Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

It strikes me the energy price cap was brought in to stop the energy companies forming a cabal and making huge profits from people who have no choice but to pay their prices.

Yet this is exactly what is happening and the cap keeps going up. :dunno:

I get that demand after pandemic and war in Ukraine have pushed prices up due to limited produce versus demand... but to this degree? I don't get it... other than something stinks.

• Like 1

On 09/08/2022 at 19:31, Lionator said:

The issue here is absolutely bad governance. The French, Germans and Americans, our closest allies, are negating these issues through taking control of energy, by planning ahead for the winter etc. Ours are useless, you’ve got the next PM suggesting that the issue to this is tax cuts.

This is because for years we’ve had reactive governments that never plan for the future, even if they bullshit us saying they do. We install them based on their manifestos which are just lies and all they do is see themselves as managers of what’s already there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

It strikes me the energy price cap was brought in to stop the energy companies forming a cabal and making huge profits from people who have no choice but to pay their prices.

Yet this is exactly what is happening and the cap keeps going up. :dunno:

I get that demand after pandemic and war in Ukraine have pushed prices up due to limited produce versus demand... but to this degree? I don't get it... other than something stinks.

To be fair to the suppliers I don’t think it’s them making the supranormal profits, moreso the producers like Shell, Total, Exxon Mobil. And the why is money. Profit.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bryn said:

To be fair to the suppliers I don’t think it’s them making the supranormal profits, moreso the producers like Shell, Total, Exxon Mobil. And the why is money. Profit.

I’m pretty sure this is all about the government trying to claw as much money back as possible through vat because of how much they handed out during the pandemic. It’ll be tax cuts next as sweetners for the next election.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Brizzle Fox said:

Do we really have a problem with immigration though, or at the very least in the sense that the right wing press see it.

I found this rather interesting from a day or so ago, which also on a separate note shows why we should never go to a fully elected / patronage driven House of Lords. 

Thank the lord for cross benchers who don't have to roll out tired, untrue cliches driven via perceived party loyalties.

We do without a don't have a problem with migration currently (small boats) but it is one of our own making as explained very well by his lordship.

On 10/08/2022 at 18:52, filthyfox said:

I must be completely doing things wrong.  My energy bill isn't unaffordable.

Energy bill is £95 per month for a three bedroom house. This has £150 credit currently.

I really am unsure where this "project fear" stuff is coming from.  Admittedly, I do live on the South Coast.

Similar story for us. 3 bed house, 3 of us living in it and work from home so my electric usage is quite high. We’re mostly electric at the moment as only use gas for the boiler which gives us a couple showers a day and a bath for my lad. We’re using £115 a month at the moment on a standard tariff , which in fairness is what we’d usually pay at the height of winter. Worth noting aswell that our dishwasher is on twice a day and the washing machine once day. I probably couldn’t use more electricity if I tried is what I’m trying to say.

On 10/08/2022 at 18:52, filthyfox said:

I must be completely doing things wrong.  My energy bill isn't unaffordable.

Energy bill is £95 per month for a three bedroom house. This has £150 credit currently.

I really am unsure where this "project fear" stuff is coming from.  Admittedly, I do live on the South Coast.

Martin Lewis? This is the guy who seems to be on the side of folk struggling to pay their energy bills. What his YouTube videos don't mention though is that he himself has a £123 million fortune!

Edited by String fellow
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Martin Lewis? This is the guy who seems to be on the side of folk struggling to pay their energy bills. What his YouTube videos don't mention though is that he himself has a £123 million fortune!

I can’t stand the bloke, far too enthusiastic for my liking. But credit where it’s due, despite his wealth I think his heart is in the right place and he’s genuinely concerned and trying to help people. Everything he’s gone on about regarding energy prices over the last year has come to fruition and will likely continue to unless there’s government intervention.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

I can’t stand the bloke, far too enthusiastic for my liking. But credit where it’s due, despite his wealth I think his heart is in the right place and he’s genuinely concerned and trying to help people. Everything he’s gone on about regarding energy prices over the last year has come to fruition and will likely continue to unless there’s government intervention.

Unfortunately,  its the new religion.  You end up wasting a lot of time trying to save money, and then you realise that you are already doing what he says!

Ie- shop around for insurance every year.

Get 3 credit cards because they give different things-  i appear to have a constant supply of cheap money from Teacobank and Virgin Money!

7 hours ago, String fellow said:

What has that got to do with anything?  Is it beyond your imagination that a successful person can are about others?  How strange,

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

What has that got to do with anything?  Is it beyond your imagination that a successful person can are about others?  How strange,

Unfortunately Mr Lewis is the exception rather than the rule.

History and present times show rather clearly that success leading to power very often corrupts.

So yes, "successful" people can care about other people, but there rather clearly isn't enough of that going round.

9 hours ago, String fellow said:

Dear sweet mother of jesus. Bloke genuinely tries to help people, so what’s his fortune matter? He’s certainly not greedy 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Unfortunately Mr Lewis is the exception rather than the rule.

History and present times show rather clearly that success leading to power very often corrupts.

So yes, "successful" people can care about other people, but there rather clearly isn't enough of that going round.

Its an interesting perspective;  I would say the majority of successful people build businesses which provide jobs for the rest of us, pay a majority of of taxes which funds our public spending.

9 hours ago, String fellow said:

The man has built a career around money saving tips, I'd expect him to have alot of money.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Its an interesting perspective;  I would say the majority of successful people build businesses which provide jobs for the rest of us, pay a majority of of taxes which funds our public spending.

I would say there is a difference between supplying a method of subsistence to people (which has required an awful lot of fighting to no longer be overly brutal/coercive/dangerous), begrudgingly paying taxes when they have no other choice but to do so and actually caring about other people.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 3