Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

10 minutes ago, kenny said:

The cable was put in to allow us to import energy from France as they 'had' good infrastructure. Its the one Macron was threatening to cut over the fishing argument. He wasn't aware that its actually used both ways and currently its one way.

Around half their plants are closed due to maintenance issues and are reliant on ourselves and the EU for power at the moment.

All this talk of cheap electricity for French people will be very costly to the French government.

... their economy isn't as fvcked as ours though!!

Another Brexit gift 🤬🤬🤬

28 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Another Brexit gift 🤬🤬🤬

It will be interesting to see what happens later. If the French are spending heavily on energy now to keep inflation artificially low, surely this means they will get bitten later on. 

I don't understand economics as such, but if it was as easy as chucking money at energy then every country in the world would do the same.

16 hours ago, Zear0 said:

Sacked off my offices recently and made everyone remote so no dice. 

Highcross car park was the goldmine as was free for a few months. Need to hunt down the remaining free chargers. 

I think you can google podpoint, they should give you some info on free charging points. Tend to be pretty under powered though!

Guy on 5live this morning made an interesting point about the fact that his electricity provider is 100% renewable energy and yet the price increase is the same on his tariff as it is for entirely non renewable sources. 

It's effectively a complete scam as the renewable energy cost is linked completely to non renewable and they haven't bothered to separate the two. 

So many areas the government should be pressurising the industry and instead they are doing nothing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, weller54 said:

Another Brexit gift 🤬🤬🤬

It actually is. Their GDP has only recently recovered to where it was in Q42019 - right as a recession hits. Ours recovered about 10 months ago and is nearly 2% higher than it was before the pandemic.

Further, after outperformiing us this year, their GDP growth is expected to be roughly similar to ours over the next couple of years (both poor at 1.4%-1.7%). Our labour market remains ridiculously robust with an unemployment rate of just 3.8%, compared to 7.3% in France. Keep an eye on monetary policy. The ECB (0.5%) has not been raising interst rates as much as the BoE (1.25%). This negatvely affects economic growth as it makes saving more lucrative. If the ECB raises rates more, which is likely, then the Euro Area GDP growth will likely slow as consumers opt to save, rather than spend. Not that many will be spending much as we all enter recession, anyway...

France has drastically outperformed our government with the cost of living issue, though. Particularly in energy costs.

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, kenny said:

The cable was put in to allow us to import energy from France as they 'had' good infrastructure. Its the one Macron was threatening to cut over the fishing argument. He wasn't aware that its actually used both ways and currently its one way.

Around half their plants are closed due to maintenance issues and are reliant on ourselves and the EU for power at the moment.

All this talk of cheap electricity for French people will be very costly to the French government.

You either pay for it through governments or companies pay for it with wage rises.  Either way inflation will still be there. Wage price spiral is a myth before anyone starts quoting that.

When I was packing my motorbike at the supermarket, I realised I hadn’t paid for an avocado. 

This is it - this is the beginning of the food riots. The fight back against the cost of living crisis starts now. 

Sharpen your aniseed sticks, grasp your asparagus, join me. 

Spar-ta!

• Haha 1

"Crisis talks will take place between energy sector bosses and the government tomorrow after the price cap was forecast to hit more than £4,200 in January.

Chancellor Nadhim Zahawi and Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng will ask gas and electricity company executives to submit a breakdown of expected profits and payouts as well as investment plans for the next three years."

Should have been pulled in a lot sooner but lets see what comes of it tomorrow

7 hours ago, kenny said:

We should hold the buggers to ransom over the illegal channels crossings. For every dinghy that sets sail, reduce capacity by a megawatt. 

39 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

"Crisis talks will take place between energy sector bosses and the government tomorrow after the price cap was forecast to hit more than £4,200 in January.

Chancellor Nadhim Zahawi and Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng will ask gas and electricity company executives to submit a breakdown of expected profits and payouts as well as investment plans for the next three years."

Should have been pulled in a lot sooner but lets see what comes of it tomorrow

This is either just a pr move to look like they are trying to do something or they have been way to slow to get the company executives in,  either way its another cock up by this government.

9 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

We should hold the buggers to ransom over the illegal channels crossings. For every dinghy that sets sail, reduce capacity by a megawatt. 

What do you expect the French to do have border police covering their coastline for hundreds of miles 24/7

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

If we have a problem with immigration then we need to solve it,  not pass it on to a foreign power. Plus reducing power to France at this time of year is going to a much less detrimental to them, than us being cut off in winter,  when they have access generating power.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, foxes1988 said:

This is either just a pr move to look like they are trying to do something or they have been way to slow to get the company executives in,  either way its another cock up by this government.

What do you expect the French to do have border police covering their coastline for hundreds of miles 24/7

Lol they all depart mainly between le touqet and Calais. And yes, that’s what our government have paid them to do. Not chaperone them to mid channel. 

1 hour ago, Robo61 said:

If we have a problem with immigration then we need to solve it,  not pass it on to a foreign power. Plus reducing power to France at this time of year is going to a much less detrimental to them, than us being cut off in winter,  when they have access generating power.

Do we really have a problem with immigration though, or at the very least in the sense that the right wing press see it.

I found this rather interesting from a day or so ago, which also on a separate note shows why we should never go to a fully elected / patronage driven House of Lords. 

Thank the lord for cross benchers who don't have to roll out tired, untrue cliches driven via perceived party loyalties.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Thing will only get worse..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62492524

I must be completely doing things wrong.  My energy bill isn't unaffordable.

Energy bill is £95 per month for a three bedroom house. This has £150 credit currently.

I really am unsure where this "project fear" stuff is coming from.  Admittedly, I do live on the South Coast.

54 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

Energy bill is £95 per month for a three bedroom house. This has £150 credit currently.

I really am unsure where this "project fear" stuff is coming from.  Admittedly, I do live on the South Coast.

Then you've either not had to renew your contract in the past 9 or so months or you live alone and don't do much in the house at all.

I locked in July 2021 and I pay £84 a month, and I live alone in a 2 up 2 down.

New standing charges are about 50-60p a day, so you'll pay £15-£18 before even using any electricity and gas at all.

57 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

Mine isn't anywhere near as bad as some people but it was went up 45% already this year.

Gas is up the same.

We are comfortable but even this is stretching ua

2 hours ago, Robo61 said:

UK is actually in a much better position. We, along with Spain have the highest number of LNG capable ports and the prices we have been and will be able to attract are much less than the rest of the European continent. We're close to capacity on pumping that back to France et al as well, and will be doing so well into Winter as well.

Along with the other points made about current fiscal policy of the French and its eventual unwinding (this will happen), it is also interesting to note that EDF are currently suing the French government for Billions over the lost profits when Macron brought in the price freezes. This may help EDF fend off the bailiffs as it circles the drain due to massive overruns on its nuclear plants maintenance programme and its new nuclear reactor being massively delayed as well. Not everything is greener in  the Gaulic Republic at present.

Edited by blabyboy
Fat fingers