Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

19 minutes ago, Lionator said:

By who?

Did you even watch the video? 

Yep. 

Have also done a bit of reading. First he says in his video “we are facing a potential national financial cataclysm” then he goes on to say on his twitter replies “I really really hope I’m wrong” 

So for a start if it’s only “potential” why even come out and say all of this? What’s it going to achieve apart from making people worry? 

To then reply to someone “I really really hope I’m wrong” suggests to me this is more of an educated guess then actual fact of the matter. 

So yeah, I would say that’s scaremongering. 

16 minutes ago, Bert said:

Yep. 

Have also done a bit of reading. First he says in his video “we are facing a potential national financial cataclysm” then he goes on to say on his twitter replies “I really really hope I’m wrong” 

So for a start if it’s only “potential” why even come out and say all of this? What’s it going to achieve apart from making people worry? 

To then reply to someone “I really really hope I’m wrong” suggests to me this is more of an educated guess then actual fact of the matter. 

I think he’s trying to find a balance between really emphasising the scale of what we face to policy makers whilst not causing individuals to fall into despair. Everything he said is sadly logical and he is right to raise it because it’s somehow not being taken seriously enough so far. 

Martin Lewis has made his career by helping people to be money savvy and make better financial decisions. He prides himself in being able to help the every day person in the street navigate whatever challenges life throws at them. A few months ago he had to turn round and say ‘I have nothing left - I have given all the advice I can, but for many it’s not enough without policy intervention’. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

These are the bands

image.png.7c9f79d616ca22489d492d5dc2cdcac7.png

So you would add another between 80k to 150k? Be better to add a 5% extra at the current additonal rate surely?

You also repay the personal allowance between 100 and 125 putting it at a pseudo 60%ish between those bands then dropping back to 45%.

28 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I think he’s trying to find a balance between really emphasising the scale of what we face to policy makers whilst not causing individuals to fall into despair. Everything he said is sadly logical and he is right to raise it because it’s somehow not being taken seriously enough so far. 

Martin Lewis has made his career by helping people to be money savvy and make better financial decisions. He prides himself in being able to help the every day person in the street navigate whatever challenges life throws at them. A few months ago he had to turn round and say ‘I have nothing left - I have given all the advice I can, but for many it’s not enough without policy intervention’. 

That doesn’t give him any right to put the fear of life into people. 

These are the bands

So you would add another between 80k to 150k? Be better to add a 5% extra at the current additonal rate surely?

It's crazy that £50k is "higher rate tax" really.  Especially as the band's are being frozen for a few years.  People on £45k will find themselves in a higher rate tax bracket by the time the freeze ends if they do get pay rises over the next couple of years. 

• Like 1

These are the bands

Add another couple of brackets (50-90,000 and over $250,000)... and the one above $250,000 is taxed at 90%

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

We can't have workers united to try and retain or improve standards for its members can we. 

Not if the service they provide is rubbish compared to others. They will go out of business, sure the union fat cat bosses will be ok though

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Yep. 

'I really really hope i'm wrong' is proof he is scaremongering lol

You're saying this in a cost of living crisis thread ffs.  I think its safe to say we should be scaring people into taking action and looking after their finances.

Most of the video is talking about the 65% increase in fuel bills in october and then stating prices will be about the same in april so a full year of crazy pricing with no slow down.  Non of that is really speculating thats all been widely reported. 

The worry people are not going to be able to afford to 'fix' there mortgages when interest rates rise to tackle inflation is something many have said again is not really some outlandish prediction like comments like 'scaremongering' imply. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Claridge said:

Horrific service compared to Amazon prime etc…last chance saloon for posties, can’t see them lasting long with their idiotic old school unions

10 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Not if the service they provide is rubbish compared to others. They will go out of business, sure the union fat cat bosses will be ok though

I would say Royal mail is decidedly middle of the road  Not quite as goods as say DPD but by no means the worst.  Prime is not quite the same service but I get what you mean in terms of convenience. 

Hermes/Evri are still going despite widely being acknowledged as being the worst service going so I think Royal Mail is safe at present but they are a business like any other so if its not competitive they will struggle.  I think to try and put competitiveness down purely because unions is just naive of you though.

43 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

It's crazy that £50k is "higher rate tax" really.  Especially as the band's are being frozen for a few years.  People on £45k will find themselves in a higher rate tax bracket by the time the freeze ends if they do get pay rises over the next couple of years. 

Plus the 13% Ni contributions. It would be a shame to forget that, although its not a tax I suppose?

6 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

90% of first class post gets there the next day. What other service will get you a letter halfway across the country in 24 hours, for 90p a throw? 

It is a good point. The issue is how many people need that service any more?

I suspect Hermes (Evri) will take over business post soon, we already use it for the convienience.

1 minute ago, kenny said:

It is a good point. The issue is how many people need that service any more?

I suspect Hermes (Evri) will take over business post soon, we already use it for the convienience.

Well then we're ****ed. Hermes is the most dogshit service provider I have ever come across.

57 minutes ago, Bert said:

That doesn’t give him any right to put the fear of life into people. 

Think of it like a financial weather forecast - some people like to know there’s a storm coming and be shown the weather map.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foxes1988 said:

I would say Royal mail is decidedly middle of the road  Not quite as goods as say DPD but by no means the worst.  Prime is not quite the same service but I get what you mean in terms of convenience. 

Hermes/Evri are still going despite widely being acknowledged as being the worst service going so I think Royal Mail is safe at present but they are a business like any other so if its not competitive they will struggle.  I think to try and put competitiveness down purely because unions is just naive of you though.

Depends if the unions are making un realistic demands from a business, which they are as they are a bit of a throwback compared to new modern companies. Whether these new companies are good for workers is another matter, but as companies like Woolworths found out, people will use cheaper/better businesses. I don't like what Amazon are doing re the high street, but they are amazing at what they do and I often use them. Sentiment or brand loyalty doesn't come into it anymore for lots of people. Royal Mail are a bit like the BBC, on borrowed time

40 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Sure the fat cat shareholders will be OK too. I've found the service is OK.

Well the share value has dropped 40% since xmas, so i'm not sure its a great share to hold. Tells you about the strength of the company though

2 hours ago, ealingfox said:

90% of first class post gets there the next day. What other service will get you a letter halfway across the country in 24 hours, for 90p a throw? 

I remember Jack Dee saying see how far you get with delivering a letter for the cost of a 1st class stamp

2 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

That's the plan.