Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

14 hours ago, Izzy said:

I don't agree that people would do if for much less - I think that's a nice dream to believe.

In the real world, If people are offered big money to do big jobs they usually take it. 

Bashing people for having the right friends or having a good education just smacks of bitterness to me - sorry.

And I also find it a bit hypocritical when people have a pop at CEO's salaries but then quite happily enjoy the goods and services that their companies provide.

P.S. I don't see many on here having a go at Susan Whelan for the salary she receives.

People take big pay packets coz they are offered. Reduce the pay packets (by increasing profit taxes and high income rates) and i guarantee youll get people doing the big jobs as well as theyve been done in the past. Lets remember the geniuses who were running the world in 2008

No-one is bashing people for their education, some (including you by the look of it) may be suggesting that your education may be irrelevant as long as you know the right people. The easy and typical "jealousy" accusation smacks of that same elitism. Let me be very clear, im not jealous of anyone, im offended by absurd corruption and obscene wages.

We all live in this society, its pretty difficult, in fact impossible, not to use the goods and services that are available to us, it doesnt mean that we agree with the way the system is built and continues to exploit.

Susan Whelan is paid too much... by the way... Karen Brady is paid 3x as much as Whelan, is that too much?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

I understand that the average CEO is paid well over 200 times more than their rank and file worker. The ratio was about 20 times in the 1950s and 120 times in 2000. I don't see government particularly the Tories breaking a sweat to change this runaway gap. Yet as soon as a group of workers protest or go on strike they are vilified 

This is easily fixed... simply institute a ruling that the highest paid in an organisation, can only earn.... hmm... lets say 10x the amount of the lowest paid.

So, your cashier earns around $10 per hour... so the CEO of tesco can now earn $100 per hour, I cant be bothered working out how many hours they would have to work to "earn" their actual $6 million  pay packet.

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 1

Well if you earned £100 ph, on a standard 7-8 hour day, that's going to add up to around £190,000 per year. 

Which is around 7 times the average UK salary (ish) - though we take into account the fact that the reason the average salary is about £27k is because there are a few billionaires dragging the average right up, so I'd say the average is probably closer to £23k. 

Considering some of the shit I've had to do for a job that was barely above minimum wage, full time, I think £200k for top earners is not unreasonable. 

As I said before - just have a rule that says top salary of £3 million in the country. Simple. Nobody needs more than that. 

• Like 2

As above, I think something like a ceiling of 3 million a year is a fair ceiling.

I wouldnt be a Tesco CEO for £200k a year considering the huge responsibility and workload, I doubt the CEO of Tesco is ever switched off at anytime during their tenure either.

10 minutes ago, Nalis said:

As above, I think something like a ceiling of 3 million a year is a fair ceiling.

I wouldnt be a Tesco CEO for £200k a year considering the huge responsibility and workload, I doubt the CEO of Tesco is ever switched off at anytime during their tenure either.

A ceiling would be useless, would please the masses but loopholes would be found immediately 

Weekly shop has gone up by a few quid now. Doing a list now, only buying what I need, much less wastage that way.

Petrol is silly, but can't really drive less, could cycle to work but tbh after a 12 hour night shift where I'm soaked, that's the last thing I'd want to do.

Easiest cutback for me is less booze and takeaways, better for my health and fitness aswell.

Gonna have to do slightly less football and slightly less boozing this season, simply can't justify it (first world problems I know).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Weekly shop has gone up by a few quid now. Doing a list now, only buying what I need, much less wastage that way.

Petrol is silly, but can't really drive less, could cycle to work but tbh after a 12 hour night shift where I'm soaked, that's the last thing I'd want to do.

Easiest cutback for me is less booze and takeaways, better for my health and fitness aswell.

Gonna have to do slightly less football and slightly less boozing this season, simply can't justify it (first world problems I know).

Same here, probably more so the takeaways 

On 27/06/2022 at 00:56, grobyfox1990 said:

A ceiling would be useless, would please the masses but loopholes would be found immediately 

If the government were serious about change, loopholes can be closed just as quickly.

Anyone else wonder why the fuel price (in this case diesel) had crept up sometimes twice daily every day for over a month but have now sat at the same price (in this case 199.99) for over 2 weeks now, this makes me think they either getting us used to this figure in readiness to push the £2 mark or the fuel prices have actually dropped within that 2 week period but think fec it we’ll keep it here now we are here as the mugs are paying it.

9 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Anyone else wonder why the fuel price (in this case diesel) had crept up sometimes twice daily every day for over a month but have now sat at the same price (in this case 199.99) for over 2 weeks now, this makes me think they either getting us used to this figure in readiness to push the £2 mark or the fuel prices have actually dropped within that 2 week period but think fec it we’ll keep it here now we are here as the mugs are paying it.

^ correct

12 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Don't worry all the savings will go into executive bonuses not raising wages. Thats how economy works after all.

Petrol and diesel prices being high suits the government, they are clawing back more of the covid money quicker due to the increased fuel duties. We've got to pay for furlough somehow and this is the quickest way to get that money without raising personal taxes. Utility prices are a scam though, an absolute cartel now and ofgem needs more power to stop them 

On 26/06/2022 at 07:53, fox_up_north said:

As I said before - just have a rule that says top salary of £3 million in the country. Simple. Nobody needs more than that. 

What if you run your own successful company and want to pay yourself a (very) big bonus?

4 minutes ago, Monk said:

What if you run your own successful company and want to pay yourself a (very) big bonus?

If you could afford to do that then maybe you could sit down and think about how you only got to that position through the hard work and good will of all of those around you, stop acting selfishly, and spread your (very) big bonus out across the company.

Greedy bosses always fall into volcanoes or get eaten by dinosaurs in films - there’s something else to think about.

3 minutes ago, Daggers said:

If you could afford to do that then maybe you could sit down and think about how you only got to that position through the hard work and good will of all of those around you, stop acting selfishly, and spread your (very) big bonus out across the company.

Greedy bosses always fall into volcanoes or get eaten by dinosaurs in films - there’s something else to think about.

It’s all relative. People on £3m will think it’s peanuts based on the company they keep. Traders at mid level (glorified window salesmen, nothing but facilitators of transactions, an unskilled job anyone could do) routinely quit if their take home is less than £1m genuinely thinking they’ve been wronged 

33 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Yep agreed and there are a good few businesses that distribute profits to staff, though not enough.

I'm part of a business owners group and know several people doing 7 figures with a very small team of mostly admin people. eg. a couple of prolific youtubers, a few people who run online courses for businesses. What are they to do with the wealth they have built in their companies.

I think a salary cap is a silly idea. Tax the heck out of it, but don't cap it.

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

We're not mugs though. We have no choice. There's no direct competition. It's a cartel and the government will allow it to continue because of the tax revenue as someone else pointed out 

On 29/06/2022 at 18:43, Cardiff_Fox said:

Same here, probably more so the takeaways 

I love a treat at the end of the week be it Friday or Saturday depending on plans.

But we had a Chinese last week and it's gone from about 38-45 quid to closer to 60 since we last had one. They even bashed a new menu in the bag with all the price increases. Definitely gonna have to reconsider how often we have that treat. Local Indian has increased prices as well. Hoping the Turkish can keep prices reasonable as that's gonna have to be the go to as it stands.

2 hours ago, Bayfox said:

I love a treat at the end of the week be it Friday or Saturday depending on plans.

But we had a Chinese last week and it's gone from about 38-45 quid to closer to 60 since we last had one. They even bashed a new menu in the bag with all the price increases. Definitely gonna have to reconsider how often we have that treat. Local Indian has increased prices as well. Hoping the Turkish can keep prices reasonable as that's gonna have to be the go to as it stands.

What are you buying and how many are buying for? Chinese for 3 last night... £15:50. Basic. Nice too. No left-overs. 

48 minutes ago, Parafox said:

What are you buying and how many are buying for? Chinese for 3 last night... £15:50. Basic. Nice too. No left-overs. 

****ing hell I must move closer to your Chinese. I can spend 20 quid on my own. 

Soup, ribs, main dish, rice, no change from 20 quid there. Never see much change from 40 when there's 4 of us. But 60 quid was a shocker. Most places near us have added about 2 quid a dish on recently.