Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

17 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

People will cancel direct debits en masse unless something is done IMO, which is highly unlikely given how inept this government has been even before it completely imploded into in-fighting 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Yep total and utter madness for a number of reasons that i believe (not fact just opinion) that i can briefly outline whilst taking a sh1t

1. Putin has been threatening this for nearly a decade, why are we still so intrinsically tied to Russia? Because we have dunces in charge are could not see a deer in their wing mirrors

2. Which ties into 'other nations are buying more gas' - Asian countries are managed well, they saw a crisis coming and stockpiled LNG well in advance, the dunces in our country were more concerned with milking cash from covid

3. It's 2022!!! Why on earth are we still relying on gas and petrol!!! we have been warned about the dangers of this for literally decades!! Again, the dunces in charge are more concerned with power than protecting their people.

4. Failure to invest in home grown and/or renewable energy sources during the boom years to make us self sufficient, the dunces in charge were more concerned with using the boom years to enrich themselves.

Also that article LOL - 'we had a long winter' - who'd have guessed that would happen in the UK!!!

As you can tell i believe we have utter dunces in charge whose horizon scanning, risk mgt, scenario analysis and crisis preparation ability stretches to around 1 day in advance. I.e they have totally failed to do their jobs, they've been found out and are blaming it on others

Most things in this country were homegrown, but the torrid flogged it all off and spent the money on literally nothing.

4 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Most things in this country were homegrown, but the torrid flogged it all off and spent the money on literally nothing.

Remember when Harold Macmillan accused them of selling off the family silver and on the cheap. He of course was a Tory with a heart 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

How many times in the past have helped out starving Africans? Quite a few I’d say.  Maybe, instead of sending them food packages we should have sent them spades. They could have grown their own crops by now, and they wouldn’t be starving.

Two observations here:

Firstly, I'm going to hazard a guess that the argument used here is not exactly a new one and therefore has been thought of before - and as such the reason for "sending them spades" not working is not just down to the people in Africa.

Secondly, there's only so much you can do even with spades when the ground you try to sow is arid, sometimes poisoned, and lifeless. That's happening with greater and greater prevalence already in Africa and other equatorial regions, will only get worse, and for that...the richer nations are entirely accountable due to their carbon emissions. Yes, even the "piddly little" UK.

In any case, I think it's a matter of fact that there is a humanitarian crisis brewing that the powers that be either terribly underestimate the magnitude of or simply don't give a shit about.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

British Gas/Centrica's profits are up from £262million to £1.34billion

Shell almost doubled its second quarter profits from £4.5billion to £9.4billion

That is nothing to do with Russia. It is everything to do with obscene profiteering.

Spot on. 

If it’s not COVID, it’s Russia, or Putin, or it’s inflation, it’s a shortage of something. If it’s none of these it’s Brexit. 

There‘s always an excuse as to why people are being paid minimum and why products are costing more, yet companies are making billions. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Spot on. 

If it’s not COVID, it’s Russia, or Putin, or it’s inflation, it’s a shortage of something. If it’s none of these it’s Brexit. 

There‘s always an excuse as to why people are being paid minimum and why products are costing more, yet companies are making billions. 

Just because you don't want to cut down on your avocado toast or Starbucks coffees or Netflix subscription or heating. Stop wealth shaming.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Is it just me or does it feel like a tide is turning? I’ve never known so many similar people saying similar things, at some point it has to come to a head. 

Yeah, there definitely appears to be a consensus on the energy companies needing to be held to account.

I think the only difference lies in what form that accountability takes - some people want cheap energy no matter how it is generated, others want a fundamental change in how those companies source their energy too.

3 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Spot on. 

Its definitely covid related and I feel that there seems to be some sort of unspoken agreement between the gov and businesses that large organisations are allowed to extort the population to make up for lost profits due to lockdowns.

There is no way that in normal times the population would be allowed to be extorted in such a way. Even the bootlickers are finding this hard to defend. 

9 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Is it just me or does it feel like a tide is turning? I’ve never known so many similar people saying similar things, at some point it has to come to a head. 

Dunno, I remember when I first started looking at headlines on newspapers, decades ago, and saw things like ‘they make £200 A SECOND’ in relation to energy companies and the outrage that followed. Nothing changes. Likewise I note you work on the railways. Every year when they hike prices they interview some soulless tired corporate gorm in an ill-fitting m&s off the rack suit outside Euston station who says ‘this is it this year, how can they justify this increase, this is the last straw it’s a joke!!’ We’re conditioned in this country to complain loudly but take no action 

3 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Dunno, I remember when I first started looking at headlines on newspapers, decades ago, and saw things like ‘they make £200 A SECOND’ in relation to energy companies and the outrage that followed. Nothing changes. Likewise I note you work on the railways. Every year when they hike prices they interview some soulless tired corporate gorm in an ill-fitting m&s off the rack suit outside Euston station who says ‘this is it this year, how can they justify this increase, this is the last straw it’s a joke!!’ We’re conditioned in this country to complain loudly but take no action 

That's because when we do take action we go extra. Just look at the chaos of the Euros final and that was a jolly affair considering.

Once Brits collectively decide to do something we don't do it by halves. If the riots ever start the Country would more than likely collapse. 

2 minutes ago, Dames said:

That's because when we do take action we go extra. Just look at the chaos of the Euros final and that was a jolly affair considering.

Once Brits collectively decide to do something we don't do it by halves. If the riots ever start the Country would more than likely collapse. 

Re the euros It seemed to be some Home Counties live at home estate agent type boys that couldn’t handle a bit of powder going for some Instagram likes and the media absolutely hyped it up beyond belief. Considering that was the biggest day this country has seen since 1966 it was v tame. Granted the 2011 riots were outrageous 

6 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

How many times in the past have helped out starving Africans? Quite a few I’d say.  Maybe, instead of sending them food packages we should have sent them spades. They could have grown their own crops by now, and they wouldn’t be starving.

I think they're more in need of water to be able to grow said crops, rather than tools they probably already have, or could certainly improvise. 

If we renationalise energy companies, will energy be cheaper?  There are obviously lots of factors involved, but in simple numbers, the total household spending on domestic energy in 1986 (the year british Gas was privatised - electricity was a little later) was £10.8 billion.  In 2021, it was £33.5 billion.  But if it had gone up with inflation, it would have been £34.4 billion.  

So total spending has gone up fractionally less than inflation, but remember there are more households now, and those households have a lot more uses for fuel.  There is far more central heating, tumble driers, dishwashers, TV and computers, for example, than there were then.  costs have fallen significantly since privatisation.  Where would we have been if it hadn't happened?

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Two observations here:

Firstly, I'm going to hazard a guess that the argument used here is not exactly a new one and therefore has been thought of before - and as such the reason for "sending them spades" not working is not just down to the people in Africa.

Secondly, there's only so much you can do even with spades when the ground you try to sow is arid, sometimes poisoned, and lifeless. That's happening with greater and greater prevalence already in Africa and other equatorial regions, will only get worse, and for that...the richer nations are entirely accountable due to their carbon emissions. Yes, even the "piddly little" UK.

In any case, I think it's a matter of fact that there is a humanitarian crisis brewing that the powers that be either terribly underestimate the magnitude of or simply don't give a shit about.

Be Afraid, Be Bury Afraid - A pinch of Life

2 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Surely it’s just going to get to a point where people literally cannot afford to pay whatever they put it up to.

At which point the power companies will offer a chance for people to have a deferment of payment for a limited time which will have to be paid back over time as an additional charge on their bills.