subject to a 20 % drop in salary like many were.

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Market forces unfortunately. You want the best leadership talent, you have to pay a premium.

No different in business to football really, it's all about what your responsibilities are. Rodgers earns £10m a year or whatever, where as the people in the club shop/ticket office earn a fraction of that.

It's no more obscene than footballers earning £300k a week and nurses earning £30k a year.

It's frustrating and it's wrong, but I don't ever see it changing.

Would someone doing the job for just the 300K be such a dork that the airport could not function. 

40 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

This is the divide and rule that big business and the Tories have been so successful for years.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Would someone doing the job for just the 300K be such a dork that the airport could not function. 

I tend to agree. There is this weird cult of senior businesspeople that only they could lead an organisation. 

Apart from being able to read a financial set of accounts,   I struggle to think of what a ceo offers more than a friendly, half decent middle manager would. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, kenny said:

Worth noting that they weren't furloughed and subject to a 20 % drop in salary like many were.

What point are you trying to make here.  Railway workers were required to carry on working during a pandemic and therefore took the consequent risks that those on furlough did not have to take,  many losing their lifes in the process.   Guess you think essential workers seeing people clap there appreciation outside their house for a few weeks should make up for decent pay.

• Like 4